Trade winds: Get Petracca

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

eddiesmith
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 16 times

Re: Get Petracca

Post by eddiesmith »

SLORT wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2024 4:51 pm
Magpie Russ wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2024 3:26 pm Christian Petracca (29 years old on 4 Jan 2025)
Pick inside the Top 10 and a Future First?
If we can wrangle a Pick inside the Top 10 (can we ask Fremantle to trade Pick 8 back to us? :wink:) + our Future First Round would be fair... based on above.
Freo has got a busy trade period ahead of it with several players trying to get back to WA. I think that Freo's (our) number #9 will probably be going to Richmond for Shai Bolton. Though they'd still have a #10 & 17 after that, I don't think they'd accept anything less than Bobby Hill. So if we're willing to cash Bobby Hill + future 1st (+ steak knives) then yeah, we could possibly land The Petracca.
If some of those rumors earlier in the year about Bobby going back to WA were real then yeah, maybe that's the deal we should aim for.
I like that deal and if Bobby wants to go then we shouldn't accept anything less than a first round pick for the reigning Norm Smith medalist.
qldmagpie67
Been liked: 78 times

Post by qldmagpie67 »

Ok don’t compare the Petracca deal with a Cameron deal
Firstly Geelong gave up 3 first round picks but they where all double digit picks and pushed further back after compensation picks
Right now we have limited draft capital (Schulz trade takes away our 1st round pick) but we aren’t without options

If we are serious about getting Petracca then we can make it happen
We have Macrae McInnes Richard’s all of whom may want out
We can bundle up a player (possibly 2) and a 2nd round pick to get back in to 1st again
Gold Coast and Lions wants draft points this year and next, so we might find a way of doing some deals there
They both have academy kids plus Lions have Ashcroft junior F/S coming out
Both Port and Crows want ready made players who are younger.
Richard’s and Macrae would suit Crows needs or maybe they might looks at McInnes and Macrae
We currently have picks 32/47/50 (1173 points)
Lions have pick 14 currently (1161) points
Crows have pick 27 (793 points) and 42 (395 points)
So Crows get 2 players plus our pick 50
We bring in 27 and 42 (we now have 27/32/42/47)(2088 points)
Suns have pick 5 (1878 points) they also have 13 and 20 coming in from last year
We send the Suns 32/42/47 and future 3rd round (2025) Suns send us pick 5
We now have pick 5 and 27 left
Now we look for a trade for whoever is leftover from Richard’s McInnes Macrae hopefully get in a 2nd round pick (might have to sweeten the pot with a future 4th round pick)

Now we have 5 and 27 and another 2nd round pick (around 25)
Lions have pick 14 (1161 points) we trade them our 2 second round picks (worth approx 1480/1500 points)
Now we have picks 5 and 14 to start bargaining with for Petracca and personally I feel that’s more than enough considering the terms of his deal left

There’s also the option to see if Fremantle will trade our pick back to us for a player like IQ and a 2nd round pick (they’re looking for a Aish type replacement) would still leave Freo with 2 first round picks

There is also the option of trading a player like IQ (who would play like the Brayshaw or Bullen type role Melbourne need) and only using pick 5 and keep our 2 x second round picks to use in the draft
Im not saying we should do it I’m saying there is a way to get a deal done
A smart list manager (which I don’t know if we have right now) will find a way if he becomes available and wants to land at Collingwood
Presti35
Has liked: 163 times
Been liked: 59 times

Post by Presti35 »

If we're talking Harley Reid, then I'd be all in for whatever it took to get him. Petracca at 29, just cant possibly be worth such good picks (which we dont have anyway).

Yes he is a fantastic player and it could propel us to another flag, but there are many danger signs flashing too. I'd also like to add a decent free agent to help make up a bit for losing picks.
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
Presti35
Has liked: 163 times
Been liked: 59 times

Post by Presti35 »

Another thing to think about when talking about Petracca is; "why not Bailey Smith?"
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
SLORT
Has liked: 134 times
Been liked: 62 times

Post by SLORT »

So he has lost half a season of footy and gone through a car-crash like level of recovery all thanks to the knee of our Collingwood captain. And this traumatic event has seen him draw the conclusion that he wants to come to Collingwood. Call me paranoid but I find this a little...bizarre. I just wish that he'd been as keen on us last time he re-signed with the Dees.

Another thing to look at ~

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pg- ... n-petracca

He wasn't in the most amazing form before he was injured, with only 2 standout games in the previous 8. I know Melbourne has been off the boil this year, and they've been experimenting with how they would use him (this may also be why he's had enough, having been forced to spend more time forward than he wants to).

If we trade Bobby Hill who is on half the money (roughly), has double the footy remaining (24yo), for a guy that may or may not be past his prime and if he turns out to be a lemon (and it's happened before people...many many times) then we've lost a heart and soul x-factor match winner and whatever other talent we may have gotten via the draft. I'd personally say no.

I'm just worried that this may be some sort of weird karma shit about to bite the club in the ass. Fate offering us a shit hand after they got dudded by Lamumba and Grundy.
Last edited by SLORT on Wed Aug 21, 2024 2:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
SLORT
Has liked: 134 times
Been liked: 62 times

Post by SLORT »

Who's in the mix ~

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/teams/ ... 5e4d476be9

PS ~ Garry Lyon enters concussion protocols after suggesting that Petracca be told to stay for the next three years, give his all, and then they'd be happy to trade him to Tassie...what a flog.
qldmagpie67
Been liked: 78 times

Post by qldmagpie67 »

I’m hearing that part of Petracca’s issue is he believes the club didn’t reach out checking on his welfare
They weren’t able to visit but only the club doctor Gawn Viney and couple other players contacted his fiancée to check in on him
He didn’t hear once from the coach or any board member or anyone from the football department until it came out publicly the family was upset
Conversely Darcy Moore reached out on several occasions to both his fiancée and family during this time checking on him as did Fly and Jeff Browne and Pendles
He’s stated to those close to him he felt like because he couldn’t play the coach and club didn’t care about his well being
He’s also said he felt Moore and the Collingwood football club showed real care even immediately after the incident with the Collingwood doctor going to his side with the Melbourne doctor and then also during his recovery
Apparently Moore as been in constant contact via text every few days checking in on him

Now I understand Melbourne took the position after it came out originally they where leaving him in peace to focus on his recovery
The player feels abandoned by them and it’s a real issue
If he wants out he’s likely to go real hard at the club and coach and he’s perceived lack of care
The situation then would become untenable for the club
Craigmac
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Craigmac »

When you look at our list profile the club has to consider making some tough decisions to get us back into the trade period with some aggressive moves. This has served Hawthorn well and West Coast and Richmond are examples of what not to do.

To be aggressive we need to trade players with some value at the back end of their career, even players we love who played in the premiership. Especially now that Pendles, and Sidebottom are playing another year and Howe has triggered an extension. Mitchell has a year to go also and is not getting any faster.

The 3 that come to mind are Jack Crisp, Brody Mihocek and Will Hoskin-Elliott. I love all 3 for different reasons but each may attract interest of clubs for different reasons. Mihocek (who spends alot of time injured) would be a good 3rd forward for a contender, Crisp never misses and would be good with a younger team and WHE is versatile. Could we get a range of 2nd rounders for these 3 that we could do something with to get more targeted talent.

Add trades for Macrae, Markov and Richards may give us some more to play with.

With our existing and future draft hand can we then get some of Battle, Petracca, Smith, Waterman and maybe a surprise like Schultz from last year?
Gerry Cooper
Has liked: 117 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by Gerry Cooper »

I think we should be cautious about Petracca. He is still coming back from a very serious injury and there is no indication of how he will be after he is recovered. Sometimes quite serious injuries can take a lot to get over in the player's mind. Also he will have missed a substantial amount of footy - is he fit enough to do a pre-season for 2025? We would need to know if there are any side effects the injury may cause too. Petracca will cost us a lot so we would need to ask is he worth that amount going forward rather than for what he was.

Maybe we should wait until 2026 and see how his recovery unfolds.
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.�
Piesnchess
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 72 times

Post by Piesnchess »

qldmagpie67 wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2024 7:12 pm

Wow, im very very impressed , you make a damn good case for us REALLY being able to get him, great analysis, you could take over from Hine, easily ! Yeh, it may happen, I do know he was a one eyed Magpie as a kid, and is best mates with Josh Daicos, so cross all fingers and toes, we can only hope.
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Gerry Cooper

Post by Gerry Cooper »

Piesnchess wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2024 7:27 pm
Wow, im very very impressed , you make a damn good case for us REALLY being able to get him, great analysis, you could take over from Hine, easily ! Yeh, it may happen, I do know he was a one eyed Magpie as a kid, and is best mates with Josh Daicos, so cross all fingers and toes, we can only hope.
The big flaw in that grand plan is who replaces the players we trade out to get him? Will Petracca when he comes back play more than one position to cover the holes in the team the grand plan creates?. Last time I looked the VFL team isn't overflowing with dynamic intercepting backmen (IQ) (particularly ones with talented younger brothers coming on). Our depth generally isnt good and trading out the players that maybe earmarked for senior roles soon and depleting our already depleted backline makes no sense at all.
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.�
eddiesmith
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 16 times

Post by eddiesmith »

That’s the beauty of the Hill trade, if he wants to go whilst a big loss, it is one area we have the depth in. It would mean keeping Richard’s and if you had JDG and Petracca, you can pretty much switch them between midfield and forward, there’s no let up for the opposition.
piffdog
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 35 times

Post by piffdog »

If losing Bobby Hill could pave the way to get Patracca I think we should consider it. Having said that, I wouldn't like to see him (Hill) go without some really appealing outcome otherwise... He has a lot of very exciting footy ahead of him...
It's never as good/nor bad as it seems...
Piesnchess
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 72 times

Post by Piesnchess »

Whats this Bobby Hill stuff, wants to leave, I have not heard a thing about that, nothing on SEN, Utube, no rumours, sounds like scuttlebutt to me, wont happen, no way will he go. Dunno, now im going a bit cold on Petracca, his injury sounds very serious, might be a big risk taking him, bit dicey now, all things being considered.
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Gerry Cooper

Post by Gerry Cooper »

If Bobby doesnt have his heart set on leaving then I would keep him. I'm not sold on Petracca. Bobby is 24. Petracca 28, and 29 before he plays again. He might be good for maybe 3 years and after that we have another old bloke on our hands. Bobby has more upside period.