Pre-Match. Magpies v. Demons. All comments.

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

warburton lad
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 46 times

Re: Pre-Match. Magpies v. Demons. All comments.

Post by warburton lad »

Great to see excellent VFL form rewarded: Dean, Allan, Macrae and Richards.

This is the sort of selection integrity that must prevail in 2025.
Especially if some of the many vets begin to show the signs of terminal decline.

I would imagine that several players would be anxious right about now:

Have Long, Bytel, Sullivan, McInnes, Macrae,Johnson, Eyre, Begg, Richards done enough to stay on the list, or are they on the way to the Departure Lounge???

Will there be some surprise retirements that have not been flagged??

I remember when James Clement retired, it was totally unexpected and he left the ground for the last time with just a cursory wave to the fans...

Tomorrow night could be a fascinating watch (especially after the game)...

Floreat Pica.
Firm in the belief that number 17 flag is only months away...
Charlie Oneeye
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 13 times

Post by Charlie Oneeye »

Happy to see Dean and Allan in the side.
Happy to see Macrae in, lets see if he can influence.
Happy to see Parker still getting a run. Lets see if there is another incremental improvement.

With Bytel out, I guess Richards will be on the bench and Parker sub.
Piesnchess
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 72 times

Post by Piesnchess »

For Gawds sakes, play Joe Richards, I do NOT want to lose this kid, hes got terrific promise.
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
think better
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 26 times

Post by think better »

I have a sneaking suspicion that this might be Sidey's last game. Pendles could easily have sat this one out but would love to play one last time with Sidey. It's interesting that the club site makes mention of Pendles and Sidey equalling the record for the most games played together.
I think therefore I think - I think
lazzadesilva
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 51 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

Some players playing for the retention of their list spots. Interesting to see how much difference this makes in the way they play. I think this will be the last game they play in a Collingwood jumper unless they play blinders that make them impossible to delete. Overall it’s a sad situation that we shouldn’t have found ourselves in, a combination of injuries, bordering on cheating umpiring (well someone’s got to say the bleeding obvious because the AFL are gutless morons who prefer to ignore this and put it in the never to be opened too hard basket🤬), bad luck and very poor form. This was an unavoidable combination of disasters that shattered our dreams of consecutive flags. Need to win this game, get rid of those who don’t have the “right stuff” and start planning for next season with a different game plan that will take time to dissect. A huge task.
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
piffdog
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by piffdog »

I wouldnt have thought one more ganme would be sufficient to change the view of those for whom the papers are marked (and probably shouldn't be...).
It's never as good/nor bad as it seems...
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 86 times

Post by Pies2016 »

I’m a bit surprised that a team bereft of both McStay and Miochek can’t fit in either one of Krueger and McInnes into the forward line. Both have been ok when allowed to play four quarters in the seniors ( albeit that hasn’t been often ) and Krueger kicked three against the Dees last time. Cox can play down there but ideally you want two dedicated ruckman to exploit Gawn and also work over their second ruck option. There’s a bit of rain to consider but not selecting one tall to replace either of the two key positions missing, is very odd.
At this stage, neither McInnes or Krueger have had their contracts renewed for 2025 or beyond, so make of that what you will.
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
qldmagpie67
Been liked: 78 times

Post by qldmagpie67 »

Jojo it won’t be Sidey’s last game
He’s said publicly he’s playing on next year
The only thing is if the club offers him a deal or not or he plays on elsewhere
I’m assuming with the departure of Wright he will likely get a 1 year deal at Collingwood
Wright was never going to agree to a unchanged list (meaning veterans) and a job share arrangement the club wanted to try
So his resignation is more to do with the direction of the club and its list more so than anything else
He’s smart enough to realise with the draft concessions coming in the next few years for Tasmania side trying to rebuild or poach a top tier free agent is going to be very difficult
Tassie will be given massive draft advantages and clubs who have top tier free agents willing to go there will get there top end draft picks
Clubs who have older lists and no top tier free agents to trade will be in for a world of pain for a extended period
We enter 2025 with the oldest list in modern history and many of those veterans are coming off injury hit 2024 seasons or have shown signs of there performance slipping drastically
Even Pendles has shown he’s struggling with some injuries and running out 4 quarters at the level we are used to
Come 2026 we will bereft of experience and close to 0 players aged 22-25 who are top liners (Nick being the exception)
Donny
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 23 times

Post by Donny »

XX
Donny.

It's a game. Enjoy it. :D