BOTH Pendles and Sidey should retire.

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

RudeBoy
Been liked: 73 times

BOTH Pendles and Sidey should retire.

Post by RudeBoy »

There, I've said it. Both Pendles and Sidey should retire. Not because they each can't still play good football, but they no longer are great players, and are now preventing us developing younger, potentially better, midfield players like Allan and DeMattia. Once we get JDG and possibly Mitchell (though I'd prefer he hang up his boots too) back, with Nick Daicos, there will be no room for other young midfielders, if we retain Pendles and Sidey, unless they are prepared to play a lot in the VFL or as a sub.

Last night I saw the future, with Allan throwing his body into packs and getting lightning hand-passes out to others. I was excited as I have been about a new player for a long, long time. If we continue playing Pendles and sidey for another year, it will severely restrict the development of our next generation of midfielders who are ready NOW.
daics aka the ruckman
Been liked: 3 times

Re: BOTH Pendles and Sidey should retire.

Post by daics aka the ruckman »

Somewhat agree. Hanging on to what we have, and seeing it decline is sad. Would rather put the game time into the younger players.
Sidebottom has found a particular niche as a direct opponent to some players but not every team will have this match up.
Pendles is looking tired. But it is the end of the season.
go pies
qldmagpie67
Been liked: 78 times

Post by qldmagpie67 »

Rude I don’t disagree totally but I think only 1 of them can play each week
Pendles is slowing quickly and knowing he’s becoming more susceptible to injury isn’t helping him.
He’s still smart enough to get into good positions but his legs are shot

Sidey has had to be reinvented the second half of the season. He was a complete bust on the wing, moved to HBF without much success then into the middle which he isn’t suited to but then got a run with role (not a tag role) which he did quite well.
He’s never had speed but can still run quite well. His field kicking has always been iffy and won’t improve
I still think we need some experience but in which lines and who is the biggest question
If they where to retire it should have been announced a couple weeks ago
They both deserve proper send offs
I understand the excitement about Allan he looked right at home in the middle
Add Mitchell and JDG around him and all of a sudden we look really good there
Rude I hope we become less reliant on the veterans and the younger players force themselves into our best 22 each week
piedys
Has liked: 281 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by piedys »

No to that Rudey; we all know we aren't getting near the top eight in 2025, so no point in throwing the babies out with the bathwater. Stupid saying I know, but...

Finn and Allan looked somewhat more at home in the middle last night, albeit aided by playing a midfield minus Petracca, Oliver, and of course Glassjaw.
Pendles and Sidey will be required to further the on-field education of those players, in relation to positioning and other 1%er tactics.
Whilst those things can also be taught from the sidelines, I'd prefer it to be done on the park.

As we know Mitchell will see out his 3 years in 2025, before his body fails him for the final time. We need him to assist in the tutoring phase for the younger ones too.
M I L L A N E 4 2 forever
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by Pies2016 »

Gutsy call R B. The only piece I would add, is that being retained, doesn’t automatically equate to playing seniors every week. If their form is good enough, then they keep out the young blokes. If it isn’t, then the vets are either “ managed “ for a week or playing VFL and offering valuable guidance to the kids.
The other option is that their game day roles could also be modified next year. There’s an entire pre season to come where either of them could reinvent themselves in a different position that doesn’t include spending the majority of the time in and around the middle.
The club would also be acutely aware that 2025 is the handing of the baton from the old to the young, so the apprentices will be given every opportunity to step up and own their position. That mindset of knowing it’s your time is very different to knowing you’re spending another development year in the VFL. On the back of that, I expect a huge pre seasons from our young blokes in the knowledge that 2025 will be their first real year of opportunity to hold down a spot in the seniors. It’s their time but they will still have to prepare properly to take it.
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
Gerry Cooper
Has liked: 117 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by Gerry Cooper »

I've been thinking for most of this year they should both retire at the end of the season. That process probably should have started with Sidey going after the grand final last year and then Pendles this year. Both of them have had issues running out games (And an couple of other of our veterans too) which affected our performance in a few of our close finishes. Both are on the list for next year but if they arent cutting it I dont want to see them as automatic selections any more.
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.�
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 85 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

They will retire soon. I can't see Pendlebury going for much more than another 2 or 3 seasons and I fully expect Sidebottom to retire around the time he passes Pendlebury's Collingwood games record.
shawthing
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by shawthing »

Both of them are going nowhere!

In any case you simply can't retire these two unbelievably great career performers without a sendoff game. That would be a disgrace.

We have very very few AFL records and personal achievements (no one in the team of the 20th century for instance - still can't get my head around that!). I want to get Pendlebury to the games record even if we have to nurse him to the line.

But more than that Sidebottom was massive last night and I don't know what game people were watching who think otherwise. Pendlebury is a coach on the ground.

Don't get seduced by a one off performance by a kid. We've seen it all before. Remember Braydon Sier?

Come back to me in 100 games to see whether Allan is a superstar or not.
SLORT
Has liked: 134 times
Been liked: 62 times

Post by SLORT »

shawthing wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2024 11:28 am But more than that Sidebottom was massive last night and I don't know what game people were watching who think otherwise. Pendlebury is a coach on the ground.

Don't get seduced by a one off performance by a kid. We've seen it all before. Remember Braydon Sier?
Mark McGough comes to mind.

And Sidey has already deeply committed himself to the tagging / run with role. Got his middle name changed to "Innes" recently.
piffdog
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 35 times

Post by piffdog »

I accept the premise of the OP, but all I would say is that the young gap between a 300 gamer who is slowing from a 2 gamer who has a couple flashes of brilliance is stark.

I hope the young guys come on and we have to find more game time for them, but they’ll find the going a little tougher when they’re playing in a game with any normal amount of pressure (last night was like an intraclub…)
It's never as good/nor bad as it seems...
RudeBoy
Been liked: 73 times

Post by RudeBoy »

piffdog wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2024 12:18 pm I accept the premise of the OP, but all I would say is that the young gap between a 300 gamer who is slowing from a 2 gamer who has a couple flashes of brilliance is stark.

I hope the young guys come on and we have to find more game time for them, but they’ll find the going a little tougher when they’re playing in a game with any normal amount of pressure (last night was like an intraclub…)
Good point piffdog. The lack of physicality was a major reason Lipinski played such a great game, as unfortunately, he tends to wilt under real pressure. I guess my main point is that both Sidey and Pendles' performance levels are declining significantly before our eyes. Sidey certainly has found a niche as a tagger, but I'm not sure we need a tagger most weeks. As for Pendles, he really only plays well in the midfield, and even then only every few weeks, and often goes missing for stretches during games.

It would hinder and risk the development of players like Allan and DeMattia, if they have to continue playing mainly VFL football in 2025.
lazzadesilva
Been liked: 51 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

shawthing wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2024 11:28 am
Heaps fit this bill. Heath Shepherd, Tom Morrison, Terry Keays, Mark Orval, Gary Shaw, Derek Shaw, Stephen Clifford, Greg Whitcroft, Julian Rowe, Sean Rustling, Matthew Sharenberg, Jack Magden, John Anthony etc etc……………
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
Presti35
Has liked: 163 times
Been liked: 59 times

Post by Presti35 »

1 more season for Sidey, 2 more for Pendles. Can't wait to see it.
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
Piesnchess
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 72 times

Post by Piesnchess »

Presti35 wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2024 1:51 pm 1 more season for Sidey, 2 more for Pendles. Can't wait to see it.

THIS. Both still playing very good footy, Sidey is now a great annoying tagger, Pendles is the General on ground, our second Coach. Leave it up to Malthouse, who said last week, paraphrasing, " I dont care if a player is 25 or 33 yrs old, if hes playing good, reliable footy, contributes to the team, can lead onfield, and still worth their spot, I can see NO reason why they cannot continue to play on ". Well said MM ! :o
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
lazzadesilva
Been liked: 51 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

Let there be no ageism at Collingwood 🙄 Otherwise we will be accused of racism and ageism with sexism to follow by the hack media 😩
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️