Trade winds: Get Petracca

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

neil
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 21 times

Re: Get Petracca

Post by neil »

^You cannot trade a player unless they agree
Nothing suggests DeGoey is unhappy here
We need mids especially with Pendles Sidey Mitchell Crisp nearing the end
Carlscum 120 years being cheating scum
Magpie Russ
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Magpie Russ »

Mr Miyagi wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2024 6:54 pm Sounds like he’s staying.
Sounds like he’s going.

(to be continued)
Piesnchess
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 72 times

Post by Piesnchess »

Magpie Russ wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2024 8:10 am
Mr Miyagi wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2024 6:54 pm Sounds like he’s staying.
Sounds like he’s going.

(to be continued)

Did we learn stuff all from the Grundy, Treloar, Stevo fiasco, ?? hes no spring chicken, banged up, dont touch him with a friggin barge pole. Next.
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
SLORT
Has liked: 134 times
Been liked: 62 times

Post by SLORT »

Just finished watching Footy Classified. If any of the "brand Petracca" (ie., cooking show, social media, need for a bigger fan-base / crowds, etc) is legit then I'd say yeah nah. Sounds like a bull blown drama-queen. But who knows, it's probably just a case of the media scum (McClure) stirring the pot.
Presti35
Has liked: 163 times
Been liked: 59 times

Post by Presti35 »

It's a short term solution that will cost us in future years. Meaning we would have to win a flag in 2025/26 to have this seen as a success.

It is simply the contract in terms of years and money that is the issue.

Anyway, Carlton are heavily linked and seem willing to trade Harry McKay. To me that is more than enough to satisfy the Dees, even though their fans are expecting a first round pick, a star player, and more in return.

If Collingwood were to make a deal, I would say next years 1st and an upgrade of 2nd round picks and that is it. The Dees wont take it, but that is all we have. It's just such a huge contract to take on that WILL become an issue in the future. It may come down to which team wants him and which team he makes public as his choice.

Big trade period coming for the Dees. Petracca, Oliver, Neal-Bullen, anyone else?
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
Piesnchess
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 72 times

Post by Piesnchess »

I dont want Tom Lynch either, age factor , injury prone, four matches in two yrs, made of glass, as Reid was. Pass.
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Presti35
Has liked: 163 times
Been liked: 59 times

Post by Presti35 »

^ Getting off topic on Petracca here, but Lynch at 32 (In October) is a massive worry. 8 games in 2 years. We were linked to Tex Walker earlier in the year too. What does it say about our plan for 2025, if we really are going after 30+ year old FFs?

Could he regain his form from 2022? https://afltables.com/afl/stats/players ... ynch1.html
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 113 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

If we do go for Trac — a big if — then I hope we bend Melbourne over a barrel re his salary, like they did us with Grundy who peed off to Sydney.
Johnno75
Been liked: 16 times

Post by Johnno75 »

Footy Classified putting a scenario that Melbourne have the cap space to take a large chunk of his salary to get a high draft pick in return.
Human behavioural studies suggest people who use a lot of swear words tend to be more honest & trustworthy.
eddiesmith
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 16 times

Post by eddiesmith »

Problem with the Carlton rumours is they are all coming from Carlton supporters, nothing else.

But the biggest issue is, why would a contracted Harry McKay got to Melbourne when they are headed south and Carlton are playing finals???
Boot
Been liked: 3 times

Post by Boot »

Whilst Petracca was a top 10 player in the AFL before his injury during the Kings Birthday game, I think the severity of that hit may impact his performances moving forward. Dusty Martin was a shadow of himself after the big hit he took that damaged his kidney / Ribs and I think Petracca's was a bigger hit. Hence I say buyer beware when looking at recruiting Petracca. I can't see any scenario that Collingwood could meet the demands that Melbourne would have to clear Petracca vs other teams such as Richmond/ Essendon and Carlton.
I too have concerns about the potential of recruiting Tom Lynch from Richmond. He seems to have passed it so I would leave him at Richmond to drag them down for a couple more years.
Collingwood Domination. Envy of the Nation!
LaurieHolden
Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by LaurieHolden »

Melbourne is doing everything possible to head back to the pre-Roos days. Their administration is a basket case. I wouldn't touch Gary Pert, his management legacy is a train wreck.
The most important thing is to get Carlton to overpay and bugger their salary cap for another decade. This is usually when the blouse would pick up the phone to the Pratt family to 'manage' the financial side of things.
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
SLORT
Has liked: 134 times
Been liked: 62 times

Post by SLORT »

LaurieHolden wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2024 1:57 pm Melbourne is doing everything possible to head back to the pre-Roos days. Their administration is a basket case. I wouldn't touch Gary Pert, his management legacy is a train wreck.
The most important thing is to get Carlton to overpay and bugger their salary cap for another decade. This is usually when the blouse would pick up the phone to the Pratt family to 'manage' the financial side of things.
A perfect example of too many cooks spoiling the broth. Pert, Richardson, Mark Williams, Goodwin...this is what happens when you have too many "football people". A club only does well when you set people with clear roles and responsibilities. Otherwise everyone is left assuming that someone else has done what's necessary when it was necessary. Pies beware.
Magpie Russ
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Magpie Russ »

Boot wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2024 1:20 pm I too have concerns about the potential of recruiting Tom Lynch from Richmond. He seems to have passed it so I would leave him at Richmond to drag them down for a couple more years.
Healthy most of his career (bar a knee? at GC) then broker foot in in 2023 (4 games); serious hamstring in 2024 (4 games).
The previous years at Richmond: 2019 (25 games), 2020 (19), 2021 (18), 2022 (19).

31 years old.

From all report the broken foot (2023) has mended (like we hope will happen for Tom Mitchell) and his hamstring has mended (like we hope for JDG) then, managed properly he has some good years ahead of him.

Joe Daniher to Brisbane RFA; Hogan to GWS 3rd Round pick, Peter Wright to Essendon future 4th round pick - whatever you think of those player there have been KPF available cheaply.

If we can get the Contract cost to an acceptable level - he has 1.5 million owed next year apparently... if we can spread that over 3 years paying him $700K?
I am ok with that.

Lynch and McStay would be a headache.
think positive
Has liked: 212 times
Been liked: 84 times

Post by think positive »

hmm, lynch cheap, yes please, but i would love love love to get trac!!!!!
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!