Trade Targets ~ Free Agency & MSD player movements

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Presti35
Has liked: 163 times
Been liked: 59 times

Re: Trade Targets ~ Free Agency & MSD player movements

Post by Presti35 »

Collingwood amongst other clubs have enquired about James Peatling from GWS (From Gettable)
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by Pies2016 »

One player who hadn’t been mentioned much in this thread, is Tim Membrey.
He’s now an unrestricted free agent and would play next year as 30 year old. There is no trade involved, the only cost is his contract.
Most of us would be aware he battled some serious demons late last year, so that’s the obvious concern. He’s a very talented, smart player and had a big finish to his 2024 season that coincided with the Saints run of good form. Plays tall for his height and usually very reliable in front of goal.
I’m open minded but if the decision has been made to have one last tilt at a flag in 2025, I would have thought this guy enters into the conversation. Ultimately, he’s the sort of acquisition where you’re bound by your diligence. If the evidence was there that he is winning ( or won ) his battle, then surely you’d at least enquire.
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
Pies2016

Post by Pies2016 »

Presti35 wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2024 10:42 am Collingwood amongst other clubs have enquired about James Peatling from GWS (From Gettable)
God, I hope this guy is on top of our midfield wish list. There’s so much to like about the way he goes about it. Hard at it, works both ways and has the skills to go with it. Saw him snag a BOG against the Dees in round 20, so the ceiling is high. Best of all, he’s out of contract and shouldn’t be more than a decent second rounder in return.
Hopefully he feels he mightnt be able to hold his spot in the Giants midfield. Would be a serious coup if we could get it done.
WhyPhilWhy?
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 24 times

Post by WhyPhilWhy? »

Stevo has been given the bum's rush at the Kangas.

It will probably be a sad end to a promising career. Certainly given the bridges burned, even though that wasn't under Fly, I can't see him returning here (though the Hawks seem to have a much higher dickhead tolerance).
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 113 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

Presti35 wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2024 10:42 am Collingwood amongst other clubs have enquired about James Peatling from GWS (From Gettable)
Noble —> Pick 20 —> Peatling. Get it done. We can get Keane other ways
Big T
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 58 times

Post by Big T »

Surely if we get pick 20 we wouldn’t waste it on Keane.

Looking at each clubs draft hand and targets, it’s increasingly obvious that the four northern clubs will dominate the 8 for the foreseeable future. Brisbane have not only the good Ashcroft coming through but another gun academy as well. GC have Lombard this year and then Uwlands brother zeke next year who is said to be, like Levi, a potential number 1. Who knows what shinannigans the swans are up to with their dark arts and academy.

With tassie also coming in, we just have to nail the next three drafts.
Buon Giorno
piffdog
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 36 times

Post by piffdog »

I'm sorry, but I would rather win the next couple of flags! I dont understand why, given the position we are in, we all want to focus so much on 18 year old players who will help us be successful in 2028 or 2032. There arent many like Nick who can come in and dominate from day one. Most young draft guns take 3-4 years before they are reliable, first-picked starting players.

In my opinion we have flags to win now, so we should be trading to maximise that opportunity. I get that we dont want to spend 5 years at the bottom of the ladder when this generation all retire, but lets not give up on what we already have until its obvious we can't content. I know we have missed finals this year - but I am not prepared to accept (at least not yet) that our window is closed.
It's never as good/nor bad as it seems...
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 113 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

@piffdog

What the club is thinking I reckon. We were unlucky to miss the finals this year, and the consensus is injuries and the 0-3 start because of short preseason killed us. Even media like Luke Hodge reckon we would have been a strong chance for back to back this year but injuries killed us.

Whatever we did fitness wise 2022-23 we didn’t this year, and I’m hoping we do a review. The round zero bullshit didn’t help and i hope Jeff getting stuck into the afl about it gets us a better draw next year.

We’re really not that far off having another crack. Just need 2 players of a certain type, better injury luck and we’re contending
lazzadesilva
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 51 times

Re: Thinking ahead to 2024 draft...(and beyond)

Post by lazzadesilva »

Western Bulldogs pair Bailey Smith and Rory Lobb have also been tied to Collingwood according to the papers today. Thoughts?
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
RudeBoy
Been liked: 73 times

Post by RudeBoy »

Bailey-Smith seems destined to the Cats Lazza. I hope we don't go for Lobb.
RudeBoy
Been liked: 73 times

Post by RudeBoy »

+1
Pies2016

Post by Pies2016 »

Gold Coast Suns player, Alex Davies now being linked to the Pies. Big bodied inside mid ( 191cm ) who hasn’t had the opportunities he probably deserves coming in behind Rowell, Anderson, Miller and Flanders. From memory, he was a promising junior basketballer.
I think we can safely say, when you add the clubs interest in Peatling also, finding a young, ready to go inside midfielder is right at the pointy end of our wish list.
Presti35

Post by Presti35 »

Sorry is its been mentioned, but we've been linked to Alex Davies (Suns) and Adam Tomlinson (Dees) according to the AFL website.

With Joe and Noble as possible outs, it could be a big trade week for us afterall.
Presti35

Post by Presti35 »

Jackson Hately has just won the Essendon VFL best and fairest. Not saying he should be a target, just wondering if anyone has some insight.
23 years old, first round pick from 2018, been to GWS and crows. I recall talking about him a few years back on here. Has he matured? Were there off field issues? I can't remember?
Big T
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 58 times

Post by Big T »

:evil: @Pies2016
Like both!!!! That should be our total focus.
Buon Giorno