#43 Charlie Dean

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Culprit
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 30 times

Post by Culprit »

Here's his Grand Father Kevin. His Uncle is good friends with Alan Richardson.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jezza
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 191 times

Post by Jezza »

Good performance yesterday. Slowly working his way into the team and understanding his role.

Looked out of his depth at the start of the season, but he's looked good the last couple of weeks. Has good composure and decision making skills.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
3rd degree

Post by 3rd degree »

Wrapped to see Charlie get a win under his belt . Showed some smarts and composure and gives us flexibility.
" Ohhh Banksy and out comes the Note Book".

www.facebook/the hybernators
LaurieHolden
Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 134 times

Re: #43 Charlie Dean

Post by LaurieHolden »

Worth noting Chas Dean hauled in 40 marks in 8 games. I'd dearly like to hear his exit interview and what the Club are steering him towards come 2025+.
As a non-free agent, I hope they give him a 2-year contract and in turn the confidence to hit the pre-season with gusto.
I'd dearly like to see Maxwell or Murphy back at the Club as a defensive / development coach alongside Roughead given Andy Otten is taking the reins of the VFL side. + if anyone knows how to forge a career from his bootlaces up, it's Maxy.

There's been plenty written regarding Darcy Moore's form without Murphy. I sort of see it the other way, while Murphy was important, Darcy Moore playing well made Murphy a better player.
If Moore gets back to his AA form, then what does that do for our other key backs in order to play their role? Many have been calling for Howe's retirement, but unless we find a viable replacement through the trade period, he's not going anywhere. Moore plays better with Howe in the side.

If Dean is indeed coachable, then his role as the third tall becomes a key cog in our backline for 2025+.
At 23 and with 8 games, he won't and shouldn't be expected to take on the competitions best, simply play his role while he develops.
Adjusting to senior football is a mile away from VFL. I've seen enough of him to suggest the former Fothergill–Round–Mitchell Medalist who's recent pedigrees are as sound as a 1st round draft pick https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fothergil ... hell_Medal)
trajectory isn't dissimilar to Murphy's.
He's not afraid to run off an opponent and has a lateral step. I want to see him given the licence to use this more frequently.

Chas Dean Height:195 cm Born:19-Jun-2001 (Debut:22y 264d Last:23y 65d) 93kg - listed but without updates? I'd suggest he's 95+.

Nathan Murphy Height:190 cm Born:15-Dec-1999 (Debut:18y 246d Last:23y 289d) 90kg - listed although I recall he bulked out to 97kg.
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
piffdog
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by piffdog »

Gotta be re-signed IMO. Only way he shouldnt be on our list next year is if he's used as some kind of draft/trade collateral. These bigger guys take time and I've seen enough to suggest he could be at least as good as Tom Langdon.
It's never as good/nor bad as it seems...
BazBoy
Been liked: 26 times

Post by BazBoy »

Fly was touting a tall forward. Well yep be good but McStay and Cameron when off the ruck and I’d hope a better year from Shultz
Add Bobby & Beau plus Elliott.
I’d bolster up the defence which leaked at times
I'm not arguing--just explaining why i am right
RudeBoy
Been liked: 70 times

Post by RudeBoy »

My only concern with Dean is that he seems a tad slow to my eye. He's a good mark and a good size, so there's certainly upside with him, but increasing speed is always very difficult.
Big T
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 57 times

Post by Big T »

Great post Laurie, spot on. I love watching this kid play and I think he is the type that after 30 games or so it will click and he will be a top line defender.
Buon Giorno
Presti35
Has liked: 152 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by Presti35 »

I have word that he is worried about being delisted. Hopefully not the case and the Pies get him signed up soon.
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
RudeBoy
Been liked: 70 times

Post by RudeBoy »

He could become a good AFL defender for us, or else remain a great VFL player. He strikes me as not being quite big enough to play on the monster forwards, nor quite quick enough to play on a 2nd or 3rd marking forward.
LaurieHolden

Post by LaurieHolden »

^at 195cm / 6"5 he's marginally taller than 6"3 Steven May and the same height as Weitering.
At this stage of his career, that's where the comparison ends. Need to get to work on those quads in the off-season.
In any event, outside of Harris Andrews there aren't many key backs taller in the competition that are dominating, so I'd prefer a better footballer over height.
2023 AFL Premiers
LaurieHolden

Post by LaurieHolden »

He was judged the best young player in the VFL in 2021, but the following two years were filled with injury and doubt. @chazdeano reflects on the year where it all clicked.

Sauce:
2023 AFL Premiers