The List (2024 player movements / list updates / contract discussions)

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

WhyPhilWhy?
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 23 times

Re: The List (2024 player movements / list updates / contract discussions)

Post by WhyPhilWhy? »

I find it interesting that Begg was the only player let go immediately.
LaurieHolden
Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 134 times

Post by LaurieHolden »

^and given that all of the exit interviews reportedly take place in the first week. Surely by now we might have heard of others that have been told their list spot is not guaranteed.
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
The Black and White Lion
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 65 times

Post by The Black and White Lion »

^
Well with a minimum number of draft picks and a smorgasboard of players linked you could only think we're in for a massive overhaul of fringe and valuable players or that list will get whittled down and uncontracted players will be re-signed or delisted.

the Smorgasboard of players linked (smorgasboard based on media links, not Nick's threads)
Keane, Hobbs, Lukosius, Davies, Peatling, Petracca, Tomlinson, Houston, Lynch, Lobb, Smith

To take in that board we'd need to trade a lot out. We have Noble, Richards, Macrae, McInnes, Krueger and Johnson mentioned in various media as being on the table.

Lynch and Tomlinson would be the cheapest KP trades IMO but likely still cost a bit the way the Pies trade. Trac and Smith probably both out of reach. I have no interest in Hobbs or Lobb. Houston reportedly said no trade. Would Adelaide trade a player for Keane? We'd have to pay overs for Peatling given the interest otherwise Davies seems the cheapest trade if he prefers birds over felines.
Ed Allen kicked our last goal of the year at the 58minute mark
BazBoy
Been liked: 26 times

Post by BazBoy »

Is that true.
That our recent resigning of the veterans has them accepting reduced $$$
And prepared to spend VFL time to fast track the youth

If so I applaud them as true club men
I'm not arguing--just explaining why i am right
Jen2310
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 54 times

Post by Jen2310 »

@LaurieHolden
This was from the age last year:
Every club except for North Melbourne and Gold Coast can sign a maximum of 44 footballers for next season, comprising between 36 and 38 on the primary list, four to six category A rookies – depending on the size of their primary list – and up to two category B rookies.
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/wha ... 5eh2a.html
Jen2310

Post by Jen2310 »

While not confirmed, but going by Bytel's change of instagram profile pic, his recent post, all the players that have commented; It felt very much a delistment post tbf, that was my initial thought.

https://www.instagram.com/p/C_z7p-8Pp-l/?img_index=1
5:11pm
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 4 times

Post by 5:11pm »

Yep, delisted
SLORT
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 60 times

Post by SLORT »

Jen2310 wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2024 11:29 pm While not confirmed, but going by Bytel's change of instagram profile pic, his recent post, all the players that have commented; It felt very much a delistment post tbf, that was my initial thought.

That'd be pretty rough considering the club had him sit for this video ~

https://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/video/ ... 5837288001

The fact that he spoke about doing another pre-season "hopefully not as a SSP" may indicate that it was on the cards.
Jen2310

Post by Jen2310 »

^
Reckon these videos were recorded before the season finished. All of them were pretty optimistic. It's just the vibe I got from the post, and then you look at the players that commented too.
I could be wrong though.. We'll see.
The Black and White Lion
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 65 times

Post by The Black and White Lion »

Bytel could get a lot of the ball in the VFL2024 but his disposal was poor. Often looked to be a combination of skill errors, pressure or decision making. Even at VFL level he could butcher the ball with VFL level pressure. What I'm not clear at VFL level was whether he had a genuine target or if the receiver could always do their part. I wish Jack the best because he's had a go. I wouldn't be surprised if he was retained as a rookie or squeezed out if there weren't enough spots left.

In the 2024 preseason I thought he looked good in training as a lead up forward. I don't think I ever saw him in that role at AFL level and maybe only once or twice at VFL level in the first half of the season. If Jack is retained, I wouldn't be afraid to try him as lead up / defensive forward. We've seen he can apply pressure and win the ball in the middle at VFL level. He's done ok in contests at AFL level with limited opportunities on the wing. I'd be throwing him forward and using those attributes rather than plonking him in the middle.
Ed Allen kicked our last goal of the year at the 58minute mark
Presti35
Has liked: 152 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by Presti35 »

I remember his first game for us. Going along ok and then subbed out with concussion after a hit from Jack Darling.

These are the types of guys you have a shot on with an SSP position. Has he actually been delisted tho?
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
stui magpie
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by stui magpie »

Jen2310 wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2024 11:29 pm While not confirmed, but going by Bytel's change of instagram profile pic, his recent post, all the players that have commented; It felt very much a delistment post tbf, that was my initial thought.

I had a look at your link, I'm not seeing what you're seeing. he may have been told his position is shakey, depending on what happens at draft and trade time but I reckon there's no signs there that he's gone.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Jen2310

Post by Jen2310 »

stui magpie wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2024 6:30 pm I reckon there's no signs there that he's gone.
Maybe it was just my vibe, But the caption. All the players commenting. Maybe its just my sense, but its just the first thought I came to.
Also changed his profile pic back that was initially him in a pies jumper, to a neutral one.

Of course I could be looking into something thats not there, but just the vibe I got.