Graham Wright - ex-General Manager of Football

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

The Black and White Lion
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 65 times

Re: Graham Wright - ex-General Manager of Football

Post by The Black and White Lion »

The only other thing we shouldn’t forget before we make Wrighty up into a legend too much is that he no doubt would have been involved in the Schultz and Ginnivan trades.
Ed Allen kicked our last goal of the year at the 58minute mark
qldmagpie67
Been liked: 74 times

Post by qldmagpie67 »

That’s a fair point but look at them independently.
Firstly Schulz was a player who we believed filled a need. Now while he hasn’t been sensational this season he showed signs he a serious player and will get better.

The Ginnivan trade was forced. Make no mistake this wasn’t the way Ginnivan portrayed it in the media.
He was challenged at his exit meeting about his professionalism and commitment to the team way. The going to the races the night before the GF wasn’t his first indiscretion in the clubs eyes.
He was a serial offender off the field. He was dropped for not meeting team standards during the season.
This was a statement to all young players either commit to the team ethos or go play elsewhere.

People look at the hawks and say oh he’s doing so well. He’s doing well because the pieces around him and a change in positional play allows it
Personally I’m not a fan of his antics at all
There’s a old saying confidence is great being a show pony is poor form.
The Black and White Lion

Qldmagpie67 yes agree with most of that. I should have elaborated.
My point re Wrights role in the trades is that we’ve lost out in the draft on two counts. Both trades were a calculated gamble that Wright was no doubt involved in.
Unexpectedly 12 months on we’ve lost out on the sum of both trades. You’re not always going to these calls correct but I’m wishing that we’d decided to trade Ginnivan out earlier in the period when the Hawks had more trade currency.
lazzadesilva
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 51 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

I think the fact that Ginnivan left of his own accord is the key here. If Collingwood had traded him out a la Treloar, Phillips etc., the club would have been flamed. Ginny acted first, then we reacted to his action.
I believe that Shultz will is a replacement after he has a proper pre season and learns the ropes. Bring it on!
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
The Black and White Lion

Yeah ok but I don’t quite recall it like that. The Hawks were into Schultz big time also. They were held up by GC Richmond, Essendon and Port on deals including Koschitzke out, Chol in, D’ambrosio in and Soldo from Tigers to Port. The whole way through trade week Wright and Fly were pestered with questions about Ginnivan and batted back he was a required player every time, that is until the day after Schultz had been traded in.
As soon as the Schultz trade went down Ginnivan became surplus and we accepted the Hawks deal.

The Hawks would have been trading a future first for Schultz given they were into Watson also. We were forced to use our second round and future first picks to outbid the Hawks. Then the Hawks were able to nab Ginnivan cheaply. Too cheaply for mine because we just wanted him gone.

My point in all this is we could have traded him out rather than wait for the Schultz deal to go down. Particularly with Double H and Richards coming through.

Anyway never mind, can’t worry about the spilt milk, can’t control the past and can’t control this narrative. A the moment Wright is gone, we finished 9th, have an old team, no first round draft pick and our second is tied to to team in the semi’s who’s flying on a wave of belief and youthful exuberance whilst our inexperienced list manager Leppitsch and experienced recruiter Hine have a huge job ahead of them to arrest the slide and reclaim an finals spot in the 2025 ladder.

Can we do a 2024 Cats without injecting youth?
Last edited by The Black and White Lion on Sun Sep 08, 2024 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RudeBoy
Been liked: 70 times

Post by RudeBoy »

No we can't.

However, I'm confident we'll see 2-3 of our youngsters - from Allan, DeMattia, Steene, Smit and TJ - step up next year.
The Black and White Lion

Ride it I hope you’re right and these young guys get picked when there’s a 50-50 chance. Evidence this year was that unless there’s an injury Fly seldom picked the young guy. That needs to change
Culprit
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 30 times

Post by Culprit »

Pebbles Rocks wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2024 7:16 pm
lazzadesilva wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2024 6:26 pm I would even believe that the earth is flat before I believe one syllable from this mad human 🙄
Same. I cannot recall one positive thing she has said in 10 years. Her sole intention is to be divisive at any cost.
It's her quest to attack the Collingwood Football Club.
Culprit
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 30 times

Post by Culprit »

Brodies Dad wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2024 6:18 pm
Culprit wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2024 3:21 pm
Brodies Dad wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2024 3:08 pm Speaking to someone involved with another club this week, and they told me it is well known around footy circles that Wright wanted to stay but that he was forced out by Craig Kelly.

That would make sense. Wright wouldn't leave of his own account having just been there 3 years.

If that is in fact the case, it will be interesting to see what happens to Kelly in the next 6-12 months with his other issues.
Brodies Dad

Yeah OK :D :D
Read the Caroline Wilson article today.

Kelly is going to ruin our club.
Brodies Dad is Caro. :shock: :D
The Black and White Lion

haha

Caro seems to be the only journalist with CFC intel though. I may have missed it but haven't seen it elsewhere. Who is Caro's insider at the pies spilling this stuff? I hope this isn't a case of Eddie Everywhere stirring from the side
RudeBoy
Been liked: 70 times

Post by RudeBoy »

IF it's true that Wright was effectively pushed out by Kelly, then we are indeed in deep shit. I loved Kelly as a player, but he's never impressed me much off the field. Wright's appointment to our club was the catalyst for us winning the flag, and it is bizarre that HE has decided to quit after such a short time in the job.
Brodies Dad
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 3 times

Post by Brodies Dad »

RudeBoy wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2024 1:09 pm IF it's true that Wright was effectively pushed out by Kelly, then we are indeed in deep shit. I loved Kelly as a player, but he's never impressed me much off the field. Wright's appointment to our club was the catalyst for us winning the flag, and it is bizarre that HE has decided to quit after such a short time in the job.
It is 100% true.
roar
Been liked: 3 times

Post by roar »

Is it too late to swap Kelly for Wright?
kill for collingwood!