Trade Targets ~ Free Agency & MSD player movements

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Dave The Man
Been liked: 5 times

Re: Trade Targets ~ Free Agency & MSD player movements

Post by Dave The Man »

Looking like Hobbs might be our only Chance of Brining someone in thru Trade/FA Period

Davis staying a Sun and Peatling staying at GWS or go to Eagles
I am Da Man
The Black and White Lion
Has liked: 180 times
Been liked: 65 times

Post by The Black and White Lion »

No thanks for Hobbs. Shame about Davies but I didn’t see him as our midfield fix. Prefer we go out and find our own Jai Newcombe from country Victorian stocks.
Ed Allen kicked our last goal of the year at the 58minute mark
Haff
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 39 times

Post by Haff »

Take_a_Screamer wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2024 5:11 pm This is HOW Collingwood Trade for Bailey Smith...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGtG9-pF4PM
  • 1.jpg
Cant see it. Basically a first and third for smith? No way the dogs are taking that.

Package up McRae but they don’t really want for any line. Almost rather target Lobb as a CHB…
The match day thread is for unfiltered BS knee jerk reactions. The time for level headed comment comes after.
Newelly
Has liked: 42 times
Been liked: 7 times

Post by Newelly »

Mr Miyagi wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2024 7:03 pm
Seven news said Smith has “multiple business interests on the surf coast” down Geelong way.

That’s how Geelong rorts the salary cap
Yes.....Jeremy Cameron has dairy farm interests in the Geelong region as well. Their magic beans for the salary (cap) stalk
Chuffed to have seen 3 flag wins in my lifetime but still greedy for more.
Presti35
Has liked: 163 times
Been liked: 59 times

Post by Presti35 »

Ok, so Davies has said no. Keane has stayed with the Crows. And Peatling is in high demand. The 'Trac saga seems to have blown over. Smith is almost assured of requesting Geelong. But what is the trade going to look like?

We really need to get involved here. Nobel is going to the Suns (No Davies in return), Joe is off to Port (unlikely to get Houston). Ash, Reef, Fin, etc may or may not bring in mid-tier picks?

We'll all start feeling better if we were able to obtain a new player. Someone that can have an impact and reinvigorate the list a bit. We can win it in 2025, but also feel like we need to get this trade/draft period right.
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
Presti35

Post by Presti35 »

SEN saying that Fin Macrae has spoken to Essendon.
SLORT
Has liked: 134 times
Been liked: 62 times

Post by SLORT »

Presti35 wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2024 11:14 am SEN saying that Fin Macrae has spoken to Essendon.
Feel like we're being strung along by a two meter stringer...could be a ringer-ding-dinger...
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 113 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

Keane just signed three years with Adelaide.

And I’d only get Peter Wright if Cox retired. He’s not the player we need — midfield and key position defender .
piffdog
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 35 times

Post by piffdog »

Hobbs for MacRae? Do we know if Hobbs even wants to leave or has been asked to explore his options? Noting he was a prior pick #13 who now has 3 years in the system and almost 50 games. Thats probably what we would expect out of an "average" top 20 pick who is still only 21.

Feels like the "targets" we have (maybe not all of them were ever real) are thinning out.
It's never as good/nor bad as it seems...
Jen2310
Has liked: 7 times

Post by Jen2310 »

piffdog wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2024 12:34 pm Hobbs for MacRae? Do we know if Hobbs even wants to leave or has been asked to explore his options? Noting he was a prior pick #13 who now has 3 years in the system and almost 50 games.
Would be strange, given they have Hobbs who cant get a game and they are very similar players
Essendon have no picks either, just their 1st and round pick, and they need picks to match Kako so not sure they should be chasing anyone, unless they trade out players for picks.
Player for player trades dont tend to happen these days.
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by Pies2016 »

Presti35 wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2024 11:07 am Ok, so Davies has said no. Keane has stayed with the Crows. And Peatling is in high demand. The 'Trac saga seems to have blown over. Smith is almost assured of requesting Geelong. But what is the trade going to look like?

We really need to get involved here. Nobel is going to the Suns (No Davies in return), Joe is off to Port (unlikely to get Houston). Ash, Reef, Fin, etc may or may not bring in mid-tier picks?

We'll all start feeling better if we were able to obtain a new player. Someone that can have an impact and reinvigorate the list a bit. We can win it in 2025, but also feel like we need to get this trade/draft period right.
I’m actually starting to warm to the trading out of the above mentioned depth players and then bundling ALL our picks up and getting really busy in this draft.
If we don’t trade much back in and only rely on a free agent or two, our draft hand should at least really hold us in good stead come draft night ( especially if we did move on our F1 )
This is such a strong draft, particularly for midfielders and it wouldn’t take much for an 18 year old first round midfielder to contribute as much as what Fin and others delivered in 2024.
While I’m not against loading up for a flag one more time in 2025, I feel like the chances of pulling that off are slim.
Maybe it’s smarter to just play the long game and bring in some quality youth while it’s staring us in the face. The best way to build optimism for the future is to see a couple ( early ) picks from this draft show plenty in their first season at AFL level. Add the possibility of Allan, Dimattia and maybe Long stepping up and all of a sudden, things have the potential to look so much better quickly.
We tend to undersell the draft because it lacks that instant gratification of a trade but it costs a lot less to bring an A grader into your club as an 18 year old than it does at 24. I’m happy to trust the club to make the right list management calls but I can certainly the benefit that comes with choosing to attack this draft with a strong hand.
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
Presti35

Post by Presti35 »

@Jen2310 I also feel like Hobbs and Macrae are similar players. Hobbs is a couple years younger and has played 20+ more games. It's a tough one and I'm not sure what the right move is?
SLORT
Has liked: 134 times
Been liked: 62 times

Post by SLORT »

Just a bit of reference for those saying take it to the draft ~
2001 Superdraft ~ best draft class of all time. 17 players out of the top 30 went on to play 100+ games. So this would be the best case scenario.

# Player Club Games Played
1 Luke Hodge Hawthorn 346
2 Luke Ball St Kilda 223
3 Chris Judd West Coast Eagles 279
4 Graham Polak Fremantle 111
5 Xavier Clarke St Kilda 106
6 Ashley Sampi West Coast Eagles 78
7 David Hale Kangaroos 237
8 Jimmy Bartel Geelong 305
9 Luke Molan Melbourne 0
10 Sam Power Western Bulldogs 123
11 Richard Cole Collingwood 63
12 Brent Reilly Adelaide 203
13 Nick Dal Santo St Kilda 322
14 Ashley Watson Kangaroos 7
15 Barry Brooks Port Adelaide 10
16 Rick Ladson Hawthorn 125
17 James Kelly Geelong 313
18 Shane Harvey Essendon 14
19 Jason Gram Brisbane Lions 156
20 Daniel Elstone Hawthorn 0
21 Matt Maguire St Kilda 170
22 Mark Seaby West Coast 120
23 Charlie Gardiner Geelong 63
24 Steve Johnson Geelong 293
25 Steven Armstrong Melbourne 79
26 Aaron Rogers Melbourne 2
27 Tom Davidson Collingwood 1
28 Mark Powell Sydney 8
29 Lewis Roberts-Thomson Sydney 179
30 Rod Crowe Kangaroos 0
Presti35

Post by Presti35 »

Are we 100% out of getting Huston and/or Smith? We still have a Future 1st. We still have returns for Joe and Noble to think about.

Without Lukosious and now Davies coming to Pieland, what will the Suns hand over for Noble? And are we a realistic chance to get Peatling?

Really looking forward to see what happens, but trade week is still ages away!!
Presti35

Post by Presti35 »

SLORT wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2024 2:04 pm2001 Superdraft
I see what you're saying. Take out Judd, Hodge, Bartel... and to a lesser extent Luke Ball ans Stevie J... and it really isn't THAT great.