Trade Targets ~ Free Agency & MSD player movements

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

The Black and White Lion
Has liked: 180 times
Been liked: 65 times

Re: Trade Targets ~ Free Agency & MSD player movements

Post by The Black and White Lion »

^ well lets not use our drafting at the 2001 superdraft as a precedent, it was another draft bomb.

One boring fact is Luke Hodge is one of the very few No.1 Draft Picks to win a flag. Check the stats you'll be surprised and leads me to think that if we ever end up there again we're better off trading out of the No.1 draft slot for multiple picks and or players if we want to improve the chance of future premiership success.

Another boring fact is 9 of the top 30 players from the 2001 superdraft have won a flag. Luke Hodge - Hawks x 4, Luke Ball - Had to move for Pies x 1, Chris Judd - WC x 1, David Hale had to move for Hawks x 3, Jimmy Bartel - Cats x 3, Rick Ladson - Hawks x 1, James Kelly - Cats x 3, Mark Seaby - WC x 1, Steve Johnson - Cats x 3 and Lewis Roberts-Thomson - Swans x 2
Ed Allen kicked our last goal of the year at the 58minute mark
piffdog
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 37 times

Post by piffdog »

Jen2310 wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2024 12:52 pm
piffdog wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2024 12:34 pm Hobbs for MacRae? Do we know if Hobbs even wants to leave or has been asked to explore his options? Noting he was a prior pick #13 who now has 3 years in the system and almost 50 games.
Would be strange, given they have Hobbs who cant get a game and they are very similar players
Essendon have no picks either, just their 1st and round pick, and they need picks to match Kako so not sure they should be chasing anyone, unless they trade out players for picks.
Player for player trades dont tend to happen these days.
I tend to agree, but I am just going on the couple loose threads I read saying we were talking to Hobbs and that MacRae had spoken with Essendon. Probably both complete rumors... There might be a circumstance (admittedly rare) where players just want a fresh start?
It's never as good/nor bad as it seems...
neil
Been liked: 21 times

Post by neil »

Tomlinson 31 and has played 32 games in 4 years NO just No
We need youth the next few years are going to be sad as we replace 9 30 + players in a maybe 3 years
Carlscum 120 years being cheating scum
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 88 times

Post by Pies2016 »

Let’s all keep in mind, no matter what happens ladder position wise in 2025, at the end of that season we will be delisting 5 or 6 vets ( most of who are standards drivers and leaders )
At that point, we would have to invest heavily in the 2025 / 26 drafts anyway. The more we choose to invest in the 2024 draft, the more even the spread of incoming youth can be managed over the next couple drafts. So with that in mind, there’s also an advantage for those who were drafted in 2024 to have been exposed to that leadership and experience before it leaves the club.
There’s a bit of “ passing of the baton “ happening at our club and it’s as much about orchestrating the seamless transition of our future list profile, as it is continuing to remain competitive in the now.
Don’t be surprised if the next quality player who can make a difference to our club fortunes has already been earmarked to join us after the end of the 2025 season. Just saying
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
BazBoy
Been liked: 29 times

Post by BazBoy »

An hour ago three time All Australian Jack McCrae has told the Dogs he wants out
Born in 1994 Jack has not nominated a club
191 cm 90 kg mid
I'm not arguing--just explaining why i am right
Craigmac
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Craigmac »

Lot's of good arguments here for now and the future. I actually think we can do both if we are bold.
We now know that we will have a number of quality senior veterans going around again, including Pendles, Sidebottom, Howe. If any were to retire or leave we get nothing for them.
I think we should look at the next level older bracket to trade out while they have value to bring in some younger talent and reduce the exodus over the next few years.

I love Brody Mihocek but would he get us a good 2nd round pick to a side contending that needs a 2nd forward (maybe Melbourne). Would StKilda like him next to King? He is 31, spends a lot of time injured and big guys fade fast - trade him while he has value.

Jack Crisp is 30 and never misses a game. What would a side with a young list offer for a reliable player to help mentor its youth like North or the Gold Coast? Could we package Crisp and Noble and something else to Gold Coast for a 1st round pick. Do we package next years first and Crisp for a first rounder this year given McGuane comes next year.

Finally Will Hoskin-Elliott. Has been great for the club, Mr Fix It, would we get a high 20 pick for him to a side needing a reliable swingman.

With the picks these guys bring in, plus whatever we get for Noble and maybe Richards, will it allow us to get up the order to draft some tall talent and a midfielder? Add Peatling and we have had a good trade period.

Some great players for the club yes - all big parts of our premiership. But lets not do what West Coast did and hang on to them all and trade them while they have value.
BazBoy
Been liked: 29 times

Post by BazBoy »

Saw some where Leppitsch had asked Suns for pick 12 in exchange for John Noble

Is that correct & is there any movement??
I'm not arguing--just explaining why i am right
LaurieHolden
Has liked: 151 times
Been liked: 152 times

Post by LaurieHolden »

BazBoy wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2024 5:42 pm An hour ago three time All Australian Jack McCrae has told the Dogs he wants out
Born in 1994 Jack has not nominated a club 191 cm 90 kg mid
Maybe the pre-2020 version but he appears too one paced to me Baz. We need speed and unfortunately, he doesn't possess that attribute. The game has effectively gone past him.
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
Presti35
Has liked: 164 times
Been liked: 62 times

Post by Presti35 »

^ Jack Macrae is a no for me too. Some say he is a perfect fit for us. I just dont think we can bring him in. Are we trading his brother out? I believe Essendon may be interested in taking both.
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
The Black and White Lion
Has liked: 180 times
Been liked: 65 times

Post by The Black and White Lion »

^ Yep as LH says. I don't think you're bringing in one paced mids when we're stocked with Pendles, Sidey and Mitchell. He'd also be competing with little bro Fin if we don't find a suitor for him.
Ed Allen kicked our last goal of the year at the 58minute mark
derkd
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by derkd »

I am more of the opinion, we collect up the draft picks from the players that want out...and take them to the draft.

No over paying for older players like J.Mcrae or punting on a J.Stringer (unless you can get him dirt cheap).

This seems like a deep draft. We can start building for the future. Please take picks to the draft Collingwood. No more over spending on short term fixes.
"To know nothing of events before your birth, is to forever remain a child" - Cicero (Roman Lawyer/Senator) 46 BCE.
piffdog

Post by piffdog »

Cant believe the number of people pinning their ears back on the draft... Noboody we get in the draft is going to make a difference to the 2025 or 2026 campaigns (at a minimum) and probably even 27 or 28 as well. Also, if you believe the common wisdom on our ability to draft we are likely to pick duds anyway.

This may be a "deep draft" (another one of these aphorisms that if you say enough becomes a fact without any empirical evidence...) but the reality is its going to provide just a couple of players each year and none of them will win us a flag much less make a meaningful contribution for 4-5 years minimum.

Lets take the so called 2001 "superdraft" - widely acknowledged as the best ever (careful - could be another aphorism)... Whatever we do we wont be in the top 10, so lets start at #11 Richard Cole, #12 Brent Reilly, ##14 Ashley Watson, #15 Barry Brooks, #16 Rick Ladson... You get my point? The draft is still a crap-shoot where you roll the dice and then wait 5 years to see if you picked right.

If we look a little more recently, and we anticipate getting someone who can make a difference within the next three years:

2021 draft: #10: Neil Erasmus, Wanganeed Millera, Sinn, Hobbs, Chesser, Aleer, Wilmot, Brown, Sheldrick
2022 draft: #10, Phillipou, Hollands, Flecher, Busslinger, Hewett, Jefferson, Rowston (granted there are a few useful ones in here, but if we picked someone like that we would have to wait two years for them to have some impact)
2023 draft: #11: O'CSullivan, Gothard, Tholstrup, Rogers, Croft, Green, Leake

Keep in mind these are picks from the second half of the first round - the absolute most optimistic outcome for us this year with other horse trading. How excited would all of you be landing players of this calibre and what impact would they have on season 2025, 26, 27? Much beyond that and I dont really care... We're still gonna need Jordy and Nick and Q and McStay to take marks and kick goals in the meantime.
piffdog

Re: The Carringbush Rumour File (JUST the rumour pls)

Post by piffdog »

The Black and White Lion wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2024 1:46 pm
Trade for needs and Draft for development and evolution because our team is in the twilight! 31 year olds with histories are not a need or the answer.
When you say "histories" what are you referring to? Mitchell was an oldie when he arrived and perfectly met the "trade for needs" mandate. If you're referring to other kinds of "history" do you mean the Jordy kind? Or the Ginnivan (Lorne Hotel toilets..) kind? Or do you mean an old player with both kinds of histories combined? I actually think we have probably lived by the mandate you describe for the last couple seasons and if Stringer arrives I would assume there is an internal view he meets a gap we have (bursts in the midfield?)

I personally dont have a strong view one way or another - but I am prepared to accept there is potential there. Maybe Jordy and Stringer swapping forward/midfield would address a "need"?

Not sure I would like to see us give him $1m a season and cough up next year's first rounder for him - but pretty sure thats not what's gonna happen...
Brodies Dad
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 4 times

Post by Brodies Dad »

Krueger and Macrae appear to be up for trade. We are after apparently Jake Stringer, Ben Hobbs and Houston among others on our ever decreasing wish list.

I can see a swap of Kreuger and Stringer. Cant see us getting the other two with no draft capital.
Take_a_Screamer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 12 times

Post by Take_a_Screamer »

BazBoy wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2024 10:46 am Saw some where Leppitsch had asked Suns for pick 12 in exchange for John Noble

Is that correct & is there any movement??
Yes pick 12...
Magpies’ reported asking price for John Noble could unlock monster trade. "Port Adelaide star Dan Houston's desire to return to Victoria has been widely documented, with links to both St Kilda and Carlton... but could the Pies swoop in?"
https://www.zerohanger.com/magpies-aski ... de-154992/

Four Victorian clubs that have met with Houston amid wish to return home:-
  • Carlton, Collingwood, St Kilda and the Western Bulldogs
  • the quartet of clubs met with the two-time All-Australian on the same day in recent weeks
https://www.sen.com.au/news/2024/09/11/ ... turn-home/
Ash Johnson...you beauty
Johnson Screamer @ https://www.afl.com.au/video/931485/joh ... -epic-mark? ❤️️