Trade Winds: Jake 'the package' Stringer

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Do we want Jake Stringer on our list for the next 2 years?

Poll runs till Sat Oct 12, 2024 8:26 am

YES
49%
NO
51%

Total votes: 65

Croat Pie
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 3 times

Trade Winds: Jake 'the package' Stringer

Post by Croat Pie »

Jen2310 wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2024 11:41 am Apparantely Fly is keen on stringer..
Please God no!!!
The Black and White Lion
Has liked: 180 times
Been liked: 65 times

Trade Winds: Jake Stringer

Post by The Black and White Lion »

^
Cal Twomey has reported it today on the AFL site. For the record, I'm not keen on this either. He's youngish by our veteran standards. He's going to list clog any hope of a junior coming through. He's not a key position marking forward, a transition runner or a key defender.
I can only think Fly sees him as a cheaper version of Petracca with clearance and goal stats on his mind only. SEN reported last week that Fly had lunch with Jake and his manager.
If we are in for Stringer it would have to be as a last resort in a small trade pool, but I'm not giving up draft capital for him and he wouldn't be on my shopping list.
Pies recruitment team you're on notice!
Trade for needs and Draft for development and evolution because our team is in the twilight! 31 year olds with histories are not a need or the answer.
Ed Allen kicked our last goal of the year at the 58minute mark
The Black and White Lion
Has liked: 180 times
Been liked: 65 times

Post by The Black and White Lion »

^ yeah the off field history and the recent fitness history. His inability to win the big moments in games in the back half of the season dovetailed with his fitness issues. I agree if we're targeting him its for a gap Fly perceives. Agree we don't want to pay him $$, he's on $400K for 2025 already and we have little draft pick flexibility this year. The Dons are going to want something though as he's contracted. I don't want to be giving up a high pick next year either and any bonus we get for Noble and others should be used wisely given our veteran exodus coming. I can't get my head around Stringer being a wise trade.
Ed Allen kicked our last goal of the year at the 58minute mark
lazzadesilva
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 51 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

If Fly sees Stringer as being able to fill a gap that’s urgently required by Collingwood, then I fully support this move. I see that some Nicksters have gone cold on McRea for some weird reason but I really respect his views.
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 35 times

Post by David »

Hope this doesn't come to pass. Always disliked him immensely.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
Dark Beanie
Been liked: 17 times

Post by Dark Beanie »

Respect the coaches view but Stringer is a flog on and off the field.
If you are foolish enough to be contented, don't show it, but just grumble with the rest. - Jerome K Jerome
Gerry Cooper
Has liked: 117 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by Gerry Cooper »

Jen2310 wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2024 11:41 am Apparantely Fly is keen on stringer..
One born every minute.
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.�
piffdog
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 37 times

Post by piffdog »

Yeah don’t know if he’d be my best mate - but in fairness I don’t know him personally and we’re not trading friends are we? Main thing is would he pull in the same direction as the locker room.

Suspect we would have the upper hand in any negotiations. A second year at 400k would be better than what the dons will give him - I get the sense they’re not fussed either way so he’s probably a fourth rounder.
It's never as good/nor bad as it seems...
qldmagpie67
Been liked: 78 times

Post by qldmagpie67 »

I don’t see Stringer as being a useful full time forward. We have McStay Checkers Hill McCreery JDG Elliott likely to be the starting it forward 6
So is he going to be used as a battering ram in the midfield maybe interchanging with JDG ?
That’s the only way I see him fitting in
On his day (and he only has a couple a season really) he can be very damaging
Maybe we’re expecting to lose someone else in our forward rotation we are unaware of at the moment
Gerry Cooper
Has liked: 117 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by Gerry Cooper »

The Dogs considered Stringer a lazy player who rarely achieved full fitness. Both at the Dogs and Essendon he played entire games where he never gave as good as a yelp. If having Stringer is so worthwhile, why is Essendon happy to let him go? He might give you an explosive burst every four games or so but in the meantime he keeps someone more deserving out of the team.

Others preferred.
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.�
stui magpie
Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 74 times

Post by stui magpie »

Kicked 42 goals this year and had damaging midfield bursts. If the price isn't too high, I'd take him. 2 year contract on $600k with triggers spread over both for a 3rd, keep him motivated.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Cam
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by Cam »

People who kick 42 goals don't grow on trees.
A quick look at some people's averages around him, numbers don't lie. These are career statistics.
Luke Bruest HAW 1.83 goals / game
Charlie Cameron BL 1.77
Jake Stringer ESS 1.73
Brodie Mihocek COLL 1.69
Bailey Fritsch MEL 1.69
Tom Papley SYD 1.58
Toby Greene GWS 1.56

That's some pretty good company right there.
Get back on top.
Woods Of Ypres
Been liked: 4 times

Post by Woods Of Ypres »

if we get Stringer I will rescind my membership
Jen2310
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 60 times

Post by Jen2310 »

I'd really struggle to support him if he came to us.
I'd have to pretend he isn't there lol
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 88 times

Post by Pies2016 »

Put it this way, if I had a crystal ball that convinced me Stringer attacked his pre season like a true professional and committed footballer, then I would feel a lot better about him wearing black and white.
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “