Trade Winds: Jake 'the package' Stringer

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Do we want Jake Stringer on our list for the next 2 years?

Poll runs till Sat Oct 12, 2024 8:26 am

YES
49%
NO
51%

Total votes: 65

BEAMER09
Been liked: 8 times

Re: Trade Winds: Jake Stringer

Post by BEAMER09 »

stui magpie wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2024 5:05 pm Kicked 42 goals this year and had damaging midfield bursts. If the price isn't too high, I'd take him. 2 year contract on $600k with triggers spread over both for a 3rd, keep him motivated.
Sold, I'm in...
COLLINGW09D
Haff
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 39 times

Post by Haff »

Nothing to add to our list surely? Think Ginnivan, didn’t want to work in our system or the role he had, so he’s left.
Schultz has been stifled by our system (but I think will come good).
Stringer has never worked hard enough, been in a shocking system.
It just won’t work because he won’t do the work.
The match day thread is for unfiltered BS knee jerk reactions. The time for level headed comment comes after.
jatsad
Been liked: 14 times

Post by jatsad »

Brodies Dad wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2024 4:18 pm Krueger and Macrae appear to be up for trade. We are after apparently Jake Stringer, Ben Hobbs and Houston among others on our ever decreasing wish list.

I can see a swap of Kreuger and Stringer. Cant see us getting the other two with no draft capital.
What draft capital would we need for Stringer? Pick 48 or higher should do it, Essendrug don't want him.
Jatsad - That is all
Presti35
Has liked: 164 times
Been liked: 62 times

Post by Presti35 »

Just wait until he's in the jumper. Stringer and JDG will cause havoc out there for opposition teams.
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
LaurieHolden
Has liked: 151 times
Been liked: 152 times

Post by LaurieHolden »

"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
Presti35
Has liked: 164 times
Been liked: 62 times

Post by Presti35 »

Will slot straight into number 9, number 9, number 9, number 9, which is the number he wore at Bulldogs
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
LaurieHolden
Has liked: 151 times
Been liked: 152 times

Post by LaurieHolden »

I'd sign him just to get the reaction from the Bomber supporters on the day.
But back to reality -
My main question would be whether he's coachable in order to fit in with Flys style and our team dynamics?
Is he the best forward option we can obtain for the price?
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 37 times

Post by David »

Also do we really need another 30 year old on our list? It’s not like we have a shortage of them…
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
Culprit
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 31 times

Post by Culprit »

My reading is A club has to commit to him for 2 years with an option of a 3rd as that is what he wants at the Bombers.
Pro's - He will come Cheap. Can Play.
Con's - He's Old. Inconsistent.
If Fly and Co think he can bring something, I will run with them. Besides he will take the Pressure of Shultz as the most undermined player on our list.
lazzadesilva
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 51 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

David you are talking about just one bloody handy inclusion over 30. I would bet that all the others we get are in the age group that gets your approval
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 113 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

Jen2310 wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2024 8:43 pm I'd really struggle to support him if he came to us.
I'd have to pretend he isn't there lol
I’ll pretend it’s his brother Jack Stringer 😂

Players who kick 42 goals and bust packs don’t grow on trees. I’d like to think he’s grown up since the awful shit he did at the Bulldogs a decade ago. If he can pull his head in this preseason and get on the bus… we could do worse in the trade.
I’m thinking rotating JDG, Titch, Stringer through the midfield, busting packs and allowing Nick Daicos, Pendles to run loose…
RudeBoy
Been liked: 73 times

Re: Trade Winds: Jake 'the package' Stringer

Post by RudeBoy »

If he was even 28 yrs, I'd say yes, but at 30 and his history of never really getting fully fit, I say no.

Basically, he's too old to change his ways. It's a shame, as he is a prodigious talent, but I fear he would undermine the professional culture we are growing at Collingwood.
lazzadesilva

Post by lazzadesilva »

Woods Of Ypres wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2024 7:19 pm if we get Stringer I will rescind my membership
I have faith in McRae to get him fit, firing and remaining motivated. History shows that a change of environment does wonders for players. Just give him a fair go Nicksters.
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 37 times

Post by David »

lazzadesilva wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2024 9:58 am David you are talking about just one bloody handy inclusion over 30. I would bet that all the others we get are in the age group that gets your approval
I'm not ageist, lol, just pointing out that we have nine 30+ players on our list and that this affects both our long-term list planning and performance in the short-term if their on-field abilities decline, as well as opportunities for younger players. One more makes that ten (actually twelve by July next year). That's half a team.

If we're trading for a high-profile player this year, I think age absolutely should be a factor. Stringer in particular is not the kind of player one would expect to still be at his peak into his early to mid 30s. So even if we put other issues to one side (e.g. fitness, attitude, character) and only look at his positive qualities, there's still risk involved. It's a pass for me.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
lazzadesilva

Post by lazzadesilva »

RudeBoy wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2024 10:05 am If he was even 28 yrs, I'd say yes, but at 30 and his history of never really getting fully fit, I say no.

Basically, he's too old to change his ways. It's a shame, as he is a prodigious talent, but I fear he would undermine the professional culture we are growing at Collingwood.
Surprising coming from you RB 😳 I would have expected you to have far more faith in Fly. Just one recaltricent player in Ginnivan shouldn’t make you feel that way about other players. I support Fly in his decision on this.