Trade Winds: Jake 'the package' Stringer

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Do we want Jake Stringer on our list for the next 2 years?

Poll runs till Sat Oct 12, 2024 8:26 am

YES
49%
NO
51%

Total votes: 65

David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 37 times

Re: Trade Winds: Jake 'the package' Stringer

Post by David »

lazzadesilva wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2024 10:14 amSurprising coming from you RB 😳 I would have expected you to have far more faith in Fly. Just one recaltricent player in Ginnivan shouldn’t make you feel that way about other players. I support Fly in his decision on this.
The Ginnivan comparison particularly hurts because the Hawks are presumably going to get 10+ years of (at least) Stringer-level performance out of him. We traded him out and are now (apparently) considering a similar kind of player right at the other end of his career, without even a "club culture" benefit. It's pretty grim when you look at it that way.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
Skids
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 31 times

Post by Skids »

If we're looking at players over 30, there's a dozen running around in the WAFL that I'd take over Stringer.

Geelong pluck a kid out of the Swan Districts reserves side last year, who's absolutely carving it up.. and we're looking at a bloke who's best games are well and truly behind him?
Then we wonder "Why are geelong playing finals almost every year for the last 2 decades".

Mind boggling to even be considering this as an option IMO.
Don't count the days, make the days count.
WhyPhilWhy?
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 25 times

Post by WhyPhilWhy? »

Love to hate him like I loved to hate David Cloke till he came over to the light.

Stringer can play footy, and who knows how he might thrive in a truly professional, supportive environment that's a level above the Dogs and Dons?

I've come around. If he doesn't cost us much, I'm all for it. He can't be more disappointing than Ash Johnson...
SLORT
Has liked: 135 times
Been liked: 64 times

Post by SLORT »

In 2018 JDG kicked 48 goals. How about we leave him at full forward and rotate Stringer through the clearance midfield role as necessary? And perhaps put Mihocek in the backline?
RudeBoy
Been liked: 73 times

Post by RudeBoy »

I'm full of surprises @lazzadesilva old mate. :wink:
skaman
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 13 times

Post by skaman »

Stringer would release alot of pressure off many players. We've been screaming for a quality forward for years.
He's got up to 3 decent years in him.
Still kicking 40+ goals a year. More in a decent team. Swapping centre to forward with De Goey, I'm salivating.
Good forwards are rarer than rockin horse 💩.
Get it done Pies!
Enjoy yourself. Its later than you think!
skaman

Post by skaman »

Another bonus alone is Anzac Day ( his actual birthday), imagine him firing against his old team, worth that alone! In front of 100,000 at the G
SLORT
Has liked: 135 times
Been liked: 64 times

Post by SLORT »

For everyone boohooing the age of stringer, Ablett snr was 31 when he kicked his first ton (124), then 129, 122, and 69 in his last year. Not saying Stringer is God, but with Nick delivering the ball to him he may get close. Oh, and he's 6cm taller.
Charlie Oneeye
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Charlie Oneeye »

I am not in favour of Stringer, mainly because he is lazy at defending? and I don't watch enough of him to know the breakup of how he kicks his goals... how many are a result of his skill, and how many goals he kicks because he stays out of contests and receives gimme's.

Having said that, they are queries, not criticisms.

On the other hand, the scoreboard indicates he scores more than any other player on our list, if he is affordable, and if he contributes 'fairly'?, I relent and say he is worth having for 2 or 3 years.

Who else is affordable on the trade table worthy of pursuit... not much.
skaman

Post by skaman »

For those that have Stringer in the lazy category, those old enough to remember, we had a player called Rene Kink. A bull of a player, great to watch. Often chastised for being lazy. We idolized him (i did anyway).Stringer has kicked about a dozen more goals than our best tallyer this year, Bobby Hill I think with about 30. We dont have many beasts that our small forwards can pick off. Stringer hits packs hard and makes defenders think twice. Enter Hill, Schultz, Naicos, Elliot etc. everyone else will come to the party. I see a role for him. This is the best set up with the current cattle we have. Premiership window IS still open!
Fly will make it and him (Stringer) happen.
think positive
Has liked: 216 times
Been liked: 86 times

Post by think positive »

I dont care how old or anything else, he is the scum of the earth.
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
RudeBoy
Been liked: 73 times

Post by RudeBoy »

skaman wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2024 1:41 pm Stringer would release alot of pressure off many players. Weve been screaming for a quality forward for years. Hes got up to 3 decent years in him. Still kicking 40+ goals a year. More in a decent team. Swapping centre to forward with Degoey, im salivating. Good forwards are rarer than rockin horse 💩. Get it done Pies!
You've won me over Robbie. Bring it on. :D
Presti35
Has liked: 164 times
Been liked: 62 times

Post by Presti35 »

What we really need to do after getting Stringer, is bring back Ginni and get Toby Greene and Papley. They thought they hated us before...
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
BEAMER09
Been liked: 8 times

Post by BEAMER09 »

RudeBoy wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2024 4:17 pm
skaman wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2024 1:41 pm Stringer would release alot of pressure off many players. Weve been screaming for a quality forward for years. Hes got up to 3 decent years in him. Still kicking 40+ goals a year. More in a decent team. Swapping centre to forward with Degoey, im salivating. Good forwards are rarer than rockin horse 💩. Get it done Pies!
You've won me over Robbie. Bring it on. :D
Sold, I'm in (again)...
COLLINGW09D
BazBoy
Been liked: 29 times

Post by BazBoy »

Fact or Fugarzee 550k for two seasons
I'm not arguing--just explaining why i am right