Trade Targets ~ Free Agency & MSD player movements

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Jen2310
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 60 times

Re: Trade Targets ~ Free Agency & MSD player movements

Post by Jen2310 »

I believe Taberner's back is stuffed. Couldn't stay on the park. So probably no thanks.
5:11pm
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 4 times

Post by 5:11pm »

Let’s just land Weitering or Lobb then …

Dreaming.
Pies2016
Been liked: 88 times

Post by Pies2016 »

Take_a_Screamer wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2024 4:23 pm
BazBoy wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2024 10:46 am Saw some where Leppitsch had asked Suns for pick 12 in exchange for John Noble

Is that correct & is there any movement??
Yes pick 12...
Magpies’ reported asking price for John Noble could unlock monster trade.
I’d suggest pick 12 is a genuine possibility with the Suns, simply because we have something they want, Johnny Noble. We would need to give up more on top of Noble but we have plenty of options to satisfy the secondary part of that deal.
With the NGA bid for Lombard expected to come in the early teens, the Suns would be looking to trade out their pick 12 anyway. The Suns will also look to plan for the 2025 draft as part of this years strategy, so it might be our futures form part of any conversation that includes pick 12.
Ultimately, any Noble trade that includes their pick 12 is our best outcome, while any trade that would include their pick 20, draws closer to a “ straight swap “ outcome.
What we do with that pick is another conversation but the key is to get that deal done quickly, so we can then go forward during the trade period with a much improved draft hand.
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
lazzadesilva
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 51 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

Jen2310 wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2024 11:12 am I believe Taberner's back is stuffed. Couldn't stay on the park. So probably no thanks.
Seriously is there any player genuinely available who hasn’t got a medical, physical, mental or emotional injury/problem/issue? Seems that just about every player considered as gettable has at least one of the above mentioned concerns and makes the whole process almost meaningless 🥹
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
LaurieHolden
Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 152 times

Post by LaurieHolden »

@5:11pm Just a shocking run with injury which I'd suggest is where any discussion within the Club will end.
If the medicos where confident could get his carcass right, he'd present a dual option at either end. If he wants to return to Victoria and he'd take an offer of a rookie spot with triggers, then maybe.
https://www.statsinsider.com.au/sport-h ... 20Stringer
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
LaurieHolden
Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 152 times

Post by LaurieHolden »

North Melbourne has reportedly placed their first-round selection for the 2025 AFL Draft on the table in a bid to lure contracted Port Adelaide defender Dan Houston to Arden Street.

Sauce:
https://www.zerohanger.com/
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
5:11pm
Been liked: 4 times

Post by 5:11pm »

LaurieHolden wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2024 12:03 pm @5:11pm Just a shocking run with injury which I'd suggest that's where any discussion within the Club will end.
If the medicos where confident could get his carcass right, he'd present a dual option at either end. If he wants to return to Victoria and he'd take an offer of a rookie spot with triggers, then maybe.
https://www.statsinsider.com.au/sport-h ... 20Stringer
Judging our re-signings the club obviously thinks we have another shot with an aging list.

So If we’re not getting an older KB to plug a hole for a season or two, why not play Checkers back and Reef at FF for the first half of next season?
The Black and White Lion
Has liked: 180 times
Been liked: 65 times

Post by The Black and White Lion »

SLORT wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2024 10:14 am Just a look at some of the defender options ~
Name Height Age I.Mark Spoils
Laverde 1.93m, 27yo, 1.9int 3.6sp
I'd be happier with Laverde than Stringer. If we've fallen apart for one role down back and still largely have the same forward line then I would target Laverde over Stringer. Dons may want more for him at 27 but he's surplus to their needs so we're in play. If we can't use the Noble trade to eke out a Dan Houston trade I'd be happy to trade some Noble spoils for Laverde.

Boring Fact: Laverde was in the same draft as DeGoey and Moore and talked up as one of the players we could take if DeGoey wasn't available. Grateful that he was and 2023 was a premiership year.
Ed Allen kicked our last goal of the year at the 58minute mark
stui magpie
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by stui magpie »

If we're seriously looking at a tall marking forward with the short term in mind, Would Sam Day from the Suns or Matt Tabener from Freo be worth a look? Both have been delisted so could be picked up as a delisted free agent for nothing.

Both have been forced out by young KPP's, but we don't have any of those. An alternative if we don't get stringer, we could (and should) try to draft a young KPP or 2 but they take years to develop and our need is now.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
neil
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 21 times

Post by neil »

If we can get the Suns first pick I'd rather we took it to the draft and got an 18 yo KPF than Stringer or Laverde
There are a whole group of KPFs available yes they wont really help win the GF in 2024
Remember King at StKilda played a lot of senior football his first year
They will be a Key Forward for the next decade not for two or three years
Carlscum 120 years being cheating scum
BBHS
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by BBHS »

^
Isn't the worst idea considering the injury/age of our current KFs. Both these guys can't stay on the park though.
jatsad
Been liked: 14 times

Post by jatsad »

neil wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2024 3:51 pm If we can get the Suns first pick I'd rather we took it to the draft and got an 18 yo KPF than Stringer or Laverde
There are a whole group of KPFs available yes they wont really help win the GF in 2024
Remember King at StKilda played a lot of senior football his first year
They will be a Key Forward for the next decade not for two or three years
If we are lucky enough to get 12 or 20, we won't be wasting it on Stringer or Laverde. They'll go for mid 40's or above as they are not really wanted and clubs know that.

That pick either goes to the draft or somehow used in the Houston trade, hopefully.
Jatsad - That is all
Presti35
Has liked: 163 times

Post by Presti35 »

LaurieHolden wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2024 12:45 pm North Melbourne has reportedly placed their first-round selection for the 2025 AFL Draft on the table in a bid to lure contracted Port Adelaide defender Dan Houston to Arden Street.
That will end any chance of us getting him then. Unless he specifically says "Make me a Pie". Does Dan really want to go from Port to North?

All we can really do is offer Joe, next years first, and maybe next years 2nd too...? Other clubs simply have better draft hands. Unless we improve our draft hand after Noble trade, etc.
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
WhyPhilWhy?
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 24 times

Re: Thinking ahead to 2024 draft...(and beyond)

Post by WhyPhilWhy? »

I might take Tabener in the preseason SSP if he was available.
Presti35
Has liked: 163 times

Post by Presti35 »

Elliott Himmelberg was one I thought we could groom into replace Cox, but with Cox going around again and with Condon on the way over soon, I think this is one to now pass on. Yes he is in another teams best 22 and yes he is a tall forward, but I no longer think he is a fit in 2025. The Suns are currently looking at him with an offer of more game time.

Stringer, I reckon, is one the is going to happen. He's finished with Essendon. But the deal still needs to be right. And if it is, then it wont take long for us to get around him. The challenge for him will be staying fit and staying motivated. Then we ask ourselves about other Essendon players availability and if we want; Hobbs, Jones, Wright, Laverde, etc. Fin Macrae has been linked to Essendon (as has his older brother from the Dogs).

Perryman as a UFA is a no-brainer. Make the offer, see what happens. Getting players via free agency is always a win, without having to make a trade and losing picks. Peatling is a great trade target and hopefully one we can make without selling the farm.

The big one is gonna be Dan Houston. Are we really a chance here? They'll be no trade for 'Trac and Bailey Smith is sounding like no chance either, as much as I'm secretly wishing for it to happen. So is Houston a real possibility??

We know Joe and Noble are likely on the move and will both probably end up in picks coming our way. Ed and Beau are definite keepers for me after both were earlier talked about as trade possibilities. But who out there has interest in Kreuger, Ash and Reef? Are we eying off any Demons players, do any others want out? I'm not keen on Tomlinson. I know we're all really focused on replacing Murphy and also finding a key forward, I just dont know who can fill these roles.

Cox, Howe, Steele and Jamie are likely entering their final season, so we need to be mindful of that. Pendles too, but I believe he may go on if the games record is in reach. Tom Mitchell was earlier linked to North, but that talk has gone away. I wonder if we would still entertain that trade if it brought in a pick we could use elsewhere?

Sorry, gone on a classic P35 trade target rant here. I guess I'll finish off by saying that I just hope we can trade in players that will help us in 2025, whilst also holding on to a pick that can get us one or both Whitlock twins. Very wishful thinking.
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!