Trade Winds: Jake 'the package' Stringer

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Do we want Jake Stringer on our list for the next 2 years?

Poll runs till Sat Oct 12, 2024 8:26 am

YES
49%
NO
51%

Total votes: 65

Dave The Man
Been liked: 5 times

Re: Trade Winds: Jake 'the package' Stringer

Post by Dave The Man »

So gone from Coming Yesterday but now has a Big Maybe about it today
I am Da Man
Jen2310
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 60 times

Post by Jen2310 »

From HS today.

The interest at this stage from rivals is modest at best, and Stringer still remains much more likely to stay at Essendon in 2025 than leave the club, as things stand.

While former Magpies’ president Eddie McGuire linked Stringer to Collingwood, and it is hard not to think ahead to the possible Anzac Day storyline, the Magpies are a bit surprised by the reports.

They had a cold bucket of water ready to pour on the whole Stringer proposition.

And no other clubs have come forward for him, yet.
SLORT
Has liked: 135 times
Been liked: 64 times

Post by SLORT »

^ie Essendope wants overs.
LaurieHolden
Has liked: 151 times
Been liked: 152 times

fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me

Post by LaurieHolden »

Of all of the regressive decisions we could obtain from the Trade period, this would be right up there as one that will be looked back on with the same derision as Angry Anderson and the Bat Mobile in the 1991 GF. It's so bad its funny.

Just for a moment, let's deal with facts - he's kicked 40 goals twice in 8 years. This year he kicked a combined 9 against Richmond and WCE and 5 against Hawthorn that went on a 5-game opening season losing streak. 7 finals games in 3 seasons delivered an output of 7 goals! 5 of those was in the Bulldogs 2017 Premiership series. But he's going to be the factor to give us a tilt at #17? Cmon... :o
Over the past decade he's struggled to get his carcass right to play out a season, and wait for it, 2 of those since he left the Bulldogs required him to show the necessary conditioning to extend to a final's series.
2021 was perhaps his best year since crossing from the Dogs, and surprise, surprise, a contract year, which got him to where? Yes, for those playing at home 2025!!
Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me.

Throughout his career he has delivered below AFL standard defensive accountability, which naturally negates his offensive goal effectiveness. As a result, he is regularly exploited by his opponents as they run off him.
That's not Collingwood DNA / style of football. We're a pressure side that scores from turnover.
Mihocek, McCreery & Schultz have double the defensive tackling output. That's what makes these forwards better for the team, reflect on much rebound footy have they quashed.

We need to view forwards in a modern-day context. Stringer is an enigma. His training standards, lack of off-field leadership renders him akin to a 90's style on-field footballer in a competition that has gone past him.

@Big T suggested we'd do better to look at the other Jake - Riccardi, or Callum Brown from GWS. This is a better decision all round, for next year and our future list development.

Harrumph!
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
Piesnchess
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 72 times

Post by Piesnchess »

he has booted 42 goals this season, in a pretty average team , has some mongrel bout him, and is no older than most of the reclcyed players the Cats get, so I say, get him. Boost our forward line with a nasty prick, just what we need, IMHO.
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
think better
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 26 times

Post by think better »

If we got Stringer then Anzac Day would be doubly interesting - It's against his old side and its birthday
I think therefore I think - I think
jatsad
Been liked: 14 times

Post by jatsad »

Really don't give a crap if he is not 100% defensive, we have others for that.
He kicks us 40+ goals, I'll take it.
Jatsad - That is all
think positive
Has liked: 216 times
Been liked: 86 times

Post by think positive »

Piesnchess wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2024 1:08 pm he has booted 42 goals this season, in a pretty average team , has some mongrel bout him, and is no older than most of the reclcyed players the Cats get, so I say, get him. Boost our forward line with a nasty prick, just what we need, IMHO.
more than a little mongrel, ask his ex wife, or the school girl .... no no no
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
skaman
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 13 times

Post by skaman »

^Did his ex wife, school girl…. Ex childhood sweetheart, school teacher kick 42 goals this season in a mediocre team? Seriously.
We need a goalkicker! Screamed for it for decades! If he comes cheap and fits our needs i don't care what he does off field, and trust me we have had our fair share of “bad boys” probably worse credentials as Stringer to be honest.
Enjoy yourself. Its later than you think!
Benno
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Benno »

Might have kicked 40+ this year but is a liability defensively, when the expectation is that your forwards are applying pressure. Also zero discipline in his preparation for the season - always looks like he's overweight.
Big T
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 58 times

Post by Big T »

Mind boggles that people think he will all of a sudden get fit and fix his glaring deficiencies.
Buon Giorno
neil
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 21 times

Post by neil »

Not fit enough and never has been, multiple coaches have failed to get him fit why would he change?
Who does he replace in the forward line WHE?
Has no defensive side no coach has been able to make him

Use him as an enforcer to protect N Daicos? Unfortunately the AFL would go nuts, look at their hatred towards Maynard over Brayshaw. This time with rules to make it illegal
Carlscum 120 years being cheating scum
jatsad
Been liked: 14 times

Post by jatsad »

Benno wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2024 2:05 am Might have kicked 40+ this year but is a liability defensively, when the expectation is that your forwards are applying pressure. Also zero discipline in his preparation for the season - always looks like he's overweight.
I have full faith in Fly to get him right. And don't care if he has no defensive side. He kicks 40+, that will do. There are plenty others to provide defense.
Jatsad - That is all
think positive
Has liked: 216 times
Been liked: 86 times

Post by think positive »

skaman wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2024 11:27 pm ^Did his ex wife, school girl…. Ex childhood sweetheart, school teacher kick 42 goals this season in a mediocre team? Seriously. We need a goalkicker! Screamed for it for decades! If he comes cheap and fits our needs i dont care what he does off field, and trust me we have had our fair share of “bad boys” probably worse credentials as Stringer to be honest.
he goes way beyond bad boy.

yes I have been screaming it every year, but he's not it! not just because hes a creep, because i dont think hes that good. too old and too gutless
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
Presti35
Has liked: 164 times
Been liked: 62 times

Post by Presti35 »

There seems to be a lot of women who are against this accusation. The club needs address this before signing him.

Jake has not been arrested or charged, but some big allegations have been made against him by his former fiancee before his move to Essendon. There were also rumours at this time of her relationship with another teammate of Stringers, which is all hearsay. There's been no accusations of violence. But there have been accusations of adultery and gambling. I don't think its the fact that he has been accused of being unfaithful to the mother of his children that's bothering people. I think its because of who it was with that bothers people.
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!