Trade Winds: Jake 'the package' Stringer

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Do we want Jake Stringer on our list for the next 2 years?

Poll runs till Sat Oct 12, 2024 8:26 am

YES
49%
NO
51%

Total votes: 65

SLORT
Has liked: 135 times
Been liked: 64 times

Re: Trade Winds: Jake 'the package' Stringer

Post by SLORT »

^I thought he was a footballer, not a priest. People throwing judgements based on shit 10yrs old that happened in a persons private life...look in the mirror. "He who is without sin...". Imagine the reaction when Taryn Thomas joins the club in a year or two...
Presti35
Has liked: 164 times
Been liked: 62 times

Post by Presti35 »

Well Thomas is a different story as it involves violence and manipulation. And he HAS been charged by police.

But yeah. Getting back to the football side of it. His challenge would be to remain fit and to stay motivated. And I believe this is something that he would not have at Essendon. Frankly, we are a better run club with better people in key roles around the place.

He'd be given a contract that would have an expectation of what we want in return. I'm sure if any off field incidents happened or if he didnt do what it took to play at this level, then it would be curtains for him. I'd be disappointed if we didnt at least interview him and find out what he wants to do and let him know what we would expect.

So whats the issue at Essendon? He wants 2 years? He wants more money? What is it?
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
stui magpie
Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 74 times

Post by stui magpie »

Stringer is/was an up himself cockhead who behaved like an arsehat toward women, certainly when he was a lot younger, I can't speak about recently. he's also unfit and inconsistent.

Brian Lake was an up himself arsehat, unfit, inconsistent and seen to be too old and past it. He joined Hawthorn and won 3 flags in 3 years.

If Fly and the recruiters think someone could be a vital cog in winning a flag in 2025 and maybe beyond that, I don't care if he's Jeffrey Dahmer.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
jonmac1954
Been liked: 14 times

Post by jonmac1954 »

Lol settle down Stu@stui magpie i JD wouldn't make the cut.

Seriously though - I'm divided in my thoughts on Stringer, he's certainly an rsat and a sloth (with apologies to sloths everywhere) but if he can reproduce his output this year for the next few years we may be prepared to take him on - but it would certainly have to be on very specific terms written into his contract regarding off field behavior and training outcomes.

If he fails to live up to those contractual obligations show him the door for breach of contract.
Presti35

Post by Presti35 »

well....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jezza
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 191 times

Post by Jezza »

I'm keeping an open mind on us recruiting Stringer. If the club believes that we can still win a flag in this window, then a potential move for him would make some sense.

The biggest positive in favour of Stringer is he's a natural goalkicker. This year he kicked over 40 goals, so that would come in handy for us. Lining up alongside McStay, Mihocek, Elliott, Schultz and Hill is an exciting prospect on paper provided they all stay fit.

The biggest negative has always centered around his fitness and running capacity. Can he play the manic pressure game that our style requires?

Stringer's off-field behaviour has been well-publicised. I'd heard of issues with him dating back to his time at the Dogs, but maybe having a family and settling down and maturing has straightened him out. If Fly is onboard with this, then I think we as supporters should keep an open mind before writing him off.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
Magpie Russ
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 16 times

Post by Magpie Russ »

Fremantle have agreed to a trade with GWS that will see Jesse Hogan become a Giant in exchange for a third round pick.

Players with talent are worth a punt.
Charlie Oneeye
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Charlie Oneeye »

Stringer plays around 80% game time, and spends time going through the middle, we need help on there.

Also, last night the X factor Daniher, was the icing that got the Bears over the line. In a robotic arm wrestle, you need gamebreaker types, or you are just another team in the pack full of role players.

He is a short term proposition, and may end up a flop, on the other hand, he could be 1000% more effective than Macrae, Sullivan or Bytel.

We are about being a better side.
Take_a_Screamer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 12 times

Post by Take_a_Screamer »

Matthew Lloyd discusses the possibility of Jake Stringer departing Essendon

During the week, Jake Stringer has been rumoured to have told Essendon teammates that he has played his last game in the red and black. The forward has been linked to a move to arch-rivals Collingwood, but Matthew Lloyd believes that Essendon haven’t been contacted by any rival clubs. “At the moment it is all speculation,” Lloyd said on 3AW Football.

Podcast:
https://www.3aw.com.au/matthew-lloyd-di ... -essendon/
Ash Johnson...you beauty
Johnson Screamer @ https://www.afl.com.au/video/931485/joh ... -epic-mark? ❤️️
Simply_Brutal
Been liked: 8 times

Post by Simply_Brutal »

Saw Stringer at a restaurant during the year with his family and (presumably) his kids, as they were playing alongside ours.

My impression was of a nice guy going about his life, spending time with family. Any of the “off-field” chatter here seems to either be outdated, misplaced or make-believe.

We need footballers, but many in this forum seem to be fascinated with recruiting people with values they themselves can’t even adhere to. Bizarre.
think positive
Has liked: 216 times
Been liked: 86 times

Post by think positive »

Simply_Brutal wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2024 12:00 pm Saw Stringer at a restaurant during the year with his family and (presumably) his kids, as they were playing alongside ours.

My impression was of a nice guy going about his life, spending time with family. Any of the “off-field” chatter here seems to either be outdated, misplaced or make-believe.

We need footballers, but many in this forum seem to be fascinated with recruiting people with values they themselves can’t even adhere to. Bizarre.
yeah nah

https://www.mamamia.com.au/abby-gilmore ... -cheating/

my daughter played top grade netball against his ex. and there is far more.

the package is not necessarily about his footy prowess!
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
Presti35

Post by Presti35 »

What about what was speculated about his ex and JJ? Not saying Jake was a saint, but was his ex the perfect partner?
Simply_Brutal
Been liked: 8 times

Post by Simply_Brutal »

think positive wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2024 12:29 pm
Simply_Brutal wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2024 12:00 pm Saw Stringer at a restaurant during the year with his family and (presumably) his kids, as they were playing alongside ours.

yeah nah

https://www.mamamia.com.au/abby-gilmore ... -cheating/

my daughter played top grade netball against his ex. and there is far more.

the package is not necessarily about his footy prowess!
This is not the “gotcha!” moment you think it is. You’re just confirming my point.

Even if we take a Mamamia article entirely on face value, we’re talking about a man cheating on his partner 7 years ago. Why do we care?

We aren’t considering trading for him to be your son-in-law, so I fail to see the relevance.
MatthewBoydFanClub
Been liked: 1 time

Post by MatthewBoydFanClub »

We'd be crazy to get him. It's that simple. He's no Jordan De Goey or Dane Swan as far his private life goes (it's worse). He's no Jesse Hogan or Joe Daniher. He's the wrong side of thirty, when we've got so many over 30 players already. I thought we learned our lesson with Shultz. Apparently not. If people think he's that good why hasn't Essendon won a premiership with him? I'd make an exception for Tom Lynch as far as being over 30 is concerned. Tom has a good head on his shoulders and is exactly the sort of player we need in our forward line. Not Jake Stringer.
jonmac1954
Been liked: 14 times

Post by jonmac1954 »

MatthewBoydFanClub wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2024 5:12 pm We'd be crazy to get him. It's that simple. He's no Jordan De Goey or Dane Swan as far his private life goes (it's worse). He's no Jesse Hogan or Joe Daniher. He's the wrong side of thirty, when we've got so many over 30 players already. I thought we learned our lesson with Shultz. Apparently not. If people think he's that good why hasn't Essendon won a premiership with him? I'd make an exception for Tom Lynch as far as being over 30 is concerned. Tom has a good head on his shoulders and is exactly the sort of player we need in our forward line. Not Jake Stringer.
I'm on the fence with Jake myself but just think about this.

It's clear the club believe we have one last shot at a flag in '25 - if so we need to bolster our experienced best 25 or so. Moreso if we want a player in the forward line that can kick a nice pile of goals during the year.

40 goal forwards that can bull their way through center packs are rare as hens teeth.

Yes he has a trashy reputation both as a person and as clubman and that gets my back up.

But

He can be a very effective forward and he knows his time is running out for a premiership medallion.

This would be his last shot but by god the club had better tie him up with behavior and performance clauses in his contract if he signs.