Trade Winds: Jake 'the package' Stringer

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Do we want Jake Stringer on our list for the next 2 years?

Poll runs till Sat Oct 12, 2024 8:26 am

YES
49%
NO
51%

Total votes: 65

Presti35
Has liked: 164 times
Been liked: 62 times

Re: Trade Winds: Jake 'the package' Stringer

Post by Presti35 »

He hasnt won a flag at Essendon because Essendon are a very badly run club.
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
Presti35
Has liked: 164 times
Been liked: 62 times

Post by Presti35 »

Is he chasing a 2 or 3 year contract?
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
Newelly
Has liked: 42 times
Been liked: 7 times

Post by Newelly »

MatthewBoydFanClub wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2024 5:12 pm We'd be crazy to get him. It's that simple. He's no Jordan De Goey or Dane Swan as far his private life goes (it's worse). He's no Jesse Hogan or Joe Daniher. He's the wrong side of thirty, when we've got so many over 30 players already. I thought we learned our lesson with Shultz. Apparently not. If people think he's that good why hasn't Essendon won a premiership with him? I'd make an exception for Tom Lynch as far as being over 30 is concerned. Tom has a good head on his shoulders and is exactly the sort of player we need in our forward line. Not Jake Stringer.

Kicked 42 goals last year with the supply granted from the middling midfield of Essendon. That is more goals than any of our forwards managed. Mihocek could manage that but his injury problems are catching up with him plus Stringer had 2 talls competing with him for goals in Langford (43) and Wright (19). We would be flag material if McStay and Stringer combine for 80+ goals. Just a thought.

I like Mihozek but I think Stringers is ultimately a better forward. McStay has been injury prone in his first 2 years at the club which probably speaks to the movitation to recruit Stringer
Chuffed to have seen 3 flag wins in my lifetime but still greedy for more.
think positive
Has liked: 216 times
Been liked: 86 times

Post by think positive »

Stringer isa %$^%$. DV gambling, cheating, teenage girl friends while married. Might be the first time I boo one of our own. Take a good look at social media. This is a very bad move after all the work to improve culture.
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
Newelly
Has liked: 42 times
Been liked: 7 times

Post by Newelly »

^Professional sports teams worldwide would be gutted if they had to abide by this moral code in order to maintain employment. I agree he's no role model but some of our past and present stars have had their transgressions swept away by club and/or AFL administrators.
Chuffed to have seen 3 flag wins in my lifetime but still greedy for more.
Piesnchess
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 72 times

Post by Piesnchess »

think positive wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2024 9:42 pm Stringer isa %$^%$. DV gambling, cheating, teenage girl friends while married. Might be the first time I boo one of our own. Take a good look at social media. This is a very bad move after all the work to improve culture.

Aw come on now T P, if he boots 3 goals in a GF, and gets us a flag, we win by two goals, you will be all over him. Come on , fess up. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Piesnchess

Post by Piesnchess »

Anyway I mainly want him, aside from a big boost to our forward line, to see how the Essendopers handle him on Anzac day, now that would be worth the price of admission, alone. !
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Pies4shaw
Has liked: 55 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

Newelly wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2024 9:30 pm Kicked 42 goals last year with the supply granted from the middling midfield of Essendon. That is more goals than any of our forwards managed. Mihocek could manage that but his injury problems are catching up with him plus Stringer had 2 talls competing with him for goals in Langford (43) and Wright (19). We would be flag material if McStay and Stringer combine for 80+ goals. Just a thought.

I like Mihozek but I think Stringers is ultimately a better forward. McStay has been injury prone in his first 2 years at the club which probably speaks to the movitation to recruit Stringer
All but 19 of those goals came in 6 games. 5 against West Coast, 4 against Richmond, 10 more in rounds 2 to 4 (everyone loves a March champion). He did kick 4 against Fremantle in round 22 in a close victory, so that one counts.

It’s critical to take into account when the goals are kicked - against what opposition and in what context. Stringer is big and fast and he will plainly be able to do damage when he’s up against weak opposition. He’s like a poor man’s Rayner - bullies like that seem to go home when the opposition can fight back.
WhyPhilWhy?
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 25 times

Post by WhyPhilWhy? »

An insider of my acquaintance told me, "not if I've got anything to do with it".
BEAMER09
Been liked: 8 times

Post by BEAMER09 »

2 yrs and an option for a 3rd and if no-one else trumps, he will be ours...
COLLINGW09D
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 88 times

Post by Pies2016 »

Frankly, I can’t see why we are supposedly linked so heavily to him. If the club did believe it needed to bolster its forward line in 2025 ( which I’m not convinced should be a focus when we averaged 87 points for this season without McStay or Miochek ever playing together in 2024) why wouldn’t we focus all our attention on a free agent, like Tim Membrey. Similar age, works hard in the forward line, is a reliable goal kicker and best of all, no trade involved.
Fly prides himself on a front six that doesn’t let the ball out once it’s locked in. It’s a key component to our game day philosophy and I don’t see the club compromising on those “ non negotiables “. Stringer is also going to be hard sell as long as the club continues to trot out those family first principles. I’m not judging him but we live in a world where perception is everything and the perception isn’t great.
Personally, I continue to remain open minded about him but I can’t see how the footy dept would believe he should be a target, particularly when you have an alternative like Membrey available as a free agent. I accept Membrey isn’t a part time midfielder but if we’re going to rely on Stringers forty odd goals for the season, then his role in midfield would be minimal at best, anyway.
The whole Stringer interest just doesn’t make a lot of sense to me.
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
Magpie Russ
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 16 times

Post by Magpie Russ »

Pies4shaw wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2024 7:56 am He’s like a poor man’s Rayner - bullies like that seem to go home when the opposition can fight back.
That is a might insult... :)

Just on Rayner... he gets mentioned here and there... we should trade for him and the like.
Rayner is an above average footballer at best.

At the same age Stringer had a much better career. Stringer was AA in 2015 kicking 52 goals, 42 goals in the Bulldogs flag year 2016...

I am ambivalent about his recruitment but glad to have some trade/draft news to talk about.
As it looks like the only player we will be trading for is Slim Pickings.
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 55 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

^ Mick Malthouse was scathing about the selection of Rayner as AA on 774, Saturday morning, before the Brisbane game. I’m old school like Mick - I actually don’t care how much of the ball anyone gets against the lightweights. Performance in big games against good opposition or at key moments is what counts. It’s why, eg, I always liked Sidebottom and never wanted Treloar. True, you need guys who get enough of the ball to get you to the Finals - but those of us old enough to live through the post-‘58 drought know that getting there isn’t what matters. It’s the players who perform at or about the same level - or get better - under Finals pressure that win things.

Of course, Mick was right about Rayner - he barely touched the ball against GWS: all those physical attributes for so little output.
Piesnchess

Post by Piesnchess »

IF he does come to us, and we do need a bit of mongrel in our side, we lack a mongrel , I hope we can call him JAKE THE SNAKE. in honour of of the wrestler from the WWF, all those yrs ago, Jake, the snake, Roberts. LOL

LaurieHolden
Has liked: 151 times
Been liked: 152 times

Post by LaurieHolden »

Piesnchess wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2024 10:57 am IF he does come to us, and we do need a bit of mongrel in our side, we lack a mongrel
One thing we don't lack is mongrel. We're a side that scores from pressure and turnover, that's our DNA. McCreery, Maynard, JDG and Schultz all have mongrel in them.
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers