Trade Targets ~ Free Agency & MSD player discussion

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

LaurieHolden
Has liked: 202 times
Been liked: 185 times

Re: Trade Targets ~ Free Agency & MSD player discussion

Post by LaurieHolden »

Geek wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2024 12:38 pm So, our AFL reporter says that in order to get a mid first round pick, we will have to give a mid first round pick (possibly worse) and John Noble.
Therefore, Noble is worthless or worse.
Got the work experience kid doing the rounds on the AFL site again, I see.
@Geek You best read the article again. The senior journos that collaborated on the article are quite right. They're clearly saying that a competitive tender has emerged for GCS pick #12, and any offer needs to be enhanced, particularly if we believe a straight swap is one the cards.
In what Universe is Noble worth GCS current #12 pick? Not in this one. We'll need to table equivalent draft points at a minimum, and that'll likely mean a future 1st or 2nd to be added to the pot. If I was GCS, I'd be doing exactly the same.
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
Take_a_Screamer
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 25 times

Post by Take_a_Screamer »

He has not been linked to us but interesting...

Carlton small forward Matt Owies who kicked 33 goals cannot find suitors
https://www.sen.com.au/news/2024/10/04/ ... e-suitors/
Ash Johnson...you beauty
Johnson Screamer @ https://www.afl.com.au/video/931485/joh ... -epic-mark? ❤️️
SLORT
Has liked: 250 times
Been liked: 145 times

Post by SLORT »

I think the Blues were hoping Port would bite. They're waiting on whether Richards comes, so if that falls through and Richards stays with us then I think he'd be a good fit for them. I also think the Blues are juggling lots of balls, trying to find some way to get Houston. Thus Martin goes for salary space, and Kennedy with Owies are put on the trade list. Probably explains why we also have so many players waiting on their futures at the moment. Feels like it'll be an extra-complicated trading period with lots of shit not getting done till the last minute. At least Dedoro "the Constipator" won't be around to clog shit up even more...
Charlie Oneeye
Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 35 times

Post by Charlie Oneeye »

I don't know a lot about Tomlinson, my memory snippets don't recall a damaging player.
I perceive he is not KPP, but rather, an ageing backup for the more aged Howe.

Someone has to eat the bread rolls

I could be wrong
Geek
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Geek »

LaurieHolden wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2024 12:51 pm ^
Again: our future first and Noble for a mid-round first ranks Noble as worthless. It is a bad deal for us. I get that their pick is a bit of a hot commodity right now - let someone else overpay for it. We need to be showing some trade discipline now that Wrighty has left the building.

A 2nd rounder is far more palatable. So is a straight swap for pick 20
Presti35
Has liked: 389 times
Been liked: 178 times

Post by Presti35 »

Take_a_Screamer wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2024 1:44 pm He has not been linked to us but interesting...

Carlton small forward Matt Owies who kicked 33 goals cannot find suitors
https://www.sen.com.au/news/2024/10/04/ ... e-suitors/
Owies would interest me if we didnt have so many small forwards already. I mean I guess Elliott may only play 1 more season and he is capable of kicking 30 goals a season. But I think we should be targeting Kennedy from Carlton first. I still wouldn't say no, but we need to fill our other needs first. I think Essendon should be looking at him above all, they are in desperate need of a small forward.
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
Culprit
Has liked: 40 times
Been liked: 60 times

Post by Culprit »

What type of player is on Fly's and the other coaches' wish list?
I think Perryman was one and they secured him. My perception is they want an experienced interceptor (or two) who can read the play.
One is to replace Murphy and another to replace Howe. Who's available to fill that role?
Fly mentions a forward but I see Murphy's loss had more of an impact this year than a forward.
stui magpie
Has liked: 110 times
Been liked: 135 times

Post by stui magpie »

^
Yes and no. Our defence was definitely off this year but was that because we missed Murphy or because our forwards and mids allowed the ball inside our D50 too easily?
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
RudeBoy
Been liked: 131 times

Post by RudeBoy »

For those who believe our defence suffered this year because of the loss of Murphy, it's worth remembering that we won the 2023 Flag without Murphy for most of the game. The fact is, Moore, Maynard, Quaynor, Markov and Frampton ALL performed worse in 2024 than they did the previous season. Stui is correct to point to our lack of midfield strength, but I also believe that our defenders performed below par. They all need to regain their best football in 2025 if we are to improve as a team.
Pies2016
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 163 times

Re: Thinking ahead to 2024 draft...(and beyond)

Post by Pies2016 »

Culprit wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2024 2:25 pm What type of player is on Fly's and the other coaches' wish list? Fly mentions a forward but I see Murphy's loss had more of an impact this year than a forward.
Always best to refer back to what we know.
We obviously were into Keane (and seemingly confident of securing him too)
There’s also talk of Tomlinson being linked to Collingwood, so I’ve got no doubt we’re looking at another KPD who is an improvement on the Frampton / Dean revolving door.
We were possibly sniffing around Lobb but that seemed to have run it’s race.
Frost would be worth a chat after the Battle and Barrass acquisitions but Hawthorn have hosed that down also.
Caleb Marchbank ( now delisted ) was a good footballer as a young player but his career has been wrecked by injury. Maybe that’s the type of player they throw a lifeline at no trade cost.

Hopefully the solution ends up being one of those names that comes out of left field on the last couple days of the trade period.
One thing we need to keep an eye on, is that if we do secure Houston, we would effectively have very little left to acquire any key defender of quality onto the list ( unless we were to trade out some quality of our own )
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
Charlie Oneeye
Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 35 times

Post by Charlie Oneeye »

I watched the first half vrs melb last night.

Stast wide, Tomlinson was well in front, but the Pies were in attack most of the night and he had work to do... but otherwise, Dean did pretty well when called upon.

I don't think we gain anything bringing Tomlinson in.
derkd
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by derkd »

I am worried this chase for pick 13 is turning into an arms race with Carlton, I would prefer we abandoned the chase for this, get a pick and go to the draft Collingwood, no over spending on a 27 year old.

If Carlton want to blow all their draft capital on this guy, go right ahead.
"To know nothing of events before your birth, is to forever remain a child" - Cicero (Roman Lawyer/Senator) 46 BCE.
Pies2016
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 163 times

Post by Pies2016 »

^^^
Yep and If Houston goes to Carlton, we should then focus on chasing Mathew Kennedy. The Blues cap would be bursting at the seams and if they are now offering their future first and second rounders for Houston, then they will need to find a way to replace that future second rounder during this trade period.
Last edited by Pies2016 on Sun Oct 06, 2024 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
Presti35
Has liked: 389 times
Been liked: 178 times

Post by Presti35 »

Has Houston actually named a club, or is he happy to go to the team that satisfies Port? Is he happy just to go to North and be lucky to see finals again by the time he retires? Does he see more opportunity at Carlton or Collingwood? Where does he actually want to go?

And yes the race for this pick 13 is annoying with so many clubs fighting for it.

I think we need to get Lord and can get this done. I think we need to get Kennedy, but this could depend on where Houston goes. I want Houston, but also am worried about the potential cost. If it was as simple as Nobel for 13 and then 13 and Joe for Houston, then we're all good... but it's just simply not going to be that easy with other clubs trying to get him. So it could be possible that its either Lord and Houston, or Lord, Fiorini, and pick 27?

And A LOT of the other action this trade period will heavily depend on what happens with pick 13/Houston, so other clubs will be hoping this gets done early.

Tomorrow will be an interesting day.
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
themonk

Post by themonk »

derkd wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2024 6:54 pm I am worried this chase for pick 13 is turning into an arms race with Carlton, I would prefer we abandoned the chase for this, get a pick and go to the draft Collingwood, no over spending on a 27 year old.

If Carlton want to blow all their draft capital on this guy, go right ahead.
They're looking at getting an AA & enter a strong draft with a first round pick. Not a bad strategy.