Farewell and thanks - John Noble

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

The General
Has liked: 3 times

Re: #9 John Noble - requests a trade

Post by The General »

Send Noble to GC along with our 2nd rounder and future first. In return they send us Matt Rowell. Win/win I say.

GC will shortly have an over supply of insider mids so why not help them out now and give them some draft picks they need for academy players (And Noble as well).
Pies2016
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 163 times

Post by Pies2016 »

The club is going to find it pretty difficult to to get a top end pick without making the decision to offer up their future first rounder. Even if Noble was a straight swap for Suns pick 20, that pick will drift out to 24 / 25 on the night and we’re back into speculative territory for the rest of the U18 talent available.

The Suns have that many 2024 picks ( and that’s not including a possible Lukosuis trade ) they won’t be looking hard for more picks they don’t need or won’t use ( and that’s allowing for the Rioli and Noble trades )
We have two assets the Suns would want and that’s Noble and our future first rounder.

If Collingwood are keen on getting into the teens in this draft, we could look to offer up Noble and our F1 in return for their #13 ( likely 16 / 17 on the night ) and also their # 26 or the pick for the Lukosuis trade pick.
Out is Noble and our F1 and in is #13 and #26 or something similar. We could then turn that #26 into a best 23 player and also potentially go to the draft and select the second best U18 tall in the country ( Armstrong will likely be gone )
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
Pies2016

Re: Thinking ahead to 2024 draft...(and beyond)

Post by Pies2016 »

The “ simplest “ way to satisfy both the now and the future of our list needs, is to push the Suns for a trade that involves Noble and our future first rounder in return for their 2024 # 13 ( likely 16 / 17 on the night ) and their # 20 pick ( which would also drift out to 25 (?) on the night )
The Suns have so many 2024 picks available ( plus the likely trade of Lukosuis), they would likely be more interested in banking a decent 2025 pick, rather than any of our 2024 picks.
In return, we would gain a decent first round pick to use, as well as being in a position to on-trade their # 20 for a player who would improve our current best 23. Although this would involve losing our 2025 first pick, this would be offset by the selection of McGuane as an F /S prospect in the 2025 first round anyway.

The Suns will have a lot going on, including the Rioli trade and that will likely involve their #6 and then there’s also the trading out of Lukosuis. You want to be negotiating the Noble trade now, just so you can both announce that deal early in trade week and then both clubs can move on and create new opportunities with the assets they both traded in.
Also, the Suns have such a young list, I don’t think they would be to concerned about trading out their early picks ( compared to other clubs ) and they would still pick up Lombard as an NGA in the teens with a combination of their later picks anyway.
I see the above as a win, win for both clubs but it takes two to tango, so who knows how it will play out. In a year where not many clubs will want to trade out their first rounders in such a good draft, you want to be in constant dialogue with the Suns while both clubs continue to have something they both want. I reckon they loom as our best chance to get into the meat of this draft… assuming that’s what we want to do also.
neil
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 27 times

Post by neil »

Ask GC we want your pick 13 you get Noble plus what do you want
Depending on the Richards trade we could have a few second round picks with enough points for them to get Lombard
Carlscum 120 years being cheating scum
Charlie Oneeye
Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 35 times

Re: Trade Targets ~ Free Agency & MSD player movements

Post by Charlie Oneeye »

I'll take pick 12, but I doubt it will be offered.

We have a chance :
Pick 20 and Pick 26, for Noble and pick 32
or :
Pick 26 and 34 for Noble and pick 48
Pies2016

Re: Trade Targets ~ Free Agency & MSD player movements

Post by Pies2016 »

Take_a_Screamer wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2024 4:23 pm
BazBoy wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2024 10:46 am Saw some where Leppitsch had asked Suns for pick 12 in exchange for John Noble

Is that correct & is there any movement??
Yes pick 12...
Magpies’ reported asking price for John Noble could unlock monster trade.
I’d suggest pick 12 is a genuine possibility with the Suns, simply because we have something they want, Johnny Noble. We would need to give up more on top of Noble but we have plenty of options to satisfy the secondary part of that deal.
With the NGA bid for Lombard expected to come in the early teens, the Suns would be looking to trade out their pick 12 anyway. The Suns will also look to plan for the 2025 draft as part of this years strategy, so it might be our futures form part of any conversation that includes pick 12.
Ultimately, any Noble trade that includes their pick 12 is our best outcome, while any trade that would include their pick 20, draws closer to a “ straight swap “ outcome.
What we do with that pick is another conversation but the key is to get that deal done quickly, so we can then go forward during the trade period with a much improved draft hand.
Jen2310
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 74 times

Re: Thinking ahead to 2024 draft...(and beyond)

Post by Jen2310 »

Per HS:

Collingwood is asking for a first-rounder for half back John Noble but will have to be satisfied with pick 20, which will filter back a handful of spots after NGA and father-son bids.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/ ... 752e147f22
Pies2016

#9 John Noble - requests a trade

Post by Pies2016 »

So the latest media releases are suggesting Collingwood are offering Noble and our F1 for the Suns #13 and #23 in return. Suns reckon that’s wanting to much back and I tend to agree ( just ) Their next pick is #29.
IF Collingwood do end up with pick #13, you would expect it will either come with #23 or #29 also.
Out - Noble + F1
In #13 + #23 OR #29
Still a good result for the Suns who want both Noble and future picks and have little need for either picks 23 or 29.
For Collingwood, it’s all about the key piece that unlocks the Houston trade.
piffdog
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by piffdog »

^^
Tend to agree with your view.
Would you prefer their #29 this year, or take a punt on their second rounder next year?
It's never as good/nor bad as it seems...
LaurieHolden
Has liked: 202 times
Been liked: 185 times

Post by LaurieHolden »

As per SEN’s Sam Edmund, Collingwood have proposed giving up John Noble and their club’s future first-round pick, in exchange for the Suns’ pick 13 and 23 in this year’s draft.

Edmund also reported that the Blues are offering their own future first and second for Gold Coas’s prized pick 13.
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
Pies2016

Post by Pies2016 »

^^^
@piffdog
If we put ourselves in the Suns shoes, they have so many draft picks this year, that’s their trading currency of choice. They also have a couple more good academy kids coming through in 2025, so they will want to bring in futures, not trade them out. I would probably be ok with their F2 cause we will need it for McGuane but the Suns won’t have much interest in handing it over as per the above.
This will just be the usual argy bargy with every trade. We might get #23, we might not but it really all comes down to who blinks first. I’m hoping ( and I think Collingwood is too ) that the Suns have such a surplus of picks, they can’t be bothered wasting any more energy on #23 after a few days of haggling. The Suns do have a lot on their plate this trade period, so youre looking for clean air whenever you can get it during the trade period .
P S - We also need to remember #23 will either be #26 / #27 on the night.
Johnno75
Been liked: 45 times

Post by Johnno75 »

Might have to give them back 36 or a later pick.
Human behavioural studies suggest people who use a lot of swear words tend to be more honest & trustworthy.
Pies2016

Post by Pies2016 »

Johnno75 wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2024 5:27 pm Might have to give them back 36 or a later pick.
Yep, plenty of ways to skin a cat. #23 would be a nice pick to take to this draft. Time will tell.
Jezza
Has liked: 223 times
Been liked: 308 times

Post by Jezza »

Farewell to John. He was a good servant of the club over several years and deserves our respect.

Disappointing he missed out on 2023 as he deserved a flag, but it wasn't to be. Go well up in the Sunshine state.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
piedys
Has liked: 351 times
Been liked: 99 times

Post by piedys »

Jezza wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2024 4:09 pm Farewell to John. He was a good servant of the club over several years and deserves our respect.

Disappointing he missed out on 2023 as he deserved a flag, but it wasn't to be. Go well up in the Sunshine state.
Thanks Johnny; your dashes from half back will be sorely missed, particularly the ones that actually hit the target.

Sorry you missed out on 2023; that was totally unjust, considering an ungrateful little arsehole got your medal.

Will keep an eye on you at GCS under Dimma; go with our blessing bloke.
M I L L A N E 4 2 forever