Trade Winds: Dan Houston

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

piffdog
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 74 times

Re: Trade Winds: Dan Houston

Post by piffdog »

Haff wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2024 1:54 pm Hearing he has all but nominated Carlton. **** it.
Same Journo that said this has written an article saying he would be happy to play "for either" Collingwood or Carlton. Unless you have a differens source thats not quite "all but nominated". It is hard to keep up however.

Same article flags that we are looking to swap Noble and future first to GC for their #13 and #23. Now as much as I would love that outcome - I think thats overs for Noble. If we could get that trade we shoudl take it and run. I think their #13 and #29 or their #13 and next years seconde rounder probably a more balanced outcome.
It's never as good/nor bad as it seems...
piffdog
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 74 times

Post by piffdog »

Culprit wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2024 2:38 pm
Haff wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2024 1:54 pm Hearing he has all but nominated Carlton. **** it.
The pressure is on the Blues to use #12.
They could use it right now and be done with it - but I maintain they dont really want Houston, they just want to make us pay overs for him...
It's never as good/nor bad as it seems...
K
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 29 times

Post by K »

Pie-supporting journo Niall sounds worried:

A hefty price: Why the Pies’ pursuit of Houston is risky business

'Collingwood are ahead of Carlton in the tender for the services of Dan Houston, but to be “in the box seat” for Houston also means boxing yourself into a deal that carries significant risks for the Magpies.'

(The Age)
K
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 29 times

Post by K »

Mr Miyagi wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2024 5:34 pm Love to get Houston! Sad to see Joe go, but we matched his offer from Port and he still wants to go so farewell and good luck. ...
No, we didn't... Port offered a year more than even our upgraded offer.
Haff
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 55 times

Post by Haff »

I reckon we played it well. Like to keep him but he is limited and this is all we’re willing to go too.
The match day thread is for unfiltered BS knee jerk reactions. The time for level headed comment comes after.
Presti35
Has liked: 393 times
Been liked: 181 times

Post by Presti35 »

Just cant wait to see this deal done. I'm keen to see what else we can do this trade period. Very keen to see what picks we'll have for other trades or use. Weather or not Dan is a Pie in 2025, Noble WILL be a Sun and Joe WILL be at Port.

I just hope we're not waiting until the death like always.
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
Big T
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 76 times

Post by Big T »

Agree with Niall. It’s very risky. Overpaying for a half back flanker whose stats aren’t much better than Nobles. Effectively giving away another prime pick in the super draft after the Schulz debacle. Don’t like it one bit.
Buon Giorno
Piesnchess
Has liked: 229 times
Been liked: 94 times

Post by Piesnchess »

Sounds like a fine player to me, sick of missing big fish, just get him, worry bout the costs later.
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Big T

Post by Big T »

Piesnchess wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2024 12:19 am Sounds like a fine player to me, sick of missing big fish, just get him, worry bout the costs later.
He’s not a big fish. He’s a decent flanker and that’s it. Big fish will be coming out of the top 20 in this draft.
Buon Giorno
jonmac1954
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 31 times

Post by jonmac1954 »

Big T wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2024 10:31 pm Agree with Niall. It’s very risky. Overpaying for a half back flanker whose stats aren’t much better than Nobles. Effectively giving away another prime pick in the super draft after the Schulz debacle. Don’t like it one bit.
Big T wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2024 4:05 am
Piesnchess wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2024 12:19 am Sounds like a fine player to me, sick of missing big fish, just get him, worry bout the costs later.
He’s not a big fish. He’s a decent flanker and that’s it. Big fish will be coming out of the top 20 in this draft.
Fly and the the group have explicitly stated they believe we are still in the window. Anything that interferes with that will most likely be rejected or shelved. Top 20 is good but results won't be seen earlier that 2027.

Unlike some I don't pretend to know precisely what the club needs immediately for another tilt at the flag but I do accept that those who are charged with building and molding the list understand far more than 95% of punters.

Fly says go for another flag . . . fine. The obvious general strategy is to attract players who will improve the list instantly, ready to go. Dan isn't a huge upgrade and he isn't bargain basement but history tells me that high profile trades often don't do it, and high end draftees mostly take a few years.

Harry and Dan improve us immediately that is what we need to challenge in the upcoming season.

So be it.
Big T

Post by Big T »

I understand the logic Mac, I just don’t agree. I mean our injuries alone tells me that this list is too old and busted up and it is likely to recur next year. I think we r making a mistake of monumental proportions.
Buon Giorno
jonmac1954
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 31 times

Post by jonmac1954 »

Big T wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2024 6:19 am I understand the logic Mac, I just don’t agree. I mean our injuries alone tells me that this list is too old and busted up and it is likely to recur next year. I think we r making a mistake of monumental proportions.
I hear ya Big T and agree to degree but we aren't in the driving seat. I think we are agreed that this is a cusp moment that will effect the next 3 years for the list. I am if anything much more concerned than most here as I celebrated my 70th birthday in August and time has a different meaning for me now.

With dad having been a fanatical Collingwood supporter during the 4pete and up until his death when I was 10 I was aware of the magnificence of the Pies almost before I could walk LOL. The Pies have always been part of the fabric of my life, as much a part of me and as necessary as breathing. So I want as much success as possible before my time comes.

We all know even the most competitive list can flounder with enough injuries so that can easily determine the outcome of a season as we found this season.

In general I have faith in Pendles professionalism but it's the onball division that worries me - having aging bodies in there worries me as it's physically demanding so Harry is a very good get. Mason is also near the end so we need a bridging player to carry the load until our young prospects mature enough to handle that load.
think better
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 37 times

Post by think better »

Big T wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2024 4:05 am
I reckon he is big fish - 2 time all Australian and a proven performer. It will be interesting how many top 20 picks in the draft make it to being All Australian
I think therefore I think - I think
BazBoy
Been liked: 40 times

Post by BazBoy »

If this guy really wants to be a Blue Bagger do we think he will be fully committed
Also if it’s correct that Blues might not want him but would love to push up what we pay

Is it all worth it ???
I'm not arguing--just explaining why i am right
Durka
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 4 times

Post by Durka »

BazBoy wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2024 8:46 am If this guy really wants to be a Blue Bagger do we think he will be fully committed
Also if it’s correct that Blues might not want him but would love to push up what we pay

Is it all worth it ???
Do you think that Peter Daicos was not committed to Collingwood?
He asked to be cleared to the team that he initially supported - South Melbourne - but the request was rejected.