Trade Targets ~ Free Agency & MSD player discussion

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

RudeBoy
Been liked: 131 times

Re: Trade Targets ~ Free Agency & MSD player discussion

Post by RudeBoy »

The notion that players could be traded against their wishes is obscene.
Johnno75
Been liked: 45 times

Post by Johnno75 »

The problem is that GC think that they can deal #13 with anyone that has a heartbeat.

Our offer was well down the pecking order and the idiots thought they could just sit in the kings chair fielding offers.

Now Carlton baulked to #14 and Melbourne to #9. Not sure if Roos are still contemplating a play for Houston now that #9 is out. What this means is GC might start getting a little more desperate to offload #13 now.

For us it was more luck than actual good management.
Human behavioural studies suggest people who use a lot of swear words tend to be more honest & trustworthy.
Pies2016
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 163 times

Post by Pies2016 »

So the eagles have just knocked back Blues 12 and 14 for the Eagles pick # 3. That doesn’t feel like a move from Carlton that aligns itself with pursuing Houston. For mine, it seems it’s either Houston stays at Port or comes to Collingwood.

It also feels like the Suns, on the back of repeatedly being ridiculed for their history of paying overs for trades, have finally decided to shed that tag with a week of hard ball. They find themselves with so many picks, it doesn’t matter and yet they refuse to get deals done on Rioli, Noble and Lukosuis with only two days to go.
I’m not fussed whether we get Houston or not but if it’s not to be, we want to at least be going to the draft with one late first rounder in our back pocket. ( # 23 is CURRENTLY the last pick of round one )
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
RudeBoy

Post by RudeBoy »

The Tigers are the ones being dickheads, demanding way too much for Rioli. This is holding us up from securing pick 23 from the Suns, which we would need to pass on to Port for Houston. I suspect it could all be finalised or fall apart at close of business on Wednesday.
piedys
Has liked: 351 times
Been liked: 99 times

Post by piedys »

Presti35 wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2024 8:00 pm Deven Robertson says he wants to get to Collingwood now....
Presti35 wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2024 12:34 pm Stop sending me quotes from "The Castle".
Insert everybody's favourite Castle quote here, in response to Deven Robertson request above....
M I L L A N E 4 2 forever
piedys

Post by piedys »

Now, hypothetically speaking... had we NOT given Freo our 2024 first round pick for the much maligned Sgt.Shultz, and simply staunched them to accept only the 2023 selection for him, how different would the 2024 trade table look right now, at least from our perspective?
Jus' askin' for a friend....
stui magpie
Has liked: 110 times
Been liked: 135 times

Post by stui magpie »

RudeBoy wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2024 1:22 pm The notion that players could be traded against their wishes is obscene.
Not really, it happens overseas and used to happen in the VFL. I recall the story where Russell Greene (I think it was) rocked up to St. Kilda training on Tuesday and was told to clean out his locker, he'd been traded to Hawthorn. He trained with Hawthorn Thurday arvo and played for them Saturday, after playing for Stkilda the previous weekend.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
piedys

Post by piedys »

stui magpie wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2024 3:22 pm
RudeBoy wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2024 1:22 pm The notion that players could be traded against their wishes is obscene.
Not really, it ... used to happen in the VFL. I recall the story where Russell Greene (I think it was) rocked up to St. Kilda training on Tuesday and was told to clean out his locker, he'd been traded to Hawthorn. He trained with Hawthorn Thurday arvo and played for them Saturday, after playing for Stkilda the previous weekend.
Crazy days back then; but remember: no national draft prior to 1986, no caps restrictions, and the lists were much longer.
More to the point, players weren't so much "traded", as they were "sold off". And yes this happened multiples times during seasons: Atkins, Paul Morwood, Foschini; to name a few...
RudeBoy

Post by RudeBoy »

stui magpie wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2024 3:22 pm
Not really, it happens overseas and used to happen in the VFL. I recall the story where Russell Greene (I think it was) rocked up to St. Kilda training on Tuesday and was told to clean out his locker, he'd been traded to Hawthorn. He trained with Hawthorn Thurday arvo and played for them Saturday, after playing for Stkilda the previous weekend.
It was obscene back then too.
lazzadesilva
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

The notion that the players can’t choose to play for the club they barracked for is worst.
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
lazzadesilva
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

I remember John Randall playing for South Melbourne one weekend and then swapped to North Melbourne where he played the very next weekend!
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
piffdog
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by piffdog »

So Atkins going to Port will satisfy Port's demands and looks like the dominos are about to fall.

I suspect we will end up with:

In: Houston
OUt: Noble, Richards, F1

And that will be the deal... I would have liked to get something back our way (another 30-40 pick), but gleaning the reports which are breaking that seems unlikely.

We were probably resigned to losing Noble and Richards, and I think getting Houston in will be significant.
It's never as good/nor bad as it seems...
Jamie is only 19
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 6 times

Post by Jamie is only 19 »

What a horrible deal for us a fantastic deal for Port
Smells like Pies Spirit
slangman
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 21 times

Post by slangman »

piffdog wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2024 4:28 pm So Atkins going to Port will satisfy Port's demands and looks like the dominos are about to fall.

I suspect we will end up with:

In: Houston
OUt: Noble, Richards, F1

And that will be the deal... I would have liked to get something back our way (another 30-40 pick), but gleaning the reports which are breaking that seems unlikely.

We were probably resigned to losing Noble and Richards, and I think getting Houston in will be significant.
I sincerely hope that this isn’t the deal because if it is then we have once again have paid overs….and by a long way!!!
- Side By Side -
piffdog
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by piffdog »

Jamie is only 19 wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2024 4:34 pm What a horrible deal for us a fantastic deal for Port
I dont know that I would call it horrible. We are potentially coming off the worst of the three clubs, but then again we have already decided we are all in on 2025. No point signing Sidey, Howe, Pendles etc for another season and then leaving a chess piece like Houston on the table.

Richards was probably going to go to Port for a pick in the 40-50 range anyway. Houston will contribute significantly more to a flag tilt in 2025 than Richards would have. I dont think Noble would have even been in a fully fit team in 2025 either. So ignoring what the others are getting, the thing we have given up which is of most value to us (me...) is F1.

Clearly risks involved.
It's never as good/nor bad as it seems...