Trade Targets ~ Free Agency & MSD player discussion

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

RudeBoy
Been liked: 131 times

Re: Trade Targets ~ Free Agency & MSD player discussion

Post by RudeBoy »

My only real worry is that in securing Houston we have given up prized 2025 draft picks, possibly making it difficult/impossible to secure Tom McGuane next year.
SLORT
Has liked: 245 times
Been liked: 143 times

Post by SLORT »

Well, nothing's happening quickly all over again. If it were a case of a missing piece then it should have been moving early. Hoping Pies do a Hawthorn and say yeah nah.

~ Carlton WC and Richmond trade going down...number three changing hands.
Presti35
Has liked: 389 times
Been liked: 175 times

Post by Presti35 »

I hate this feeling that we've wasted all this time while other teams have improved their draft hand.

We just need to get the Nobel deal done. And we need to get Lord for Joe. Is there still a need to have a crack at Kennedy?
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 93 times
Been liked: 178 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

Kennedy doesn’t want to leave Carlton apparently.
Pies2016
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 163 times

Post by Pies2016 »

RudeBoy wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2024 8:53 am My only real worry is that in securing Houston we have given up prized 2025 draft picks, possibly making it difficult/impossible to secure Tom McGuane next year.
R B, definitely makes it more difficult but still very achievable. The good news is, as of next year, clubs can trade picks up to two years in advance. The bad news is, as of next year, F / S concessions are diluted, hence it becomes a more difficult exercise to complete.
My concern with trading out our F1 every year is that we are forever chasing our tail during the trade period. The reason we are in this mess with Houston is because we have / had nothing up front to trade out. Clubs will always prefer the certainty of the current year pick, over the uncertainty that comes with accepting a pick a year down the track.
We will also be in the same position once again next year if the Houston deal goes through, so the best way to square the slate, is to pull out of the Houston deal and do a stand alone trade of Noble to the Suns. Hope that Houston goes to the Kangas and that then weakens Port in the short term.
There’s going to be a lot of quality players out of contract next year and we will virtually have no chance of getting in on any action ( especially with so many looming retirements ) if we don’t have our first rounder as a tradable asset.
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
Presti35

Post by Presti35 »

Mr Miyagi wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2024 10:14 am Kennedy doesn’t want to leave Carlton apparently.
Hmm. ok. Well that changes it.

I just want something to happen for us here. If we're not getting Houston, can we trade for Smith? For Barrass?... For Oliver?? :shock: Do we want to go for Robertson? If we're supposedly "all in" then something has to happen. If only LDR said "make me a Pie". Do players want to play here? Do they want to play with Daicos? Do they want a shot at glory?
SLORT

Post by SLORT »

^Carlton giving up 12 & 13 means they're no longer on Houston's rocket.
Mr Miyagi

Post by Mr Miyagi »

If C Oliver played for us, the media would spill on everything, the AFL would ban him for 6-12 months, we’d be criticised for bad culture, and our 2025-2030 seasons would be total train wrecks. Hell no do we want him. It’s why we said no to Stringer after due diligence, we don’t want the media circus. The only people who want Oliver playing for us are Caro Wilson etc

I’m actually thrilled the club is thinking of these things now. We don’t want bad press for bad behaviour.
Last edited by Mr Miyagi on Tue Oct 15, 2024 11:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
piedys
Has liked: 351 times
Been liked: 99 times

Post by piedys »

Mr Miyagi wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2024 10:14 am Kennedy doesn’t want to leave Carlton apparently.
But... he reserves the right to hate the coach's guts; like the rest of us....
M I L L A N E 4 2 forever
SLORT

Post by SLORT »

Better get a move on Pies...shit's happening...(Carlton, WCE, Richmond, and now Bris, SK)
Mr Miyagi

Post by Mr Miyagi »

piedys wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2024 11:52 am
I don’t know many people who are good mates with their boss! ;)
piedys
Has liked: 351 times
Been liked: 99 times

Post by piedys »

Mr Miyagi wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2024 11:54 am
piedys wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2024 11:52 am
I don’t know many people who are good mates with their boss! ;)
True; but you'd hope there aren't any Collingwood players harbouring similar feelings of animosity towards Fly though, would you?
Grudges like that don't stay buried in the inner sanctum for long, and just fester into tabloid fodder for the bottom feeder AFL jackal journos to feast upon.
Of course, that's not telling you guys anything you don't already know lol.
M I L L A N E 4 2 forever
Presti35

Post by Presti35 »

Mr Miyagi wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2024 11:52 am If C Oliver played for us....
I wasn't really serious about Clarry. But I DO want something to happen for us! (FWIW, I believe the Dees should ship him off asap).
RudeBoy
Been liked: 131 times

Post by RudeBoy »

Pies2016 wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2024 10:15 am
RudeBoy wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2024 8:53 am My only real worry is that in securing Houston we have given up prized 2025 draft picks, possibly making it difficult/impossible to secure Tom McGuane next year.
R B, definitely makes it more difficult but still very achievable. The good news is, as of next year, clubs can trade picks up to two years in advance. The bad news is, as of next year, F / S concessions are diluted, hence it becomes a more difficult exercise to complete.
My concern with trading out our F1 every year is that we are forever chasing our tail during the trade period. The reason we are in this mess with Houston is because we have / had nothing up front to trade out. Clubs will always prefer the certainty of the current year pick, over the uncertainty that comes with accepting a pick a year down the track.
We will also be in the same position once again next year if the Houston deal goes through, so the best way to square the slate, is to pull out of the Houston deal and do a stand alone trade of Noble to the Suns. Hope that Houston goes to the Kangas and that then weakens Port in the short term.
There’s going to be a lot of quality players out of contract next year and we will virtually have no chance of getting in on any action ( especially with so many looming retirements ) if we don’t have our first rounder as a tradable asset.
I'm with you P2016.
Jezza
Has liked: 223 times
Been liked: 307 times

Post by Jezza »

Linked to Tim Membrey according to Cal Twomey.
Collingwood has emerged as a possible destination for Tim Membrey. The Saints forward has gathered some interest from the Pies - he doesn't have a deal for next year at St Kilda.
https://x.com/CalTwomey/status/1845996964359688452
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆