Victoria Park - Your Stories?

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

raymond35

Post by raymond35 »

I had a pie from the little pie stand behind the end of the Rush stand once, that was the hottest thing ive ever eaten. It must have been in the oven all day, as i had it at 3 quarter time and the meat and gravy was basically boiling. It was magnificent on a cold day, and did not include the piece of grissly rubber that are in most 4 and 20 pies.
London Dave

Post by London Dave »

piedys wrote: Yep, sometimes you just fluke one that's in "the zone". Ah, the reminiscing... :cry:

Dyso
yeah, a zone for sure, I went back immediately after wolfing that magical one down and got a dud!
piedys
Has liked: 281 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by piedys »

ray fidge wrote:. It must have been in the oven all day, as i had it at 3 quarter time and the meat and gravy was basically boiling. It was magnificent on a cold day, and did not include the piece of grissly rubber that are in most 4 and 20 pies.
A couple of years ago, i spat out one of those "gristle-balls" that you find in 4&20s pies, and it bounced 3 times in the space of a metre before stopping. :shock: Gotta love the rat-burgers...
Dyso
raymond35

Post by raymond35 »

:D yes, dyso. i actually own a piemaker and when i can be bothered, make some beautiful pies with it. The thing is, i dont put in a lump of rubber the way they do at 4 and 20. If you use good quality minced meat it simply doesnt happen.
Do you remember the hot chips soaked in vinegar at VFL park? They were beautiful.
piedys

Post by piedys »

ray fidge wrote:Do you remember the hot chips soaked in vinegar at VFL park? They were beautiful.
Mate, you could smell them from Wellington road! :shock:

Dyso
Joel

Post by Joel »

Just bumping this up, after the de-sticky.
Johnson#26

Post by Johnson#26 »

Another great moment was the GF trainings in 2002 and 2003. Those days were just amazing, it was like a carnival.
anchor56

Post by anchor56 »

Don't remember exactly the year but it was early 1980's. Playing Melbourne and they were up all day. We were on the terrace in front of the social club with a Melbourne supporter. The "go Dees" call became quite tedious as the day wore on. They were up by 5 goals half way through the last quarter. We won by a kick; but then we were kicking to the railway end! Favourite moment was when everyone on the social club terrace (well it seemed like everyone) thanked our demon supporter for a great game! The look on his face; it was a Visa Card moment!
London Dave

Post by London Dave »

I recall that game anchor, McAllister kicked a couple in the last, and a daics' special or two got us over the line. Think it was first round game, 83 ish perhaps. I rememer it because I was playing in a cricket grand final and getting scores off the radio.
piedys

Post by piedys »

London Dave wrote:I recall that game anchor, McAllister kicked a couple in the last, and a daics' special or two got us over the line. Think it was first round game, 83 ish perhaps.
Big Jim McAllister eh? I can't remember what number he wore (16?), or which club we got him from (Footscray?), but he did turn-it-on occasionally...
Wasn't rnd.1 1983, that was Melbourne at MCG... Didn't i sock it to Peter Moore that day... 1984 perhaps... Magpie Greg ... help....

Dyso
raymond35

Post by raymond35 »

There was a game against Melbourne at home in that era, i dont know if it was the same one, but all day a Melbourne trainer in front of the Sherrin Stand kept standing up and abusing everyone each time they kicked a goal.
During the 3rd quarter some guy up the back of the Sherrin Stand stood up and screamed "Hey moron trainer! You're team hasnt played in the finals since 1964!" The whole stand stood up and gave him a standing ovation, and the trainer didnt say a word for the rest of the day.
Johnson#26

Post by Johnson#26 »

I spoke to Shane Wakelin a little while back and he mentioned that while they will mostly train at OP, they might at times return to VP for closed sessions - something they cannot do at OP.
2005PIES

Post by 2005PIES »

shaks safe
TENACIOUS BACKLINE, DURABLE MIDFIELD, RETENTIVE FORWARD LINE. MAKE FOR A PREMIERSHIP TEAM.
cooldewd

Post by cooldewd »

2005PIES wrote:shaks safe
Great....but pray do tell what the Shak with fries has got to do with Victoria Park memories?

The Dude
Joel

Post by Joel »

We might as well take this chance to remind people that we'd love stories for NCP - let us know.