Vale / in Memorium

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

The Prototype

Post by The Prototype »

Damien wrote:Blankety Blanks what a friggin' funny show that was - his interaction with Ugly Dave Gray and Noeline Brown was priceless. Biggest lapels you ever did see on TV too.
Used to be one of my favourite shows on TV1 when I had Austar on, never missed an episode. Saw a few other shows of Graham Kennedy, though they were through Nine's archives which they showed on the Bert Newton special I think it was last year or the year before.

RIP.
The Prototype

Post by The Prototype »

Damien wrote:Who could forget our magnificent ex-President Ted Parker, who so generously wrote a personal cheque to ensure that we could secure the great Geoff Hayward in our Premiership year.
I wonder if Geoff payed him back now that he is a doctor for All Saints ;)
Damien
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by Damien »

skaman wrote:Peter the phantom puller, has finally taken our beloved Gra Gra from our earthly presence. However the comic genius we all cherrish and love, will be imbedded in our memories and thoughts forever.The King is dead. Rest in peace Gra Gra.
Havn't heard from Bert yet? I'm sure he is preparing something special and fitting.

What about Tony the Moustache twirler? (who is actually Noeline Browne's husband I believe)
'Collingwood are the Bradmans of Football'
The Herald - 1930
drew1602

Post by drew1602 »

A comic genius....He is/was to Australian TV what Johny Carson is/was to American TV...A Man so far ahead of his time comedians of today still havent caught up with his wit and and ability to turn the very ordinary into something hilarious...Who could ever forget his live adds and in particular his dog food adds on In Melbourne Tonight...

RIP Gra Gra.....gone but never forgotten
Go You Pie Boys !!!
Now & Forever
Amen !!!
PeterWH

Post by PeterWH »

Graham Cyril Kennedy....Man the Greatest Man on Australian TV RIP.
The only man who can call himself 'KING'.
I remember his antics in Studio 1 at GTV 9 in Richmond.In the days that he used to be there,I had the privilage to meek the man when I was employed as a tech with 3AK.Their production team used to come down to 3AK and organize their skits...The two funniest were when GCK drove his motorised dest into the studio and it belw up....we from 3AK had alot to do with that and also when his dog Rover craped/peed all over his dish of food that he didnt like.
There are so many funny times with the 'KING'

MAY he entertain the TROOPS in Heaven
PeterWH VK2FPHR Membership No.248693
PIES FOR PREMIERS.... YEAH WHEN!!!
We missed 2002 to 2009,BUT 2010 was OUR YEAR.. WATCH OUT 2018 here we come.We hope!!
drew1602

Post by drew1602 »

A brief run down of how the King earned his crown !!

In Melbourne Tonight
GTV9, 1957-70
In Melbourne Tonight, or IMT, was GTV9's first major studio production making its debut on 7 May 1957 - less than four months after the station had launched.

Producer Norm Spencer had tried out numerous Melbourne radio identities as potential host of the new program and ultimately awarded the job to Graham Kennedy, a 23 year old former record librarian and announcer at radio station 3UZ. Kennedy's main claim to fame at that point had been as offsider to popular Melbourne radio personality Clifford Nicholls "Nicky" Whitta.

Graham Kennedy, and IMT, were both immediate successes. The young radio announcer quickly struck a chord with Melbourne viewers and IMT with its nightly mix of song and dance numbers, comedy sketches and live commercials, became the flagship of the new channel, screening live to air, five nights a week from 9.30pm. The program would constantly be a talking point with Melburnians the following day.

Graham was joined by a growing cast of regulars including Bert Newton who moved across from HSV7 in 1959, and 'barrel girl' Panda Lisner. Graham and Panda won the first TV Week Awards as most popular male and female TV personalities in Victoria. (Graham later named the awards the Logies - after TV inventor John Logie Baird).

IMT later boasted its own orchestra and ballet troupe and segments of IMT were packaged for screening interstate.

The program dominated Melbourne's prime time television through the 1960's until Graham decided to 'retire' at the end of 1969. IMT returned in 1970 with a different host for each night of the week, but the new format was short lived and soon the program was cancelled. However IMT created a legacy of live television variety that continued on the Nine Network in various forms for several decades after.
Go You Pie Boys !!!
Now & Forever
Amen !!!
Proud Pies

Post by Proud Pies »

This friday night, channel 9 at 7.30 there will be a tribute show to Graham Kennedy
Jacqui © Proud Pies 2003 and beyond
Mountains Magpie

Vale Terry Smith

Post by Mountains Magpie »

Terry passed away last night, aged 47.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/ ... 42,00.html

Best wishes to all of Terry's people. It is FAR too young.
Spiral progress, unstoppable,
exhausted sources replaced by perversion
Johnson#26

Post by Johnson#26 »

piedys
Has liked: 281 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by piedys »

Anybody else due to die this month? Christ....
M I L L A N E 4 2 forever
stui magpie
Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 74 times

Post by stui magpie »

piedys wrote:Anybody else due to die this month? Christ....
Nah, he was back in March/April. But it's been an ordinary month
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
blacknwhitechic

Vale Ron Evans

Post by blacknwhitechic »

News just coming through that Ron Evans has passed away today from Cancer.

Would like to wish his family sympathy at this time.
luvlicca

Post by luvlicca »

I just read it as well. I was about to post it.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=127193

Condolances to his family and friends.
- Thanks for the memories Licca - I'm gonna miss you!!! - Bring on 2008 - Nick Maxwell has my vote for Captain -
Pa Marmo

Post by Pa Marmo »

Bloody cancer doesn't take any prisoners. My mates 12 year old son has just been diagnosed with Leukemia.
Genesis 1:1
Joel

Post by Joel »

nuxta, my cousin died of leukemia at that age. Cancer/Disease sucks.

Rest In Peace Ron.