Wayne Carey .... at Collingwood?

If you want to be able to chat about the really interesting stuff in footy without being hassled by the guys - do it here!

Moderators: Hanskies, foxychick

sam.

Post by sam. »

To be honest, I havent really liked him since he grabbed that womens breast in the city years ago..
But then again, if hes there to work and help us.. not much you can do.
Sam
"I've had enough of having nothing, I won't take just anything. I got my mind set on something, all I want is everything. All I want is everything."
melissa

Post by melissa »

I don't really care, like with Shane Warne, it should be their ability on the field that matters. Taz looks up to him for his footy smarts and will listen to him over a guy like Scotty Cummings. If he can get our forwards kicking bags of goals, i'm all for it.
As for the arrogant prick thing, and his attitude towards women, it only has a negative effect if you let it. If he grabs the boob of a player's wife or girlfriend i think he wil have forty very p'ed off guys who are younger and fitter than him out for his blood! Somehow I don't think he'll risk something like that again. People forget that Kelly Stephens was a willing participant in the scandal... if you were married to any of our guys would you even look at Carey with anything but disdain?!
Congrats Bucks, on a great return! Bring on the Crows!
amy_33

Post by amy_33 »

melissa wrote:I don't really care, like with Shane Warne, it should be their ability on the field that matters. Taz looks up to him for his footy smarts and will listen to him over a guy like Scotty Cummings. If he can get our forwards kicking bags of goals, i'm all for it.
As for the arrogant prick thing, and his attitude towards women, it only has a negative effect if you let it. If he grabs the boob of a player's wife or girlfriend i think he wil have forty very p'ed off guys who are younger and fitter than him out for his blood! Somehow I don't think he'll risk something like that again. People forget that Kelly Stephens was a willing participant in the scandal... if you were married to any of our guys would you even look at Carey with anything but disdain?!
really well said i agree, i think he will be able to teach our boys a whole lot. and lets hope that collingwood can do much better next year. :lol:
CARN THE PIES
tazzies_girl

Post by tazzies_girl »

If he does the job better than Cummo and it turns out to be a real improvement for the club i dont think anything else matters.

My opinion on 'anything else' though, is that he's learnt his lesson and i dont think he'll be spending that much time with the wives and girlfriends and when he is, they'll be eyes everywhere. I think he's definitley learnt his lesson though
Nutmeg

Post by Nutmeg »

This may sound overly-dramatic, but after a week of wrestling with inner demons (as regards my feminist leanings and 'solidarity with the sistas') I am, as of Wayne Carey's takinga position at Collingwood, unable to support this club until he is not there.

I have spent 22.5 eventful, sometimes blissful, mainly heartbreaking years being as passionate, fanatical and in love with the CFC as humanly possible, but it has now come to an end.

If we (women and men included) continue to overlook the behaviour of famous sportspeople towards women, women will never be truly equal. What this man did with Kelli Stephens is irrelevant - as has been stated in this thread, what took place was between two consenting adults, irrespective of what your moral standards are, they made a choice and had to deal with the consequences.

That woman that Carey grabbed all those years ago (amazing how soon we forget isn't it?) was never given a choice - she had her choice, her worth as a human being and her dignity taken from her by a man who believes he is god's gift to women, simply because he can chase a football around.
As a woman, or as a man who respects women, this behaviour cannot be tolerated and ignored - yet it is, every day and will continue to be ignored until people stand up and say ENOUGH is ENOUGH.

Fellow Collingwood supporters with whom I've discussed this issue, feel that my stance is too extreme - but this man has not only had his previous disgressions ignored, anyone who DARES to bring them up is now considered 'an hysterical female'.

So I'd like to bid you all a fond farewell - I will probably be missing some very fruitful years at the pies, but I am not of the kind that believes in winning at all costs. Allowing this man into the fold, it would be hypocritical of me to continue supporting them.
The cost will be my worth as a human being - those who have EVER had to deal with sexist discrimination, no matter how seemingly minor, can surely understand my sentiments?

For me, the cost is just too high.

See you at the Storm
Collingwood es bueno para siempre
Ellos saben como jugar el juego....
tazzies_girl

Post by tazzies_girl »

aw no nutmeg ya cant go, he's only a coach, has he even been signed yet? Cmon mate, ya cant do that
Go_The_Mighty_Magpies

Post by Go_The_Mighty_Magpies »

Pfft, just let her go. It's not like he is becoming our main coach, or even a proper assistant coach. His input will be fairly minimal with the club.

So you don't like the guy and what he's done, not saying it's right but for goodness sake it's in the past and this has nothing to do with his personal life whatsoever, this is strictly professional.

You 'leaving' is going to acomplish nothing at all, and you coming back if he leaves just shows you supporting the team whenever it suits you, not being dedicated whether you have a problem with a part time assistant or whatever.
There is just one team we favour...
Proud Pies

Post by Proud Pies »

Nutmeg, i applaud your stance, although i don't think i could bring myself to forgo my love of the pies for this one man.

I used to work in the building where the North Melbourne Physio was located. The building was only 9 floors and the physio was located on the 4th floor. A group of us would go down for morning or afternoon tea, or even at lunch time and many North players would get in the lift at the fourth floor.

Anytime that man got in the lift, he visibly looked every female up and down. It was disgusting and made every female i know feel filthy. Many lost respect for North Melbourne because of him. If he could make someone feel like that with his looks, imagine how that woman he assaulted felt.

This is the man who made jokes of his affair and getting caught at a function only a month ago. This man has no morals and it appears, no brain either.

I don't want this man at my club, but the club is bigger than one man.

I think Sally Capp should be asked how she feels to have this leech as part of her Club.
Jacqui © Proud Pies 2003 and beyond
Nutmeg

Post by Nutmeg »

Go_The_Mighty_Magpies wrote:Pfft, just let her go. It's not like he is becoming our main coach, or even a proper assistant coach. His input will be fairly minimal with the club.

So you don't like the guy and what he's done, not saying it's right but for goodness sake it's in the past and this has nothing to do with his personal life whatsoever, this is strictly professional.

You 'leaving' is going to acomplish nothing at all, and you coming back if he leaves just shows you supporting the team whenever it suits you, not being dedicated whether you have a problem with a part time assistant or whatever.
If his input will be fairly minimal, can someone explain why his contract is rumoured to be worth 100k? I know the club is well off, but come on.

There are a lot of things 'in the past' as you say - let's all just build bridges and get over it blah blah blah, yet at the same time we want to remember tradition and everything from the past. You can't have it both ways darling!

So yeah, let's forget all the bad shit that's gone on at clubs - let's forget the allegations made against Milne and Montagna, let's continue turning a blind eye to the off-field behaviour of the Canterbury Bulldogs, Wayne Carey, Peter Burgoyne, Adam Heuskes, Michael O'Loughlin etc. etc.
Let's keep reminding the women out there that what happened to them was nothing serious. When they treat wome this way, we ALL pay, you included.

And as for 'supporting the club when it suits me' - where the HELL do you get off? I've gone through it all with you - you think it suited me to support them during the Tony Shaw years? Do you think it suited me to cry after two more Grand Final defeats? To own the truth, it doesn't 'suit me' to give up now - I have the money and time for a membership next year, the future looks promising. This is why people tell me I'm mad - but I didn't give up on them when they sucked, that is the definition of people supporting when it suits them.
This is NOT about football. If it was, I'd be jumping up and down shouting 'hooray, we have an ex-great player at our club to help our budding youngsters'. This is about self-respect. I'm not asking every footballer to be a model citizen - I'm aware that they are human - but for jock's sake, this bloke is going to be influencing a concentrated group of young impressionable males, inside a closed and insular community that promotes them to the level of demi-gods, and pays them accordingly.

As for accomplishing nothing, maybe I will - but at least I'll be able to look others in the eye and say I BELIEVED in something and I stuck by it. If you don't agree with the regime, it is your responsibility to stand up and resist.

We must learn from history, otherwise we'll keep making the same mistakes.
Arges Tuft

Post by Arges Tuft »

Nutmeg wrote:This may sound overly-dramatic, but after a week of wrestling with inner demons (as regards my feminist leanings and 'solidarity with the sistas') I am, as of Wayne Carey's takinga position at Collingwood, unable to support this club until he is not there.

I have spent 22.5 eventful, sometimes blissful, mainly heartbreaking years being as passionate, fanatical and in love with the CFC as humanly possible, but it has now come to an end.

If we (women and men included) continue to overlook the behaviour of famous sportspeople towards women, women will never be truly equal. What this man did with Kelli Stephens is irrelevant - as has been stated in this thread, what took place was between two consenting adults, irrespective of what your moral standards are, they made a choice and had to deal with the consequences.

That woman that Carey grabbed all those years ago (amazing how soon we forget isn't it?) was never given a choice - she had her choice, her worth as a human being and her dignity taken from her by a man who believes he is god's gift to women, simply because he can chase a football around.
As a woman, or as a man who respects women, this behaviour cannot be tolerated and ignored - yet it is, every day and will continue to be ignored until people stand up and say ENOUGH is ENOUGH.

Fellow Collingwood supporters with whom I've discussed this issue, feel that my stance is too extreme - but this man has not only had his previous disgressions ignored, anyone who DARES to bring them up is now considered 'an hysterical female'.

So I'd like to bid you all a fond farewell - I will probably be missing some very fruitful years at the pies, but I am not of the kind that believes in winning at all costs. Allowing this man into the fold, it would be hypocritical of me to continue supporting them.
The cost will be my worth as a human being - those who have EVER had to deal with sexist discrimination, no matter how seemingly minor, can surely understand my sentiments?

See you at the Storm
So how do you feel about women who set about sleeping with footballers at any cost, knowing full well that the player is already in a relationship, has kids etc? Do you have a moral stance on that too?
Proud Pies

Post by Proud Pies »

Arges Tuft wrote:
Nutmeg wrote:This may sound overly-dramatic, but after a week of wrestling with inner demons (as regards my feminist leanings and 'solidarity with the sistas') I am, as of Wayne Carey's takinga position at Collingwood, unable to support this club until he is not there.

See you at the Storm
So how do you feel about women who set about sleeping with footballers at any cost, knowing full well that the player is already in a relationship, has kids etc? Do you have a moral stance on that too?
i do, and not just footballers, cricketers are included (Shane Warne) and any man already in a relationship. Personally doesn't say much for the male of the species if he sleeps with the female that goes out to get him does it?
Jacqui © Proud Pies 2003 and beyond
pie_girl_18

Post by pie_girl_18 »

Unless he can get out on the ground and kick goals for us, Dont see much point in paying him a forune to be down there when that money could be going towards finding and keeping good players at the club
Nutmeg

Post by Nutmeg »

So how do you feel about women who set about sleeping with footballers at any cost, knowing full well that the player is already in a relationship, has kids etc? Do you have a moral stance on that too?[/quote]

Absolutely - but again that is about CHOICES - the women that throw themselves at sportsmen have made a CHOICE to behave in a certain way, and in no way do I condone it. I find it incredible that any self-respecting woman would throw herself at a married man, simply because he's famous.

I'm not saying football/sportsmen groupies don't exist - they even exist at local footy club levels (i grew up in the country, believe me I know), and it can be an awkward situation for these men to deal with.
Some are just more mature than others than dealing with it - and although I think Shane Warne is a fantastic cricketer, he clearly has the morality of a pig and the maturity of a 14 year old male who's at the mercy of his adolescent body.
pie_girl_18

Post by pie_girl_18 »

Nutmeg I could not agree with you more, you go out to some places where footballers are known to be most saturday nights and the girls go crazy, as if they have never seen a guy before!! You could be standing there minding your own business and they come from the clouds to be standing next to one. But it is once again different for married footballers/sports stars because they know they are married and need to walk away, its easy enough for your everyday bloke to who gets up each morning goes to his 9 - 5 job then comes home to his family so why should be so hard for a celebrity??
pie_girl_18

Post by pie_girl_18 »

This is true Tess but any man worth the time of day would walk away and what celebs need to remember is they will 99.9% of the time get caught out aswell and all it does is disgrace thier wife & family.

So I agree spend the money on getting some decent players to kick goals not trying to make miracles out of the ones we have cause it just aint gunna happen, we need another foward and thats it.