#37 Sam Iles

Player President threads here thanks.

Moderator: bbmods

Johnson#26

Post by Johnson#26 »

Bet this is the first thread on a newbie to reach the ten page mark. Doubt even Rogan Josh, Daisy, Pendles, Bo Nixon, Richards or Dids would have attracted such a crowd.
Robert Walls (not really)

Post by Robert Walls (not really) »

Hows is this Sam Illes kid. He could be anything.
Piethagoras' Theorem
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Piethagoras' Theorem »

Johnson#26 wrote:Bet this is the first thread on a newbie to reach the ten page mark. Doubt even Rogan Josh, Daisy, Pendles, Bo Nixon, Richards or Dids would have attracted such a crowd.
Yeh, 5 of those pages have been written by one bloke! :x
Formally frankiboy and FrankieGoesToCollingwood.
john b

#37 Sam Iles

Post by john b »

Sam Iles (Profile)

Jumper no. 37

Age (D.O.B) 19 years 6 months (19/06/87)

Hieght: 189cm

Wieght: 80kg

Recruited From: Tassie Devils

Debut: Round 18 2006 (Adelaide @ Aami stadium).

Highlights: 16 disposals on debut.

A highly skilled player, Sam Iles was snapped up by Collingwood in the 2005 pre-season draft @ pick 2. Instead of opting for a recycled player the Pies chose Iles after impressing at pre season training November 05.

Mick Malthouse on Iles

'We think Sam will release players like Shaw, Johnson and Lockyer further up the ground. He did extremly well on Matthew Bode against the Crows, but then went back to Adelaide later and got touched up by Ebert (Port Adelaide small forward Brett). So this year was a big learning experience for him. But he wants to learn, and he understands it doesn't come easily. He's a beautiful user of the Football.

2006 Stats
K H D M T FF FA G B
Round 18 Adelaide 12 4 16 2 2 0 0 0 0
19 Essendon 7 4 11 2 1 0 1 0 0
20 Port Adel 4 3 7 5 2 0 0 0 0
21 Scum 2 3 5 1 1 0 0 0 0
Johnson#26

Post by Johnson#26 »

Top stuff, John. I'm a big fan of Sammy, stood up to the test under the heat in Adelaide.
john b

Post by john b »

Totally agree Johno he was fantastic that night against good opposition.

He is often forgoten about when we talk about our up and coming stars. He gives his all which is all we can ask as supporters.

I think he will suprise a few people next year.
ad4eva

Post by ad4eva »

i think next year should play a big part in whether or not sammy can be a long term prospect for collingwood, not a here and there julian rowe type guy that has the potential but just cant do it

hope he does well, however im not sure if he can get himself a regular spot in the side?
rocketronnie

Sam Iles?

Post by rocketronnie »

After watching Sam Iles last year in a few games I wasn't convinced - quite a few clangers, poor decision making, and poor disposal. His first half against the scum was like that too. However he did a few things in the second half that seemed better. Compared to some of the other youngsters coming through, he seems a bit behind them on a number of levels.

Where do other Nicksters rate him at the moment?

Cheers

Rocket Ronnie
"Only the weak believe that what they do in battle is who they are as men" - Thomas Marshall - "Ironclad".
RudeBoy
Been liked: 73 times

Post by RudeBoy »

Too early to say, but he hasn't convinced me yet either.
favourites 2008

Post by favourites 2008 »

Footballers are made over seasons (R.Shaw).. let him play before we go one way or the other.
HAL
Been liked: 3 times

Post by HAL »

If I have to choose one, I picklet him play we go one way.
lethal68

Post by lethal68 »

Yeah, a bit early to tell for sure - the kid is still young - but he doesn't quite look up to it, does her? No pace, skills average. Hope I'm provde wrong. Will go straight back to the 2s for Leon anyway.
"He is a loathsome brute, yet I cannot look away."
die4pies

Post by die4pies »

Aside from the Tasweagian connection, there is a lot of Paul Williams in Sam Iles. His Williamstown form warrants a chance on the big stage. Time will tell if he makes the most of it. Like Dick, Toovey and Cox he has been lucky to be part of great Collingwood come back and victory and that will do him the world of good. In saying that I really feel for Danny Nicholls, who tried as hard, if not harder than all of the debutants so far, but suffered at the hands of poor umpiring, in a hostile environment on a hiding to nothing.
"MAKE COLLINGWOOD GRATE AGAIN"
Pa Marmo

Post by Pa Marmo »

Iles was very clean by foot and done some excellent heavy work. There is a lot to like about this kid and his work rate alone will what gets him over the line.
Genesis 1:1
Magpie Since 1986

Post by Magpie Since 1986 »

Had a shocker, didn't look like he belonged, poor communication with team mates and a few times I saw him ball watching while his opponent got a break away. Needs more time at Williamstown.