Vale #1,#2,#3,#28 Captain Len Thompson

Player President threads here thanks.

Moderator: bbmods

John Wren

Post by John Wren »

what a shock, too young. condolences to len's family and friends.
floreat pica.
Purveyor of sanctimonious twaddle.
themilleys

Post by themilleys »

He had a heart attack at home today (source herald sun)
The Prototype

Post by The Prototype »

:( Very sad to hear, and I'm in shock, never got a chance to see him play but I have heard how good he was from people.

RIP Len Thompson.
fasta

Post by fasta »

Tannin

Post by Tannin »

A true great, Len will be sadly missed. Not just a champion footballer, a real straight shooter with a sort of honesty that shone through. Thommo was one of my first and best remembered heros.

Rest in peace, Len.
�Let's eat Grandma.� Commas save lives!
nulla

Post by nulla »

A legend A Champion and Collingwood through and through

Had the privelidge of watching him play his first game.

I thought I caught a glimpse of him at the G after the game when we played the Swans.

I am shocked and saddened.

Go Pies
I have a lazy eye and I think it is now spreading throughout the rest of my body
mandy

Post by mandy »

I was lucky enough to have met him a few times over the years at various functions and he always came across as a real gentleman with time to have a chat to anyone.

Very sad. :(
#TEAMBUCKS
#TEAMEDDIE
#TEAMCOLLINGWOOD
#SIDEBYSIDE
Trezegol

Post by Trezegol »

I can't believe it.

This is shocking news.
panga

Post by panga »

It is such a shock, remember not more than a week ago Len was talking to Josh pre-game v Sydney.
collingwood.. bowl them over
Magpie 42

Post by Magpie 42 »

Deepest sympathies to family and friends. Hope the boys manage to give just a little bit extra on Friday night.
Dark Lord

Post by Dark Lord »

Let's hope Josh has a blinder and leads the Pies to victory on Friday in honour of Len.
"There's an old saying in Tennessee, I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee, that says, fool me once, shame on... shame on you. Fool me... you can't get fooled again." - Oscar Wilde
PieClive

Post by PieClive »

Thanks for the great summary Fan4

And congrats to the mods for binning the Hal comments

RIP Len
Colin G Wood

Thommo

Post by Colin G Wood »

Very sad.

Always thought he was an unfairly maligned player.

The crap he copped for his stand with Tuddy was grossly unfair.

Also the stigma of being a failed grand finalist. If they had've started the Norm Smith medal two years earlier, he surely would have got one in 1977.

Later I loved hearing him speak on the ABC - his opinions were always worth listening to.

I have his book - its a great read!
jeff corfe

My mate Len R.I.P pal

Post by jeff corfe »

Eddie McGuire just rang to pass on the sad news Re the sudden death of Collingwood great Len Thompson.
I know another topic has been created but felt i had to in some way offer my personal tribute to Len who in the past couple of years had become a friend of my family.
We first met at Burbank oval to watch a Williamstown game and struck up a conversation, Laura his daughter is the same age as Emma so they too became friends.
I liked Len he was a quiet man who spoke what he thought and often would question me on our chats we had about different Collingwood players he was always pretty spot on with his opinions and views.

We invited Len for an interview at the Lexus Centre for the Collingwood Official Website he rocked up with his two girls, Len as shy as ever had broken out in a sweat. The interview went ahead and was terrific and at the time was enjoyed by all who read it on the Collingwood website.He spoke of the heartbreak re the 1970 Grand Final and how he and the rest of the players had let down the great Bobby Rose.

Many times Len would ring for a chat, once from a pub someplace with other ex players arguing over who wore what number...' joff Len Thompson can you tell me what number so and so wore, me and the other blokes cant agree' i'd get home go to my Collingwood books and promptly ring Len back'.

A great Collingwood man a great bloke who will be missed by many and really missed by me, i have a prized possesion, Len personally signed his book ' The Other Side Of The Medal'. something which i will cherish forever.
Thanks Len for the friendship to Laura and other family members we share your grief and sadness..we will never forget Len Thompson, Collingwood legend and a bloody nice bloke
R.I.P mate
joff and family.
Last edited by jeff corfe on Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
POMMY

Post by POMMY »

RIP
Condolences to Len's family and friends. May we stand united for Len friday night. :cry:
2010 PREMIERS!!!!!!!!