What made us 'Collingwood people'? - Add your story

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

On the March
Been liked: 1 time

Post by On the March »

Hi all

What an interesting time for this topic to emerge again.

My story is our family migrated from Scotland in 1965. I was seven years old and was born when Collingwood won the 1958 grannie. We settled in Geelong. I have two brothers who are both passionate Geelong supporters. I spent a lot of time as a kid watching Geelong play at Kardinia park with guys like Doug Wade, David Clarke, Sam Newman, Ken Newland, Billy Ryan and Gareth Andrews. However I was shown the light very early by my friend Kevin M. who barracked for the pies. Its an interesting experience barracking for the pies in Geelong!
I'm sure at one stage they considered renaming the Geelong Advertiser the Geelong Abbletiser!
Anyway my earliest memories are of a Collingwood side rich in talent but without luck - McKenna, Richardsons, Price, Jenkin, Tuddenham, Thompson, Dunne ..and the list goes on. However my favourite all time player was Greening. People just dont understand how talented he was. Yes Magpie Greg I was at that match against Geelong in 1972. I wasnt at the 1970 grannie but I am always reminded by the family about that year and the tears that flowed when we got beat.
I have also been to every Grand Final we played in since 1977 except for one - yup 1990. Yes I'm a tortured soul.
However the pies have brought me lots of joy over the years as well - something I'm now passing onto the next generation through my oldest daughter who is mad keen on the pies as well. We both went to the 2002/03 grannies together. She does have a bit of a giggle when I get a tear in my eye as the teams line up on ANZAC day - such a great day in Australian culture.

I'm actually turning 50 this week and thats bringing back lots of memories - many about the great and not so great times about barracking for Collingwood. Carman, Daicos, Moore, Wearmouth, Shaw, Millane, Buckley, Clement, Licuria - they were all great. This sides not bad and the future looks bright. I nearly wet my pants every time a neon leon or Dids or Medders or... gets the ball in a tight spot on the boundary with no hope of kicking a goal and sure enough through it goes. And the Ponnie is cheering long before the ball goes through!

Its always interesting in our neighbourhood when the pies play the cats and nothing would be better than to beat them tomorrow night - and yes I'll be there!

Go pies!

Floreat Pica
Magpie Girl

Post by Magpie Girl »

Well....
My mother's side of the family were never into AFL, being from Germany, so when she married my father she didn't have any idea what she was getting herself into...
My Dad's side of the family were very much into AFL, being from Victoria. My Grandfather made it into the Collingwood reserves side in 1953 where he played about 13 or so games. But I believe he left after the first year because he was home sick as he was living a fair way from his young family.
My Dad was bought up as a Collingwood supporter as were his family so it was only natural for him to pass that onto his family. Although, at a young age, I was more interested in playing with dolls that watching footy, but Dad persisted with it. My sister & I played Auskick in 2001, now those were some fun times!! I vaguely knew about Collingwood but never really followed them. I did say I was a Brisbane Supporter once upon a time, my first game was Brisbane Vs Port where I got to play on the Gabba at half time.
Then I drifted across to Collingwood around 2002, & I've never looked back!
I've only seen the Pies play live 3 times, in 2004, 2007 & 2008. Never met any players, but was desperate to meet them in Brissy this year.... but the less said about that afternoon/evening the better. :( Still hoping to meet some in the future.....

Always loved Nathan Buckley, had a look back over some old Auskick books & I noticed that on the Pic of NB I circled his head & wrote "My Idol". Has always been my favourite, he was my hero, & will be my all time favourite.

Now growing up in this rugby obsessed state, it's a pain in the @rse! But my love for this great club will never die, it's only just beginning & I'm learning new stuff everyday. The support & passion grows more everyday......

I LOVE COLLINGWOOD!!!!!
"Everyone has their story and mine is unique, but I'm definitely trying to use that to help as many people as I can." - Heritier O'Brien ( 7/7/08 )
Harry, you're a champ!
HAL
Been liked: 3 times

Post by HAL »

Loving how?
John Wren

Re: What makes it for me!

Post by John Wren »

Hiss wrote: Should have seen me after the 1981 GF. Coming home on the tram that same night a woman innocently pushed me to get past. I asked whether she was a Carlton fan to which she responded no a Collingwood fan. I offered to help her off and carry her bag. She politely declined offering to help me instead 'soba up' or she would drop me. She is now my wife.
who needing sobering up? :lol: great story.
Purveyor of sanctimonious twaddle.
Leggie
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Leggie »

Well Ive been a Collingwood Supporter since I was about 6 years old. (Im 40 now). Now its not like I remember this episode or much at all when I was 6 years old. I actually have trouble remembering what I did last night. Anyway this was relayed to me by my old man (And he still kicks himself)

The old man was a Carlton supporter and there was a good old fashioned Carlton V Collingwood game.

Apparently I jumped up on the lounge and asked about the game. Dad explained very politely that Carlton and Collingwood were traditional emenies. He suggested for fun that I barrack for Collingwood while the old boy stuck with the Blues.

And that was that. Instant Pies supporter.

Now apparently Carlton won on the day by about 6 or 7 goals but like I said. The old boy still kicks himself for even suggesting I cheer for the OTHER club.

Thanks Dad! Your a bloody Gem.

It actually got worse when we moved over to the west and the eagles formed years later. The old boy jumped ship and supports them. Gotta laugh.
Bring Back Tranquilli
Captain_MyCaptain

Post by Captain_MyCaptain »

COLLINGWOOD - MY STORY - MY CLUB

Collingwood was always going to be my club, little did I know.

I was born in 64' a Magpie year, losing to the toffs by a few points of course. How appropriate!
I grew up in Gippsland, down Pendles way, about an hour from Sale.
When I was about 7 or 8 a cousin of mine who is about 15 years older than me, paid us a visit and brought with him a Collingwood guernsey.
It was a present for me, and boy was I rapt! However, there was one thing not quite right with that guernsey, it had long sleeves!
No way was I gonna wear the 'black n white' in long sleeves, so I promptly raided mum's sewing kit, grabbed 'the big scissors' and immediately cut the sleeves off! Was I in trouble? Of course not, so long as I promised my cousin I'd barrack for the Pies.
At first I did, but we just didn't seem to do very well and all my mates either barracked for the Scum, the Filth, or Bitchmond, and when we finished last in 76'
I thought, 'that's it, enough of this' I'm gonna have to break my promise and barrack for someone else. I wasn't gonna barrack for a bunch of losers!
Enter Tom Hafey and the Pies were back, and so was I. I will always remember 77'. The draw, the replay. The agony!

About the same time, I also learnt that my grandmother's surname was Coventry. I couldn't believe it. I had Magpie blood in me and I wasn't told! Why not?
I guess mum thought it wouldn't mean much to me. After all I was only young and mum didn't follow footy at all.
Furthermore, when we came to Melbourne we stayed with my Nanna in Collingwood. Where in Collingwood you may ask? 145 Easy St. Look it up.
A place I'll never forget. She lived a Daicos torpedo punt from Victoria Park! I couldn't believe it.
Those days when the Pies won it was drinks all round, but when they lost it was goodbye Nanna's letterbox.
Furious Pie supporters would give it a good smashing as they walked home. Wasn't you was it Joff? Just kiddin mate.
From then on I went to as many games as I could and loved every one. Well, almost every one.

So that's my story in a nutshell. Many great memories along with quite a few painful one's. Such is footy huh.

Collingwood, my story, my club!
The window is open my friend!
RudeBoy
Been liked: 73 times

Post by RudeBoy »

Four generations of my family born and bred in Collingwood, so I didn't have a choice. When I was born my Auntie placed a photo of the Collingwood team in my crib at the hospital with a note on the back reading "we're expecting big things from this boy". Talk about great expectations.
jeff corfe

Post by jeff corfe »

RudeBoy wrote:Four generations of my family born and bred in Collingwood, so I didn't have a choice. When I was born my Auntie placed a photo of the Collingwood team in my crib at the hospital with a note on the back reading "we're expecting big things from this boy". Talk about great expectations.
Dont be too hard on yourself Bruce these days you resemble the great Phil manassa :wink: 8) :lol:
John Wren

Post by John Wren »

for me it was going to be carlton or collingwood depending on which grandparent was able to exert the most influence. my mum's father (carlton) lost out because he did not impose his will on me. it also so happened that i saw my collingwood grandparents more than the others and so they would take my bro and me to the footy more often.

growing up in the 70s has ensured i've had my fair share of heartache but it also went a long way to shaping me and teaching me to cope with life's ups and downs. grand finals were like groundhog day, bittersweet memories of going to the show on the saturday morning, all the fun of the fair only to be totally dispirited and despondent by the late afternoon.

that got all too much for my bro - especially when peter moore left - who abandoned ship and follows essendon. he swapped from wanitng to be peter moore for timmy watson. he was very nearly disowned and certainly not forgiven by my collingwood grandparents. the other grandparents had a quiet chuckle and were pleased for the fact he had made the switch of his own volition.

having been overseas for the last 14 odd years i have really enjoyed being able to have some involvement with the club and been able to contribute in some small way. i couldn't imagine what it'd be like to support another club, maybe i can, but i don't know any other way.

we have the greatest club playing the greatest game of all. aussie rules should be the known as the game they play in heaven.
Purveyor of sanctimonious twaddle.
luvdids

Post by luvdids »

Confession time.

I'm 34 years old. The majority of my years have been wasted barracking for........ Carlton :(
It happened like this. I'm from a family of 5, older sister, younger brother, and me the girl in the middle. Dad, brother and sister are Collingwood. Mum is Carlton. I assume that I felt sorry for Mum being on her own so decided to follow Carlton. The only games I ever went to were Carlton v Collingwood as Dad wouldn't take me to a Carlton game unless his Pies were playing. I'd go, Carlton would usually win, and to be honest, I didn't really care. If Collingwood won, I'd be quietly pleased oon the inside, not letting the family know I was actually glad they'd won. I can remember even getting tingles down my spine during one Collingwood win. No one ever knew though, because being Carlton I had to hate Collingwood.
I couldn't even tell you who the captain of Carlton was, or name 5 of their players.
Then a few years ago, my brother and I were at Mum's and he was talking about the footy and said to me "who's got the biggest balls in the Collingwood side" and my first answer was Woewodin, which is who he was talking about. He was shocked that I knew his answer, as was I. It was then that I looked at Mum across the table from me and said "Sorry Mum, you're on your own. I barrack for Collingwood" I got shivers down my spine saying those words - I barrack for Collingwood - it felt so right, I'd been wanting to say it for years.
That was in Woewodin's second year at Collingwood (would be grateful if someone could tell me what year that was) and I have never looked back.
I finally saw the 'black & white light' as I call it, and realised I have black and white blood running through my veins.
I am now a member of this great club, would never have considered being a member of Carlscum! And go to every game that's on when I'm not working. I used to hate footy season coz it was so boring (even when Carlscum were doing well, I wasn't interested). Now, I can't wait for it to come around!! Can't believe there's only 13 rounds to go before it's all over again and then the long wait to next year. (not counting the finals that we'll be part of).
If I mention to anyone now that I used to barrack for Carlton they absolutely can not believe it because they only know me as a passionate Pies girl!!!
So there you have it. I am a passionate, proud and loving member of this great club..... at last!!!
ANNODAM
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by ANNODAM »

Growing up in the western suburbs of Melb. around the corner from that shit hole they call Western Oval, there wasn't a team I hated more than those bottom of the ladder scraggers of Footscrapy! More so than Carlton, even to this very day!

My family weren't a footy family being wogs, they could think of nothing worse than wasting their hard earned money on the footy.

Going to school, of course kids would ask who you barrack for. I would've been about 7 or 8 when I began hanging around 2 girls, one was a HAW supporter, the other NM. They used to come to school in the Winter with their scarves & shit. When they asked me who I liked, I didn't have a team. I didn't like the colours of HAW or NM, so definitely knew those 2 teams were not for me.

I had a look at the teams & their colours one day & was kinda drawn towards the black & white. No particular reason, had no idea about the history, the GF appearances & so forth. I convinced my younger brother to also barrack for COLL, but that was shortlived, as he grew older, he ended up going for FITZ. Now to my disgust, he has swung allegiance & has decided to go for those flea ridden mutts. I think living in the western suburbs near Coode Island has frazzled his brain somewhat!

Parents still had no interest in footy, although the old man kinda sways towards ESS. My cousins on the other hand, most go for the Pies except for a couple who I don't consider worthy relations anyways.

I met my husband at the footy, we're both COLL, daughter is COLL & even our Basenjis wear COLL collars.

I always said I would never brainwash any of my kids & give them the freedom of choice when it came to the footy (just as I had) but my daughter seems to like COLL. So COLL it is!
WE WERE ROBBED, RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME, RIGHT IN FRONT OF MEEE!

N.Y METS, N.Y GIANTS, PENRITH PANTHERS & HOBART HURRICANES FAN.

WE ALL LOOK GOOD AT TRAINING, IT'S THE MATCHES THAT COUNT!
RudeBoy
Been liked: 73 times

Post by RudeBoy »

joffa corfe wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:Four generations of my family born and bred in Collingwood, so I didn't have a choice. When I was born my Auntie placed a photo of the Collingwood team in my crib at the hospital with a note on the back reading "we're expecting big things from this boy". Talk about great expectations.
Dont be too hard on yourself Bruce these days you resemble the great Phil manassa :wink: 8) :lol:
I'm not sure that's a complement Joff. Have you seen Phil lately? He's not a pretty sight let me tell you!
handy point

Post by handy point »

Warwick Capper
Greg Williams
Geoffrey Edelsten.

Three reasons why I'm a Collingwood fan.
Semi-coherent Pie thoughts @ http://floreatpica.com
Captain_MyCaptain

Post by Captain_MyCaptain »

Great thread. Well done to all those who have contributed.
Make it a sticky I say.
Go Pies.
The window is open my friend!
spoljar

Post by spoljar »

I was born in 1975 and brought up in Brunswick in the late 70's early 80's. My mum was the one that made me a Collingwood supporter and half of Brunswick at that time were Collingwood Supporters including the neighbours on both sides of us.

I used to love watching about 10 boys that were a little older than me all wearing their Collingwood jumpers and playing footy in our street each weekend. Every weekend I would ask them if Collingwood had won and one boy in particular would wink at me and nod his head. Naturally I didn't really appreciate at the time that we were going through the great Hafey era.

That's pretty much how my love affair and frustration with this great club started and has continued.