Vale / in Memorium

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

Collingwood 4 eternity

Post by Collingwood 4 eternity »

In years to come, when you sit and watch replays of footy games from 2002-2007 you will appreciate how good a caller of AFL that Clinton Grybas was. His versatility in commentating on many sports defined him and set him apart from his peers.

The passion, enthusiasm, accuracy and emotion in his voice will transport you back to this period of your life.

Just like when your parents hear on radio, music ,a song or an event ,their emotions will take them back to how they felt when they first heard it sung or described.
eg first date, kiss or memories of people you were with that you had long forgotten about or that have passed on.

When we watch the 1990 Grand Final and the siren sounds our emotions transport us back to that point in our life,how we felt who we were with, where we were. Sandy Roberts saying "The drought is OVER". The emotion, It goes through me every time i watch it.

It's a shame we didn't get 6 more points in the PF and have the emotion of Clinton Grybas potentionaly calling a Collingwood Premiership. A Pies man to describe and define an historic moment for this club,sadly he won't get that chance. RIP Clinton
1990 Grand Final :
"From the back pocket, this will be probably the last kick, he need not even kick it, the drought is over. 32 years they've waited, let the celebrations begin" Sandy Roberts
favourites 2008

Post by favourites 2008 »

Never forget that water polo match he commentated, what an amazing finish and he captured it so wonderfully well. Similar the 02 GF, he mustve been hurting like us but he never let the viewer know. One of a kind, lost so young, lets hope his family friends ect can work through this as the loss for them is more important to the loss to us.
BabyBry

Post by BabyBry »

Collingwood 4 eternity wrote:In years to come, when you sit and watch replays of footy games from 2002-2007 you will appreciate how good a caller of AFL that Clinton Grybas was. His versatility in commentating on many sports defined him and set him apart from his peers.

The passion, enthusiasm, accuracy and emotion in his voice will transport you back to this period of your life.

It's a shame we didn't get 6 more points in the PF and have the emotion of Clinton Grybas potentionaly calling a Collingwood Premiership. A Pies man to describe and define an historic moment for this club,sadly he won't get that chance. RIP Clinton
Yes, it sure would have been better than listening to Anthony Hudson call that Geelong Premiership. Or strike me down for even suggesting it..Quarterbrain calling a Dawks one..

God Bless you and may you rest in peace Clinton.
Zakal

Post by Zakal »

BabyBry wrote:
Collingwood 4 eternity wrote:In years to come, when you sit and watch replays of footy games from 2002-2007 you will appreciate how good a caller of AFL that Clinton Grybas was. His versatility in commentating on many sports defined him and set him apart from his peers.

Yes, it sure would have been better than listening to Anthony Hudson call that Geelong Premiership. Or strike me down for even suggesting it..Quarterbrain calling a Dawks one..

God Bless you and may you rest in peace Clinton.

Im afraid none of those examples would compare, in terms of sheer horror, to those Channel 10 morons Lane, Walls and Maher calling a Carlton one.

Lucky the only thing Carlton is capable of winning these days is a Wooden Spoon or we'd really be in for it.
John Wren

Post by John Wren »

http://www.theage.com.au/news/Geoff-McC ... 57736.html

Barrack? My word we do

Eddie McGuire might have black and white blood running through every vein in his body but we would be kidding ourselves if we thought he is the only footy commentator who has a love for a particular club.

Yes, we hear your "But Eddie is more than a footy fan, he's a club president, for gawd's sake", but the topic of which media person supports whom, and with what degree of passion, is an interesting exercise nonetheless.

And while some of them, notably those who played the game - people such as Dermott Brereton (mostly Hawthorn), Rex Hunt (mostly Richmond), Garry Lyon (Melbourne), Michael Christian (Collingwood), Stephen Silvagni (Carlton) and Brian Taylor (mostly Collingwood) are easy to pick, many of the non-former player types are not.

Tim Lane is one exception because he has made no secret of his love of the Blues but how about his fellow Ten commentators, Anthony Hudson and Stephen Quartermain, or Nine's Dennis Cometti, or Fox Footy's (and 3AW's) Clinton Grybas or the ABC's Dan Lonergan and Drew Morphett?

Armed with our fan feral meter (of zero to 10), today we sneak through a back door of footy's media box to find out who the commentators support and how hard it must be for them to keep their emotions intact during the course of a game.

DENNIS COMETTI (Nine): "There's only one team I support - West Perth," he said. "I guess I have a soft spot for Melbourne because I barracked for them as a kid, but I also care a little bit for Western Bulldogs (with whom he played seconds footy) and Fremantle. But Melbourne, I guess." Melbourne Feral rating 1

TIM LANE (Ten): Lifetime and unashamedly Blues fan. Carlton Feral rating 7.5

ANTHONY HUDSON (Ten): Always barracked for Geelong. Geelong Feral rating 7.5

STEPHEN QUARTERMAIN (Ten): Strong passion for Hawthorn. Hawthorn Feral rating 7.5

CLINTON GRYBAS (Fox Footy and 3AW): "Passionate Pies supporter although I hope it never shows." Collingwood Feral rating 6

MATTHEW CAMPBELL (Fox Footy): Still follows Brisbane, the team he played for. Brisbane Lions Feral rating 5

JASON BENNETT (Fox Footy): Passionate Blues man. Carlton Feral rating 7.5

DREW MORPHETT (ABC): Grew up as a rugby league fan with a passion for St George but the only thing he has ever barracked for in the AFL is "a good game". No club Feral rating 0

GERARD WHATELEY (ABC): A Geelong supporter "with a reasonable amount of enthusiasm" (read mad fan). Geelong Feral rating 7.5

DAN LONERGAN (ABC): Passionate and lifetime supporter of the Western Bulldogs. Western Bulldogs Feral rating 7.5

ROB WATERS (ABC): Wears a black and white beanie when nobody is looking. Collingwood Feral rating 7

TONY LEONARD (3AW): Rarely misses a Doggies game when he is not calling footy. Western Bulldogs Feral rating 7.5

ROBERT WALLS (The Age, 10, 3AW): The former Blues champion went on to be involved with four clubs in all but still has "a soft spot for the Blues but I don't lose an ounce of sleep if they lose". Carlton Feral rating 4

CAROLINE WILSON (The Age): Has been an avid Richmond fan all her life. Not that it shows. Well, not according to the Tigers, anyway. Richmond Feral rating 6

ROHAN CONNOLLY (The Age). Wore Tim Watson's No. 32 on his back as a kid and has been an enamoured Bombers' fan ever since. Essendon Feral rating 8.5

JAKE NIALL (The Age): Keen Collingwood man but insists he loves footy first, the Pies second. Collingwood Feral rating 5

STEVE RIELLY: (The Age): Keen but not passionate Essendon man. Interestingly, one of six Age football writers with a yearning for red and black. Essendon Feral rating 4

MIKE SHEAHAN (Herald Sun): Maintains he has never barracked for any one club but we suspect he has a soft spot for Melbourne. Feral rating 0.5

TREVOR GRANT (Herald Sun): Grew up as a Magpie supporter and remains one today. Collingwood. Collingwood Feral rating 6
Purveyor of sanctimonious twaddle.
Zakal

Post by Zakal »

hehe nice article...although Walls at only 4 is a bit rich. Just because he says he doesnt lose any sleep if they lose, doesnt mean he's not talking crap.

and as for Shite Mike....how can you grow up not supporting anyone? (Morphett's situation is understandable...Mike's isnt)....verdict? Full of crap.
John Wren

Cancer claims genial North giant

Post by John Wren »

in a bygone era where there were characters all over the park, this fella stood out ...
The Age wrote:MICK Nolan, a genial giant who became one of the most popular players in the history of the North Melbourne Football Club, died in Brisbane last night after a short battle with pancreatic cancer. He was 59.

Nolan was a ruckman who had an unusual combination of bulk and subtlety. With a playing weight of more than 120 kilograms, his stomach hung over his shorts. But his deft tapwork to rover Barry Cable played a significant part in the success of the glamorous teams at Arden Street in the 1970s.

Nolan's appeal was his lack of glamour. He was earthy and smiling, and lumbered with good grace his nickname "the Galloping Gasometer". The nickname was derived from the gasometer that stood across the road from the North Melbourne footy ground.
http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/c ... 37445.html
Purveyor of sanctimonious twaddle.
BHPIE

Post by BHPIE »

He is from an era when footballers were footballers,its a shame he has gone, a great character who will be sadly missed.
spoljar

Post by spoljar »

Unfortunately, the AFL, Media and Supporters alike, don't allow characters and personality in the game anymore.

May he R.I.P.
MACDAICOS

Post by MACDAICOS »

R.I.P Big fella :(
************ANTI SIG************
Northern Pie

Post by Northern Pie »

One of the nicest Guys I have ever met...I met him when he first moved up to Brisbane...He coached Coorparoo and I was in under 9's...he introduced himself to my dad and then to me, when he said his name was Mick Nolan...I replied "you got the same name as that mongrel from North Melbourne!" which was pretty bold for an 8 year old considering he pretty much could have eaten me whole!, he was huge!

A lovely bloke, a real character and a man who always had time to show a young bloke like me how to kick a footy! Will be sadly missed

RIP Mick, my sympathy to your family....gone too young!

Cheers
nulla

Post by nulla »

I had met big Mick a few times

He has a couple of sons playing for Heidelberg
A real gentleman now gone

RIP to the Galloping Gasometer.
I have a lazy eye and I think it is now spreading throughout the rest of my body
Magpie_Dan

Post by Magpie_Dan »

What a nickname, THE GALLOPING GASOMETER. I can only imagine how he got that name. RIP Mick, condolences to hes family!!!
SteveH67

Post by SteveH67 »

[quote="Magpie_Dan"]What a nickname, THE GALLOPING GASOMETER. I can only imagine how he got that name. RIP Mick, condolences to hes family!!![/quote]

I am pretty sure, Lou Richards created that one for him. Much like the
Social club member 7342 since 2000.
MACDAICOS

Post by MACDAICOS »

Next to North Melbournes old home ground in Arden St there used to be this massive Gasworks factory and because of the massive build of Mick Nolan, Lou Richard nicknamed him the 'Galloping Gasometer'

When coach Ron Barrassi first arrived at North Melbourne in 1973 he asked Ron Joseph "Who's that fat bastard his not playing in my side "?

2 years later Nolan was Ruckman in North Melbournes first premiership side in 1975, when the siren rang and North had won Barrassi leaped from the interchange bench ran directly past legends such as Malcom Blight and Keith Grieg to sort out Nolan to embrace him! He loved the big fella because he had no natural ability but worked so hard to get the best out of himself.

:D
************ANTI SIG************