What made us 'Collingwood people'? - Add your story

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Daicos Mullets

Post by Daicos Mullets »

My parents were English, so had no interest in footy. When I was about 5, my sister convinced me to barrack for Collingwood (she's a Geelong supporter) because some boy she liked at school barracked for the Pies. The local footy club in the country town where I grew up were the Magpies too. It just stuck from there. I couldn't imagine being anything other than Pies fan.
Swan is down, Swan kicks the goal! And everything here will be a Magpie celebration!

3RRR

The Pies are back at Vic Park!
kambarker

Post by kambarker »

My parents came from Austria to escape the Holocaust...........they knew only Soccer.
We lived in Glen Iris........there were only 2 families in the neighbourhood who were migrant families. I was born here after the war and our nearest neighbours knitted me a black and white scarf and beanie and took me regularly to Vic Park to introduce me to footy and make me a True Aussie!!!
Collingwood became my team by default. We were then great rivals of Barassi s Demons!!!
My husband came from Sydney and played Rugby Union for NSW and VIc. He quickly fell in love with our game and supported My team!!
My children both are Pie supporters. My son says that to be a Pie member is really character building !!
However, My daughter married and ardent Blues barracker and at the moment lives in New York. My NY grandchildren are being told there is one great team, Collingwood and wear Daisy's name and No on their jumpers. However they are also being told that Juddy is the strongest player in the AFL. It didnt help that the Blues beat us a few weeks ago.??
When they visit Melbourne I always take them to a Pies game.

We can only hope that they see the light ( in B & W ) when they came back to Melbourne to live!!!!!!!
kam
punkologist

Post by punkologist »

can't remember whether i have already posted in this one and I can't find my post so here goes...

My dad's entire side of the family are Collingwood and with very good reason. My Nanna's cousins were the great Collier brothers.

There was never really any thought of supporting another team. We are very proud of our heritage. Collingwood is a major part of our family.
kambarker

Post by kambarker »

punkologist wrote:can't remember whether i have already posted in this one and I can't find my post so here goes...

My dad's entire side of the family are Collingwood and with very good reason. My Nanna's cousins were the great Collier brothers.

There was never really any thought of supporting another team. We are very proud of our heritage. Collingwood is a major part of our family.
What a co-incidence ..........I met a member of the Collier family last night at an engagement party!!
kam
die4pies

Post by die4pies »

kambarker wrote:
punkologist wrote:can't remember whether i have already posted in this one and I can't find my post so here goes...

What a co-incidence ..........I met a member of the Collier family last night at an engagement party!!
That is one huge family too. Both Leater and Harry played footy to help support their family of 10 through the depression.

The need to survive during diabolically hard times also help drive the brothers to be successful. Harry won an incredible 193 of his 253 games and Albert won 163 of his 217 games including six premierships and playing in more finals than most of us have had hot dinners. Yet the AFL could not find a place for them or their captain Syd and his 1299 goal kicking brother Nuts in the team of the Century.

Names don't come much bigger at Collingwood then Collier.
"MAKE COLLINGWOOD GRATE AGAIN"
luvdids

Post by luvdids »

still a good read :) Just needed to bump it.
TheGreatDane

Post by TheGreatDane »

My parents are both of Italian decent and came here for a better life.
My dad, for the short time he was in Italy was a Juventus supporter. They also wear the famous black and white stripes, so it was only natural for him to go for the Pies. He was a die hard supporter who used to go rain, hail, or shine, he even went to a few grand finals that the Pies took no part in, in the 70's. He has now lost his passion as he believes the game has changed for the worste, but he secretly still gets extremely upset when we lose or play badly sitting on his recliner at home. I have now taken over the reigns with the die hard attitude and I intend to pass on that attitude to my kids...One Eyed Til I Die
JacJacJacqui

Post by JacJacJacqui »

My parents aren't really into footy so they didn't push their team onto me (thank goodness because they're Carlton supporters - EW!). I started with the Pies at about 6 or 7 years old because my best mates Dad barracked for them so I thought they must be alright. Strangely enough. It was also the year they last won a premiership. :cry:

Pirate skulls and bones
Sticks and stones and weed and bombs
Running when we hit 'em
Lethal poison through their system
luvdids

Post by luvdids »

TheGreatDane wrote: My dad, for the short time he was in Italy was a Juventus supporter. They also wear the famous black and white stripes, so it was only natural for him to go for the Pies.
Friend of mine is Swiss and he follows the Pies for the same reason, came here couple years ago, realised pretty quickly he'd better follow AFL or he'd never fit in and went for the black & white stripes that Juventus had.
crass

Post by crass »

my old man got of the boat from cyprus on the 2/2/1952 and moved into a house across the street from the retreat hotel in nicholson st...
two good torps from viccy park.
me i was born in carlton then taken home to campbell st in collingwood.

how could i not love gods own football club?

am so glad the old man made the move....
collingwood tech boy
Tanks1966

Post by Tanks1966 »

I lived in middlke Footscray, just 300 meteres from whitten oval. I was barred from following them becouse of my Croatian heratige - there colors depicted teh Serbian flag - blue, white red from top to down.
If the colors were red white and blue at that point dad would approve. Anyway I used to go at 3/4 time (Gates opened for free)at whitten oval and barrack for the opposing team. Mum got a new job around the time I was 9 (1975), her new manager / boss was a crazy Collingwood suporter and took me to my first ever game at Vic Park. I was in awe of the place, so much better than going to whitten oval and barracking for the team against the dogs. I felt absolutley at home at Vic Park. It was awesome. I stood in the outer on cans of beer (made of steel in those days). I just loved the black and white.
As with Joffa we were poorish people, but mum knitted me a collingwood jumper (she stuffed up the strip in the middle thoug lol). When I got my first collingwood jumper I would wear it inside out. I demanded to play local footy only for Parkside (becouse they were the magpies as well). I still have both jumpers and they have been passed on through my nephews and soon my kids.
I became a full blown member in 1979 and never ceased being one. Its like a religion, lovem win loose or draw. As they say, I have black and white blood!
Go Pies - I was there in 1977, 1979, 1990, 2003, 2010, 2011, 2018
MACDAICOS

Post by MACDAICOS »

Great story 8)
Last edited by MACDAICOS on Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
************ANTI SIG************
Buttsy-Bells

thats my girl !!

Post by Buttsy-Bells »

luvdids wrote:Confession time.

I'm 34 years old. The majority of my years have been wasted barracking for........ Carlton :(
It happened like this. I'm from a family of 5, older sister, younger brother, and me the girl in the middle. Dad, brother and sister are Collingwood. Mum is Carlton. I assume that I felt sorry for Mum being on her own so decided to follow Carlton. The only games I ever went to were Carlton v Collingwood as Dad wouldn't take me to a Carlton game unless his Pies were playing. I'd go, Carlton would usually win, and to be honest, I didn't really care. If Collingwood won, I'd be quietly pleased oon the inside, not letting the family know I was actually glad they'd won. I can remember even getting tingles down my spine during one Collingwood win. No one ever knew though, because being Carlton I had to hate Collingwood.
I couldn't even tell you who the captain of Carlton was, or name 5 of their players.
Then a few years ago, my brother and I were at Mum's and he was talking about the footy and said to me "who's got the biggest balls in the Collingwood side" and my first answer was Woewodin, which is who he was talking about. He was shocked that I knew his answer, as was I. It was then that I looked at Mum across the table from me and said "Sorry Mum, you're on your own. I barrack for Collingwood" I got shivers down my spine saying those words - I barrack for Collingwood - it felt so right, I'd been wanting to say it for years.
That was in Woewodin's second year at Collingwood (would be grateful if someone could tell me what year that was) and I have never looked back.
I finally saw the 'black & white light' as I call it, and realised I have black and white blood running through my veins.
I am now a member of this great club, would never have considered being a member of Carlscum! And go to every game that's on when I'm not working. I used to hate footy season coz it was so boring (even when Carlscum were doing well, I wasn't interested). Now, I can't wait for it to come around!! Can't believe there's only 13 rounds to go before it's all over again and then the long wait to next year. (not counting the finals that we'll be part of).
If I mention to anyone now that I used to barrack for Carlton they absolutely can not believe it because they only know me as a passionate Pies girl!!!
So there you have it. I am a passionate, proud and loving member of this great club..... at last!!!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
MACDAICOS

Post by MACDAICOS »

My story is quite unique, I was born in the town of 'Merthyr Tydfil' a industrial town in Wales to a Welsh father and Australian mother.

Mum grew up in magpie heartland in Reservoir where it seemed the entire suburb barracked for Collingwood and if you didnt you were treated like a outcast.

Anyway Mum got the travel bug travelled to the UK met my father then I came along etc etc, While her entire life had changed with life in Wales mum would still ring home every Saturday night to see how her Magpies had gone, my grandparents used to send newspaper clippings from Australia of famous wins (remember this was before the days of the VCR) eventully they would send clothes, beanies & scarfes to me which i would wear with pride & joy, much to the confusion of this 'rugby' mad nation.

One famous photo at home i am wearing a 'I AM A ONE EYED COLLINGWOOD SUPPORTER" t shirt at prep school in Wales (gotta love it)

Anyway Mum got sick of the cold winters packed up everything after 10 years abroad and before I knew it my father and I where in Australia, we arrived on the 1st of May 1986 just 2 days later on the 3rd of May i was at the MCG watching Collingwood V Melbourne with my entire family, Collingwood won by 38 points and i was hooked for life and still am.

Between 1986 - 1997 with my entire family we would go to every Melbourne match without fail, we even would travel to 1 interstate game a year we would rotate Perth, Brisbane, Sydney, Adelaide and start over again, I must admit they were the best days of my life! I was only 10 in 1990 and i'm proud to say i was there, at the time I couldnt understand why my uncles and auntys were in tears, but now I understand the releif it must have been for all of them, i'll never forget it i remember it like it was yesterday.

Unfortunately due to my own football commitments of senior football on Saturdays Collingwood took a backward step, but I still went to all the Friday night & Sunday games.

I finished playing football a couple of years ago due to a nasty injury another washed up couldabeen! On the postive though i can now watch Collingwood again, i love it just like I did on that May day in 1986, as our train approaches Jolimont i still get those butterflies in the stomach, a win and there is not a happier bloke in the world! A loss and your gutted until at least the Wednesday but by then you know deep down you will see those black & white stripes run out that coming weekend and all will be forgotten.

There is no better sight in football than seeing 22 men in black & white stripes.

The Collingwood F.C will always play a massive part of my life, always has always will, like many of you I have my family to thank.

Thank-you.
************ANTI SIG************
wimmey

Post by wimmey »

I was born in 1964 and by 1969 my grandfather was taking me to Vic park every second weekend, dropping me off with the cheer squad and then going to the social club. After the game he would come back and get me. I was the first born grandchild and all the women in my family are footscray supporters (he wasnt having a bar of that) except for me and now my daughter and soon to be her daughter. I miss my poppy and thank god for all he gave me especially the magpie obsession.
when your team runs out or they kick a goal hows the mighty roar!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!