#2 Jordan De Goey

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

piedys
Has liked: 291 times
Been liked: 75 times

Post by piedys »

Last edited by piedys on Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
M I L L A N E 4 2 forever
September Zeros

Post by September Zeros »

No Pressure, No Diamonds

They used to be a happy team at hawthorn.
Been liked: 3 times

Post by swoop42 »

While I don't necessarily disagree with the clubs sanctions of last season against de Goey we might have set a dangerous precedent of how we punish our players for indiscretions and with a President big on positive PR measures I doubt we'll see the club make the bold move of handing down a sanction not in line with what we saw last year.

I think as a club we need to ask ourselves 3 things before we decide de Goeys fate.

1. Are we making our decision based on what's best for the future of de Goey and by extension our club culture or because we want to look like we are doing the right thing by the general public?

2. Would we make the same decision if we were 2 weeks out from finals or the indiscretion involved an established star of the team?

3. Is implementing an individual punishment that by extension harms the teams on field chances in the best interests of our member base or merely kowtowing to everyone who doesn't support the club and whose only interest lies in seeing our club weakened?

Personally I've changed my mind and I feel we need to impose a penalty on de Goey that doesn't impinge on his ability to play round 1.

A $10,000 fine, community service, banished to VFL training for 2 weeks and no involvement in the JLT series should suffice.

My biggest reasoning for this is that we simply can't allow ourselves to be backed into a corner when it comes to player sanctions, the club must be the master of it's destiny, we need multiple options on the table available and we must not be ruled by the fear of public perception.
He's mad. He's bad. He's MaynHARD!
K
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 17 times

Post by K »

Magpietothemax wrote:... He has not let down his team mates, because no one other than Jordan De Goey is responsible for his actions. His drink driving does not, if one is rational in one's judgement, reflect on the club nor the team. Only on himself. Letting the team down would mean that he didn't go in hard enough for the ball, or went missing when the game was on the line. ...
Lying to the club was of a totally different nature. This impacted directly on the relations between him and the coach, and between him and the players, because trust is the cement that binds the team. Then it was quite right for the club to draw a line in the sand.
Given the backdrop to this, I strongly suspect his teammates don't agree with you on that first claim.

As for "going missing when the game was on the line", I think it's really dangerous to equate on-field success or failure with character and morality or lack thereof.
K
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 17 times

Post by K »

swoop42 wrote:...
Personally I've changed my mind and I feel we need to impose a penalty on de Goey that doesn't impinge on his ability to play round 1.

A $10,000 fine, community service, banished to VFL training for 2 weeks and no involvement in the JLT series should suffice.

My biggest reasoning for this is that we simply can't allow ourselves to be backed into a corner when it comes to player sanctions, the club must be the master of it's destiny, we need multiple options on the table available and we must not be ruled by the fear of public perception.
Yes, the media should not be able to dictate what we do or do not do. And yes, the problem is how to punish him without punishing the team, club, and supporters.

It's not clear how best to do that. The rules impose constraints. It's something like a $5k max fine for a first offence. Okay, this is not the first offence, but I'm not sure how much more is permissible for another offence. Otherwise, you could just slap him with a $30k fine. A little more creativity is required than that.
E

Post by E »

I am now seeing articles in the Paper suggesting he should be suspended on an open ended basis.

This is the AFL heirachy F%cking with Collingwood again! Trying to make them take an action as part of being a good citizen that hurts them on the field.

First, let's be clear (since the same reporter highlighted this fact and then dismissed it in a completely nonsensical way).

LUKE HODGE DID NOT MISS ANY FOOTY FOR DOING THE SAME THING (AND THAT OCCURRED DURING THE SEASON)!!!!

Next, let's recognize that our club likely reads these sites to get a feeling for how the supporters feel about it.

Can we PLEASE stop supporting this nonsense by confirming the stupid reporting that i am seeing from Gleeson and others!

If DeGoey is fit, he is in our best 22 and the players want him in the team, let's please play him and actually try to win some football games please.
E

Post by E »

Culprit
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 31 times

Post by Culprit »

Make the punishment count. I suggest that he has to clean up the changing rooms after training and game day until he gets his licence back.
robevpau1

Post by robevpau1 »

Impaired judgment off the field = impaired judgment on the field. Either totally dedicates himself to 'buckling' down - or leaves ... way too busy building his persona, than developing his football skills and abilities.
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 62 times
Been liked: 98 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

To be fair, JDG's resemblance to Martin ends with them both wearing footy gear. Apart from having to have Beams back, it's difficult to imagine how much worse it could be.
themonk

Post by themonk »

Hodge is a captain and got done, what did he get? calm down people.
E

Post by E »

Pies4shaw wrote:To be fair, JDG's resemblance to Martin ends with them both wearing footy gear. Apart from having to have Beams back, it's difficult to imagine how much worse it could be.
With respect, that comment just confirms that Martin's last two years have clouded your memory of the worlds perception of Dustin Martin prior to that time. He was seen as a precocious talent who was too undiciplined to be worth a place on the Tiger's team. "Trade him trade him - he's not worth the hassle" was the popular consensus.

Pretty sure we were all laughing at him on this site. I bet if you did a search for dusin martin on this site alone from 2013-2014, it will confirm this.......
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 62 times
Been liked: 98 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

Martin was always a star. Apparently a ratbag - but always a star. In his first 4 seasons, Martin played 86 games and already had 39 Brownlow votes. De Goey merely remains a guy who shows a bit of promise, when he can get himself organised to play a game.

If I thought Collingwood was going to finish in any of the top 14 places on the ladder, I'd be really concerned that this was going to affect our season negatively.
themonk

Post by themonk »

E wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:To be fair, JDG's resemblance to Martin ends with them both wearing footy gear. Apart from having to have Beams back, it's difficult to imagine how much worse it could be.
With respect, that comment just confirms that Martin's last two years have clouded your memory of the worlds perception of Dustin Martin prior to that time. He was seen as a precocious talent who was too undiciplined to be worth a place on the Tiger's team. "Trade him trade him - he's not worth the hassle" was the popular consensus.

Pretty sure we were all laughing at him on this site. I bet if you did a search for dusin martin on this site alone from 2013-2014, it will confirm this.......
Spot on, he was in his way to Sydney until that fell through and he returned to Richmond for less money, I was hopeful we'd grab him but knew Bucks would never be so bold to have Swan & Martin in the same side.

Although I must confess that DeGoey has 12 months to sort himself out but we need to provide a firm guiding hand, its Swan, Tarrant time again.
Magpietothemax
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Magpietothemax »

K wrote:
As for "going missing when the game was on the line", I think it's really dangerous to equate on-field success or failure with character and morality or lack thereof.
I am not equating onfield success with morality of character. That is your amalgamation. Those who are demanding that De Goey be banned for this off-field behaviour which has no relation to the club nor the team's performance are the ones who are making this amalgam. They are saying that because he has strayed in his private life, it means that he is not a good team mate and must be suspended from the team.
I agree with Swoop's analysis above. His three points are excellent. His first point in particular is relevant to my argument here. There is simply no evidence that banning De goey from playing would be the best way to enhance the team culture and solidarity. Second, it would represent total subservience to public perception.