Vale #1,#2,#3,#28 Captain Len Thompson

Player President threads here thanks.

Moderator: bbmods

bazdaddy

Post by bazdaddy »

Never had the pleasure of seeing him but from all reports a true champion very sad to hear.

R.I.P Len Thompson.
The black & white jumper, worn by heroes worshipped by millions.
ronrat

Post by ronrat »

For those are/were too young. Len was a hero to us in the 60,s early 70s along with Mckenna and all too briefly John Greening. I was 4 years older than my brother so in the backyard games against the saints supporters next door I was big len tapping down to barry price or wayne richardson and then get the ball to Tuddy or Peter or Greening. I remember saving pocket money to by some cheap vinyl promo EP of Len with the footy song on the other side that you could only get at Ampol if your dad bought petrol. I went into the rooms the day McKenna kicked 16 against South and Len Was a giant to a 10 year old. He signed my autograph book and had a handpass with me. I later in life ran into him informally at the Bush Inn in Toorak and shared a quiet one and often saw him on the train. Len the Collingwood Football Club is a huge family, but a close one. We have lost a favourite son but also some one who loved the family and what we all stand for. I don't know if the boys can win friday but all we ask, as len would, that we give it the best shot we can. Len was robbed of a couple of flags and a lot of years but he he was a proud Collingwood man and we are all proud of him, well I am. Floreat Pica
Annoying opposition supporters since 1967.
Cangaru

Post by Cangaru »

R I P.
Hello everybody an Aussie livin in Mexico, just wanting to keep up to date with the footy club.
jeff corfe

Post by jeff corfe »

In due time i'll print this topic and send it off to Lens Daughter Laura, she will be stoked so many cared to offer condolences!
Greg J

Post by Greg J »

Len,

You were the first player's name who I knew. To me, you were Collingwood. Rest in peace. I'll drop in and have a beer for you at the Bush Inn.

Greg
:(
Scooby Doo says "I've been to Lexus too."
piester

Post by piester »

It is worth a look at the notices in the Herald Sun's web site, many great Collingwood names have put in death notices, but also many from the general football world which shows the respect in which Len was held by the whole football community. RIP a Collingwood legend.
Is there any place you would rather be, than with me at the MCG?
Cuthbert Collingwood

Post by Cuthbert Collingwood »

Vale Len
McRae for Governor-General!
3rd degree

Post by 3rd degree »

ronrat wrote:For those are/were too young. Len was a hero to us in the 60,s early 70s along with Mckenna and all too briefly John Greening. I was 4 years older than my brother so in the backyard games against the saints supporters next door I was big len tapping down to barry price or wayne richardson and then get the ball to Tuddy or Peter or Greening. I remember saving pocket money to by some cheap vinyl promo EP of Len with the footy song on the other side that you could only get at Ampol if your dad bought petrol. I went into the rooms the day McKenna kicked 16 against South and Len Was a giant to a 10 year old. He signed my autograph book and had a handpass with me. I later in life ran into him informally at the Bush Inn in Toorak and shared a quiet one and often saw him on the train. Len the Collingwood Football Club is a huge family, but a close one. We have lost a favourite son but also some one who loved the family and what we all stand for. I don't know if the boys can win friday but all we ask, as len would, that we give it the best shot we can. Len was robbed of a couple of flags and a lot of years but he he was a proud Collingwood man and we are all proud of him, well I am. Floreat Pica
Great post Ron.
" Ohhh Banksy and out comes the Note Book".

www.facebook/the hybernators
archie

Post by archie »

COLLINGWOOD - LEN - FOREVER
When we're good they never remember ...
When we're bad they never forget!
Joel

Post by Joel »

The Footy Show did a very nice tribute to Len. Hopefully someone can put it on Youtube or something.
The Prototype

Post by The Prototype »

I was listening to my dad talk about how good he was and I've heard about how many people have said what a good player he was, the sad thing is most of us younger fans could have seen more of him play via some old games being shown.

For us that didn't see you play Len, we may never get the chance to fully appreciate your footballing ability. But your memory will always live on in the hearts of all Magpie supporters, young or old.

R.I.P Len.
jeff corfe

Post by jeff corfe »

Cheers to Frankiboy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
London Dave

Post by London Dave »

luvlicca

Post by luvlicca »

I thought the tribute on the footy show was brilliant. I cried!! It was so sad!!!
- Thanks for the memories Licca - I'm gonna miss you!!! - Bring on 2008 - Nick Maxwell has my vote for Captain -
Magpiefan3

Funeral service for Len Thompson

Post by Magpiefan3 »

2016 Player Sponsor for Travis Varcoe

2017-2019 Player Sponsor for Lynden Dunn