George Floyd Police killing and protests

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

Wokko

Post by Wokko »

stui magpie wrote:
Wokko wrote:I'm all for defunding police. The sooner we have private police the better.
Absolutely totally disagree. Police for mine need to remain an arm of the elected government. I think we have a pretty good model here, much better than the USA.

If cities in the US defund their Police, that could be the dumbest thing they've done. That pendulum swing to anarchy could be brutal.
https://mises.org/wire/private-policing ... EfxVez8PxA
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 35 times

Post by David »

What I would like to know is what exactly leftists have in mind other than a private police force when they suggest abolition. Vague nods towards community self-regulation not only, I think, not only romanticise community justice but also fail to acknowledge that anything resembling coherent local community in the industrialised world has long since ceased to exist.

I’m with P4S: having a police force doesn’t need to entail brutality, terrorising minorities, heavy weaponry or suits of armour; overhaul and reform seems to be the much more sensible path.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
Wokko

Post by Wokko »

David

Post by David »

Honestly, things seem to be going a lot better in that first clip than in the sickening scenes of police brutality we’re seeing from the US. The protesters, remarkably, are sorting it out themselves without people getting gassed and bludgeoned.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
stui magpie
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by stui magpie »

Wokko wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
Wokko wrote:I'm all for defunding police. The sooner we have private police the better.
Absolutely totally disagree. Police for mine need to remain an arm of the elected government. I think we have a pretty good model here, much better than the USA.

If cities in the US defund their Police, that could be the dumbest thing they've done. That pendulum swing to anarchy could be brutal.
https://mises.org/wire/private-policing ... EfxVez8PxA
Sorry, I don't buy that either.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
think positive
Has liked: 212 times
Been liked: 85 times

Post by think positive »

David wrote:Honestly, things seem to be going a lot better in that first clip than in the sickening scenes of police brutality we’re seeing from the US. The protesters, remarkably, are sorting it out themselves without people getting gassed and bludgeoned.
really? i saw 1 black female try to stop them and then a couple of other help.

you are so bloody biased on this subject its ridiculous!
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
think positive

Post by think positive »

David wrote:What I would like to know is what exactly leftists have in mind other than a private police force when they suggest abolition. Vague nods towards community self-regulation not only, I think, not only romanticise community justice but also fail to acknowledge that anything resembling coherent local community in the industrialised world has long since ceased to exist.

I’m with P4S: having a police force doesn’t need to entail brutality, terrorising minorities, heavy weaponry or suits of armour; overhaul and reform seems to be the much more sensible path.
while i agree with the sentiments you dont take into account the brutality that often, not always, but often, comes from the criminals they are trying to arrest. the fire power some of the criminals are packing is terrifying.

it would be like going to war everytime you go to work. terrorising minorities?? what about the gang terrorising normal everyday citizens, and the cops?

this arrest was wrong in every sense of the word, but damn i dont blame the cops for being worried every single time they try and arrest someone.
What'sinaname
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by What'sinaname »

David wrote:Honestly, things seem to be going a lot better in that first clip than in the sickening scenes of police brutality we’re seeing from the US. The protesters, remarkably, are sorting it out themselves without people getting gassed and bludgeoned.
:shock:

you should yellow card yourself for this comment!
think positive

Post by think positive »

What'sinaname wrote:
:shock:

you should yellow card yourself for this comment!
ill second that!!
roar
Been liked: 3 times

Post by roar »

think positive wrote:but damn i dont blame the cops for being worried every single time they try and arrest someone.
I don't think anybody blames the cops for being worried. What a strange comment.
kill for collingwood!
David

Post by David »

Pies4shaw
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 86 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

"By May the tenth, Richmond had fell"....

https://www.wtvr.com/news/local-news/kk ... -his-truck

The Henrico Commonwealth's Attorney said a hate crime investigation was underway against the self-proclaimed president of the Virginia KKK.

Harry Rogers appeared in Henrico Court Monday morning where he agreed to receive a court-appointed attorney.

Rogers, 36, of Hanover, was formally charged with attempted malicious wounding (felony), destruction of property (felony), and assault and battery (misdemeanor) after police said he drove his pickup truck into a group of protesters Sunday in Lakeside.

“Several witnesses reported that a vehicle revved their engine and drove through the protesters occupying the roadway,” a Henrico Police spokesperson said of the incident on Lakeside Avenue near Vale Street.

In court Monday, the Henrico Commonwealth’s Attorney said Rogers told arresting officers he was the president of the Ku Klux Klan in Virginia and the highest-ranking member not imprisoned.

“The accused, by his own admission and by a cursory glance at social media, is an admitted leader of the Ku Klux Klan and a propagandist for Confederate ideology,” Henrico County Commonwealth’s Attorney Shannon Taylor said in a statement released after court. “We are investigating whether hate crimes charges are appropriate.”
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 86 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... licit-bias

An activist gave police anti-bias training. Officers still brutalized him at a protest

Derrick Sanderlin was attempting to de-escalate a confrontation at a San Jose protest when he was shot with a rubber bullet

A 27-year-old community activist who helped train police officers on implicit bias was shot with a rubber bullet while attempting to de-escalate a confrontation between police and protesters during a demonstration in the wake of George Floyd’s death.

Derrick Sanderlin, who for years has helped train police officers in San Jose, was shot in the groin as he held a sign that said “WE R WORTHY OF LIFE”, suffering injuries that could leave him unable to have children.

Sanderlin told ABC7 News, the first outlet to report the story, that amid an escalating protest on 29 May he saw police officers firing rubber bullets at protesters from close range, some of them young women, and stepped in.

“I really just couldn’t watch it anymore,” Sanderlin, who is black, told ABC7. “And just kind of made like a parallel walkover, put my hands up, and just stood in the line of the fire and asked them to please not do this.”

The video shows officers leveling weapons at Sanderlin, who raised his hands and made no aggressive movement toward officers.

Moments later, police unleashed rubber bullets, one of which struck Sanderlin in the groin, rupturing a testicle.

“I pause for a moment like maybe this isn’t, maybe this doesn’t hurt and falling afterwards is like the most painful experience,” he told ABC7.

The injury required emergency surgery and doctors told him he may no longer be able to have children, he said.

Sanderlin retained an attorney, Sarah Marinho, who plans to file a claim against the city and police.

“They were aiming for a body part that is prohibited when using those type of riot guns. You’re not meant to aim at the groin or the head ever,” Marinho said in a statement.

Sanderlin has worked for years with the police department in San Jose, a major city in the San Francisco Bay Area, training new recruits on how to recognize implicit bias and uphold procedural justice. In 2019, Sanderlin’s wife, Cayla, called her husband “the gentle dissenting voice in the community”, referring to his years’ long effort to revamp police practices.

Responding to news of Sanderlin’s injury, the San Jose police chief, Eddie Garcia, pledged to investigate what happened.

“Derrick has been a real leader in our communities’ efforts to reduce bias and discrimination through dialogue. I assured him we will be investigating this incident,” Garcia said in a statement, adding that the department is reviewing its crowd-control practices.

But the incident left Sanderlin wondering how effectively his messages to police have landed.

“What happened to Derrick Sanderlin was wrong,” tweeted the San Jose mayor, Sam Liccardo, adding that he proposed a ban on police use of rubber bullets and encouraged a review of police tactics.
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

Whatever they think they're going to do with Policing, it's not going to be easy.
As public opinion shifts on issues of police violence and racial discrimination, and cities begin to rethink their approach to law enforcement, powerful police unions across the country are digging in, and preparing for a once-in-a-generation showdown over policing.
The flashpoint has been seemingly brewing for years and has flared in intensity with each high-profile police killing involving an African American. Elected officials, facing more pressure than ever after last month's police killing of George Floyd in Minneapolis, are pledging to take action.
"Let me be clear, we're going after the police union," Minneapolis Mayor Jacob Frey said Monday on ABC's Good Morning America, after members of the city council said they wanted to go even further and dismantle the local police department to pursue other models of policing.
But that might be easier said than done. Police unions in the US wield significant power and enjoy higher membership rates than many other unions, which have declined in recent years. Government officials and labor experts also tell CNN that police union contracts often make it tougher to remove officers that have been flagged for misconduct -- a key roadblock to reform.
"They've become far too powerful. They form political action committees. They donate to district attorneys' race or state attorneys' race, state senators and representatives and so forth," Charles Ramsey, a former DC police chief and former Philadelphia police commissioner, said Sunday on CNN. "And then we wonder why you can't get anything done."
For the first time, police unions will need to grapple with a skeptical public that doesn't automatically support law enforcement.
https://edition.cnn.com/2020/06/08/poli ... index.html