Post Match. Swans smash Pies. All comments, please.

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

PyreneesPie
Has liked: 66 times

Post by PyreneesPie »

Ronnie McKeowns boots wrote:Well the evidence from the previous crop is in, and we have very few players on the list who have been developed under Buckley, very few indeed
Okay, I'll ask the reverse question. Who has been on the list that had potential that wasn't realised? This should not include those with chronic injuries and the salary dump players.
If you can provide some examples of young players that were not permitted to reach their full potential, please give them.
The Boy Who Cried Wolf

Post by The Boy Who Cried Wolf »

^ the ones we didn't recruit

But lets be honest apart from father sons and that disaster year with Freeman etc... we havent really 'drafted and developed players', we've mostly tried quick fixes with long shots
Last edited by The Boy Who Cried Wolf on Sat May 15, 2021 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All Aboard!! Choo Choo!!!
think positive
Has liked: 212 times
Been liked: 85 times

Post by think positive »

PyreneesPie wrote:
Ronnie McKeowns boots wrote:Well the evidence from the previous crop is in, and we have very few players on the list who have been developed under Buckley, very few indeed
Okay, I'll ask the reverse question. Who has been on the list that had potential that wasn't realised? This should not include those with chronic injuries and the salary dump players.
If you can provide some examples of young players that were not permitted to reach their full potential, please give them.
Why shouldn’t include the dump players? Stevo is the most obvious example
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
Lazza

Post by Lazza »

Do you seriously think that he would criticise Buck’s at a presser? Really? I don’t think that illogical thinking helps dude. You should know that actual information around this issue is talked about internally.
Don't confuse your current path with your final destination. Just because it's dark and stormy now doesn't meant that you aren't headed for glorious sunshine!
PyreneesPie

Post by PyreneesPie »

Magpietothemax wrote:
Exactly. How can it possibly be suggested that we have to wait 2 years to see whether our current crop of young players is being coached properly??
Because of the word "current". Most high quality players take years to show their true worth. Swanny took about four!!! This is just a given. So add a couple of years to now and there's your answer.
Even young Daics, our most recent example of a young player coming up through the ranks, has taken two seasons to get to where he is now.
Magpietothemax
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Magpietothemax »

While commentating tonight, Jonathan Brown observed in the last quarter that Collingwood had allowed the Swans an extra man in defence for just over 2 quarters and finally in the last quarter had decided to even up the numbers so that at least there would be one to one contests everywhere in our F50. Why did it take so long for Bux to decide this?
There are just so many examples in this game, and over the years, where Bux has failed to respond to adjustments made by other coaches.
Definitely we don't have the players now to sustain AFL pressure for an entire game. We have a hollowed out list with many young, developing players, and alot of older players whose powers are now clearly in decline, and not enough in between.
But you cannot separate Bux from responsibility for the list crisis we are currently in. It is impossible to believe that Bux does not influence the recruiters in regard to what kinds of players he wants for the team, and advises them which players he wants retained.
Last edited by Magpietothemax on Sat May 15, 2021 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
PyreneesPie

Post by PyreneesPie »

think positive wrote:
PyreneesPie wrote:
Why shouldn’t include the dump players? Stevo is the most obvious example
Because we were discussing the current crop of young players and whether they could be developed under the present regime. It's a different topic.

TP, I made it obvious on this board that I was horrified, angry and personally disillusioned over the salary dumped players and how that happened.
PyreneesPie

Post by PyreneesPie »

Magpietothemax wrote:While commentating tonight, Jonathan Brown observed in the last quarter that Collingwood had allowed the Swans an extra man in defence for just over 2 quarters and finally in the last quarter had decided to even up the numbers so that at least there would be one to one contests everywhere in our F50. Why did it take so long for Bux to decide this?
There are just so many examples in this game, and over the years, where Bux has failed to respond to adjustments made by other coaches.
Definitely we don't have the players now to sustain AFL pressure for an entire game. We have a hollowed out list with many young, developing players, and alot of older players whose powers are now clearly in decline, and not enough in between.
But you cannot separate Bux from responsibility for the list crisis we are currently in. It is impossible to believe that Bux does not influence the recruiters in regard to what kinds of players he wants for the team.
Agree with what you say about Buck's general inability to make quick adjustments during today's game. Valid critique IMHO.
Yes, he has partial responsibility for the make -up of the current list. Just need to mention though, that it's well known that he didn't want or ask for the Beams or Wells deals.
PyreneesPie

Post by PyreneesPie »

think positive wrote:
PyreneesPie wrote:
Haff wrote:Don’t want to start a new thread but I came to a realisation today. Buckley has, amongst many other things, cost Pendles a brownlow. How many times has Pendles been in the perfect position, takes a mark and then.... holds up the ball or kicks sideways? Why? He’s coached that way and there is no structure up the field because our game plan is so deficient it’s like Buckley hates scoring. You never saw Ablett do that, sure he got lots of possessions out the back but he was just so damaging like all the best players. If Pendles had a competent coach for the last 10 years, He would be in the absolute upper echelon of players. Now? Sure he’s always in the conversation in the best players in the game but not mentioned with the top midfields of all time. Putting that squarely on the square jaw of Buckley. Our kids have no chance.
Well perhaps ask Pendles about this? He's currently defending the coaching. His tune may change, but that's what it is at present.
He’s the captain of course he is, let’s see what he says next year
FFS, I did say at present!!!!!
Gerry Cooper
Has liked: 117 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by Gerry Cooper »

shawthing wrote:
Jezza wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:Good players, a good healthy list, make good Coaches, being that way for over 150 yrs. Clarko is finding that out now. I doubt if he could do any better with us at present, our kids need to mature and we really need a KPP or two. Takes time, it is what it is. Keep playing kids, and get a few guys back, theres not much more we can do, until the draft really. We wont win the flag this season, but neither will 16 other teams, thats the reality.
Clarkson's done plenty to earn respect and patience from the Hawthorn supporter base. That's why silence from the Hawks fans to have moved him on are deafening.

It's easy to "play the kids", but are they being taught and coached properly?
That's what keeps me up at night. The best thing for these kids' development is getting Buckley and his cronies as far away from them as possible. And as soon as possible.
+10 - letting Buckley and his crew "develop" them will destroy their initiative and individuality and lead to minimal skill development. One reason I want him and his useless mates gone is to give our promising kids a chance to learn the right way.

Here's a question I have been contemplating the last few days. Under Buckley's regime how many players have really developed beyond the skill set they came to the club with? I might be wrong but I can't think of too many.
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.�
DT
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 6 times

Post by DT »

Lazza wrote:
The Boy Who Cried Wolf wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:OK, I get it, most here blame Bucks. That's fair enough. We'll just have to agree to disagree. I simply think we don't have enough good players.
Exactly right and all under whose watch? I mean how many decades do you give a guy to rebuild a premiership winning list RB?
In reality the main person responsible for player recruitment was Ned Guy. Like you said, Ned too had years to replenish the list. He failed miserably.
Absolutely wrong. Ned Guy was list manager not recruiter and only around two or three years. Derek Hine is chief recruiter. Get your facts right
Daicos, impossible angle ... Goal!
PyreneesPie

Post by PyreneesPie »

^ Depends on what their starting skill set was/is.
Currently, Murphy and Keane seem to be coming along okay, starting from limited experience in footy.
Magpietothemax
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Magpietothemax »

Gerry Cooper wrote:
shawthing wrote:
Jezza wrote: Clarkson's done plenty to earn respect and patience from the Hawthorn supporter base. That's why silence from the Hawks fans to have moved him on are deafening.

It's easy to "play the kids", but are they being taught and coached properly?
That's what keeps me up at night. The best thing for these kids' development is getting Buckley and his cronies as far away from them as possible. And as soon as possible.
+10 - letting Buckley and his crew "develop" them will destroy their initiative and individuality and lead to minimal skill development. One reason I want him and his useless mates gone is to give our promising kids a chance to learn the right way.

Here's a question I have been contemplating the last few days. Under Buckley's regime how many players have really developed beyond the skill set they came to the club with? I might be wrong but I can't think of too many.
That is why, if we are serious about getting out of this black hole, we need to remove Bux as soon as humanly possible, before season's end if it can be done. The difficulty is that Bux is not the sole problem, but the assistant coaches are useless as well. At least though, with the removal of the main coach, even if the assistant coaches have to stay until the end of the year (i just dont know if it is possible to get two interim assistant coaches!!) the toxicity of the relations that Bux clearly engenders, the inability to respond on game day to other coaches' changes, the stultifying insistence on discredited and suffocating defensive structures, will be gone, and our team will at last be able to breathe more freely.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
The_Staunton

Post by The_Staunton »

Magpietothemax wrote:
Gerry Cooper wrote:
shawthing wrote:

That is why, if we are serious about getting out of this black hole, we need to remove Bux as soon as humanly possible, before season's end if it can be done. The difficulty is that Bux is not the sole problem, but the assistant coaches are useless as well. At least though, with the removal of the main coach, even if the assistant coaches have to stay (i just dont know if it is possible to get two interim assistant coaches!!) the toxicity of the relations that Bux clearly engenders, the inability to respond on game day to other coaches' changes, the stultifying insistence on discredited and suffocating defensive structures, will be gone, and our team will at last be able to breathe more freely.
Spot on

There's no excitement in this group, no spark, no reason to watch..

It's a predictable sludge where the senior players cbf listening to Buckley anymore, and the young kids look lost because they aren't encouraged to take the game on

We can't waste a single minute exposing these kids to this horrible Buckley culture

The best thing for Collingwood is Buckley, Sanderson and Harvey going by Monday
We just got nutted at the clearances...
Dave The Man
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Dave The Man »

The Boy Who Cried Wolf wrote:Presser.

https://www.afl.com.au/video/613665/ful ... Conference
Would not waste my Time Listening or Reading what he says
I am Da Man