Post Match. Pies lose to Lions. All comments, please.

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

Magpietothemax
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Magpietothemax »

winpies wrote:
masoncox wrote:What really got me tonite were the fumbles.
Don't forget it gets very dewy and slippery at night there. That wouldn't help. Brisbane would be used to those conditions.
Lots of things helped brisbane lions tonight:
conditions they are accustomed to, umpiring decisions of very questionable value, but most importantly our lack of an AFL standard defence, due to personnel issues and our lack of insufficient midfield power due to the fact that we are playing so many kids, and various other reasons of a historic nature.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
Piesnchess
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 72 times

Post by Piesnchess »

^ Yes, our backs were decimated, Moore would have taken care of Daniher, Howe was sadly missed, as was Qaynor, and Pendles out goes without saying. and i thiink our kids are tiring out now a bit too, was just one of those matches nothing goes right. Noble should have played too.
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Charlie Oneeye
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 14 times

Post by Charlie Oneeye »

winpies wrote:
masoncox wrote:What really got me tonite were the fumbles.
Don't forget it gets very dewy and slippery at night there. That wouldn't help. Brisbane would be used to those conditions.
This is right on the money. Whilst I give credit to Brisbane player's skill, progressively we clearly continued to make than extra fumble and were caught out position wise, whereas Brisbane players had better body positioning to control the ball.

I liked our start, but it did seem that Brisbane would win the arm wrestle as the game wore on. Of course, the blowout isn't just because of our ball handling.
What'sinaname
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by What'sinaname »

Rd10.1998_11.1#36 wrote:People wanted the coach and his defensive game plan gone. People wanted to Play the Kids. People wanted to see us take risks. Well, here we are
Sadly, we still can't kick a decent score regardless of which strategy we use. While the rest of league has moved on, we are still kicking the same sorts of scores as we did in the shortened quarters of 2020. We have scored more than 100 points once in the last 43 games.

It'll take many years to clean off the Buckley stink.
Big T
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 58 times

Post by Big T »

Sometimes u can only paraphrase Big AL.

Yep, yep yep yep yep yep
Buon Giorno
What'sinaname
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by What'sinaname »

Let's hope our new recruiting team value indigenous players more than the recruiters of the past 20 years.
Fighting against the objectification of woman.
joemamone@gmail.com

Post by joemamone@gmail.com »

Tap outs-over rated. Only on rare occasions do tap outs actually hit their target and mostly when they do the player is jumped on. The tap out is not the issue the real issue is the ability of a the player to anticipate and react as most of the time players play man on man at ruck contests.

As for Grundy, he can tap all he likes, the fact is he rarely significantly impacts the game. He has no ability to take a contested mark and rarely presents himself as a target. If he wants to be "ruck rover" then he should go find another club. He is paid to be a ruckman and all that goes with that role.
Believer
thesoretoothsayer
Been liked: 14 times

Post by thesoretoothsayer »

What'sinaname wrote:Let's hope our new recruiting team value indigenous players more than the recruiters of the past 20 years.
Pass
-----
Krakouer
Wellingham
Davis (but, let's face it, he did go missing on the big stage)

???
-----
Varcoe

Fail
-----
Wells
Kirby
McCarthy
Cole
Egan
Dick
Cox
Corrie
Ugle
Yagmoor
Armstrong

Let's recruit indigenous players if they've got talent.
Let's setup programs to develop indigenous players and get them to the club.
But I think we've got bigger problems that the melanin level of the playing group.
schuey07

Post by schuey07 »

There’s so many people on here who have no idea about where we are at. We are at the beginning of a rebuild, we have no coach, we are at the end of the season, we are playing kids with less than 20 games experience and we played a premiership contender, what did you think was going to happen. This is going to take time and patience to fix. This is the 10 year legacy that Bucks and Ed have left us, unfortunately it’s going to take time to fix.
Haff
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 39 times

Post by Haff »

Now that I’ve sobered up, from what I recall of the game (not heaps), it was a bunch of kids and old blokes who are limping to the end of the season. I’d rather that beating on the way to getting games into the kids than Buckleys snorefest we were dishing up.
(Sorry for my drunken dribble)
The match day thread is for unfiltered BS knee jerk reactions. The time for level headed comment comes after.
Ronnie McKeowns boots

Post by Ronnie McKeowns boots »

Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 113 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

^ completely agree Ronnie. I kept saying this during the game. It was insane to play a fast down the guts shootout game after dropping IQ and Noble, plus Howe out. Some of the game sure but not all of it. Although it didn’t help that every time we took a mark we were called to play on before we’d even put both feet back on the ground. Saw some of the quickest play on calls ever last night
glasseyevfx

Post by glasseyevfx »

schuey07 wrote:There’s so many people on here who have no idea about where we are at. We are at the beginning of a rebuild, we have no coach, we are at the end of the season, we are playing kids with less than 20 games experience and we played a premiership contender, what did you think was going to happen. This is going to take time and patience to fix. This is the 10 year legacy that Bucks and Ed have left us, unfortunately it’s going to take time to fix.
+ one on the rebuild - frankly I wasn't disappointed with the first quarter. We seemed to be more even over the ground, and for the first time in ages I feel we have something going on in the forward line in terms of potential.
I don't think Bucks/Ed left us holding a stinker - we were due for a rebuild.
I like to look at the last 11 years and compare ourselves to StKilda. Both contending the GF but we, in that time have been top 8 more often than not; competed in more GFs while Sainters have languished. We have done a much better job behind the scenes.
We shall set our course by the stars and not ships that pass in the night
MatthewBoydFanClub
Been liked: 1 time

Post by MatthewBoydFanClub »

MatthewBoydFanClub
Been liked: 1 time

Post by MatthewBoydFanClub »

glasseyevfx wrote:
schuey07 wrote:There’s so many people on here who have no idea about where we are at. We are at the beginning of a rebuild, we have no coach, we are at the end of the season, we are playing kids with less than 20 games experience and we played a premiership contender, what did you think was going to happen. This is going to take time and patience to fix. This is the 10 year legacy that Bucks and Ed have left us, unfortunately it’s going to take time to fix.
+ one on the rebuild - frankly I wasn't disappointed with the first quarter. We seemed to be more even over the ground, and for the first time in ages I feel we have something going on in the forward line in terms of potential.
I don't think Bucks/Ed left us holding a stinker - we were due for a rebuild.
I like to look at the last 11 years and compare ourselves to StKilda. Both contending the GF but we, in that time have been top 8 more often than not; competed in more GFs while Sainters have languished. We have done a much better job behind the scenes.
Where was that layer of younger players coming through last year? In 2019? Mainly I saw players like Varcoe, Reid, Greenwood, Mayne, Madgen, Thomas and a few other senior players continuing to get games ahead of our youth. And look at all the high draft picks we traded away, as for example the Beams trade. That's the legacy Buckley/McGuire/Walsh left us this year. Basically it was Derek Hine picking up the pieces in the national draft last year and Robert Harvey carrying the can of having to coach the team this year.