#29 Joe Richards

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

piedys
Has liked: 281 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by piedys »

Spewin' buckets he didn't score a goal with his first kick.
That would have been what, two in two weeks counting Sully, and maybe an AFL first?
M I L L A N E 4 2 forever
Piesnchess
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 72 times

Post by Piesnchess »

Woods Of Ypres wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:IS this kid any relation to Louie, as doggies Ted Richards is ??
Ed not Ted

Ummm I think his full name is Edward, and Ted is short for Edward , E J Whitten was Edward, but always called Ted Whitten. :o
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
RudeBoy
Been liked: 73 times

Post by RudeBoy »

I prefer to call him Smokin' Joe! 8)
thesoretoothsayer
Been liked: 14 times

Post by thesoretoothsayer »

I got to have an up close look at Richards on Sunday.
You would not be able to pick him out of a local U16 team, he's that small and wispy.
A remarkable achievement for him to be drafted by an AFL club, let alone have such a debut.

An undersized, skillful forward who's also a teacher. Gee, I wonder how Ben Reid talked Fly into drafting him...
Jezza
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 191 times

Post by Jezza »

Piesnchess wrote:Ummm I think his full name is Edward, and Ted is short for Edward , E J Whitten was Edward, but always called Ted Whitten. :o
I've never heard him referred to as "Ted Richards".

There was a Ted Richards who played for Sydney and Essendon several years before Ed was drafted into the system.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
Boot
Been liked: 3 times

Post by Boot »

I put my hand up to admit that I gave Joe Richards no chance of making it at AFL level, but I was pleasantly surprised with how competitive and effective Richards was in his debut on Sunday.
I will say he was lucky to make that debut against a severely weakened West Coast Eagles team without Yeo and Waterman, but you can only beat who the opposition put against you so good for him to do so well on debut.
My skepticism about Richard's prospects at the AFL level was based on his size and what I thought of his lack of pace but that didn't seem to be a problem on Sunday.
It does worry me a bit having a team with all of Richards, Noble and Bobby Hill in it. Makes for a very light team that could potentially be monstered at AFL level, but we all know "Speed Kills" and having the clean hands and footy smarts, along with the courage to contest, gives smaller guys the opportunity to add to the team success. Of course that is one of the great things about Aussie Rules footy in that this game allows players of all shape and size to be able to impact the result.
Collingwood Domination. Envy of the Nation!
LaurieHolden
Has liked: 145 times
Been liked: 146 times

Post by LaurieHolden »

^Dermott Brereton gave insight re what he viewed that Sullivan, Harrison and Richards possessed was the innate quality of being natural footballers.
AFL lists and our own have been populated with athletes over footballers at different times.
We've all played with them, the bloke that was a gun 400m runner that we thought would make a great winger but had no footy nous.
These three look right at home with their play reading, ability to get into space and decision making under pressure. Sidey has it, may he show them the way then pass the baton to one or all of these.
All going well were going to have selection headaches once we work through the at capacity casualty ward we currently have. If not, they'll be getting the 4077th mobile tents out on Gosh's Paddock.
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
Stinger

Post by Stinger »

Watche the replay last night, very impressed. Super quick, knows where to position himself, great vision and kicking and best of all clean hands. How good was his pick up at pace?!?
K
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 17 times

Post by K »

How a YouTube clip launched a country star to the big time

https://www.afl.com.au/news/1130322/how ... ollingwood

'Two years ago, when word spread that AFL clubs were making the trip up the Hume Highway to watch the then 22-year-old play, Joe Richards knew he needed a manager. He signed with John Meesen, from Kapital Sports Management. The YouTube video was his idea - and it worked.

Geelong, Richmond, Greater Western Sydney, Collingwood, Sydney and the Western Bulldogs were some of the clubs that either met with Richards, spoke to those around him or made the trek to Wangaratta to discover what all the fuss was about.

"I was injured for a lot of last year and it teaches you diligence with what you're doing, how you're training, things away from football," he said.

"I learnt a lot about what it takes to become an AFL footballer. The good thing about having two years on your contract is you have a little bit of time to work it out."'
Charlie Oneeye
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 13 times

Post by Charlie Oneeye »

'IT'

We should not be over enamoured with height, nor brute strength. (although it does take a village)

If you are good enough, there is a spot in the side. I'd love a tall forward, but in reality give me a 192cm Pavlich or 186cm Brereton, or 188cm Dunstall, I will be very happy indeed.

Watching Joe Richards I am reminded of Kevin Bartlett, if Bartlett is the example, we can look forward to anything.
Meredith1965

Post by Meredith1965 »

I enjoyed the fact that Richards was worth about three Harley Reids, on the day.
Take_a_Screamer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 11 times

Post by Take_a_Screamer »

What? rival clubs already sniffing at uncontracted Richards...

Collingwood speedster reportedly gaining rival interest: AFL trade news
https://www.zerohanger.com/collingwood- ... ws-150700/
Ash Johnson...you beauty
Johnson Screamer @ https://www.afl.com.au/video/931485/joh ... -epic-mark? ❤️️
piedys
Has liked: 281 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by piedys »

Take_a_Screamer wrote:What? rival clubs already sniffing at uncontracted Richards...

Collingwood speedster reportedly gaining rival interest: AFL trade news
https://www.zerohanger.com/collingwood- ... ws-150700/
Bet it's from an AFL club/s with VFL crowd turn outs...
Yes; those crowds get the ol' adrenaline going for the players lol

My advice: stick around, even if it's for a few dollars less than you might be worth by end of 2024....
M I L L A N E 4 2 forever
Skids
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 30 times

Post by Skids »

Meredith1965 wrote:I enjoyed the fact that Richards was worth about three Harley Reids, on the day.
Maybe not just on the day.

The media hype over here with regards to Reid is nauseating. Full wrap arounds of the West Australian every week... it's an absolute joke.

Richards numbers are on par, or better than Reid!

Averages this season.

Reid - 17.9 disposals - 2.1 marks - 3.3 tackles - 0.8 goals.

Richards - 17.3 disposals - 3.7 marks - 4.7 tackles - 1 goal.

I had an awesome view from the second level on the wing and watched the game intently last night.... whilst the rest in our box got royally maggotted on Bullet Bourbons, bottles of wine and gallons of beer.

Richards reads the play like a 100 gamer and knows where to be, he's going to be a huge talent.
Last edited by Skids on Sat May 25, 2024 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't count the days, make the days count.
Meredith1965

Post by Meredith1965 »

^ yep, the boy is fast becoming my favourite player. From the minute he arrived, he has looked like a class AFL quantity. Pressure, speed, both sides of the body, game awareness and capable overhead given his size. A great find.