Pre-Match. Magpies v. Bombers. All comments.

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

joemamone@gmail.com

Post by joemamone@gmail.com »

If they do not play Ruscoe, and, given we need some height, perhaps something out of left field is needed. Dare I suggest playing Johnson at CHB - might be the making of him!
Believer
BBHS
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by BBHS »

Judging by Fly's presser he believes both Cox and Cameron are in our best team as a combo.
KenH

Post by KenH »

joemamone@gmail.com wrote:If they do not play Ruscoe, and, given we need some height, perhaps something out of left field is needed. Dare I suggest playing Johnson at CHB - might be the making of him!
I believe Johnson hurt his ankle today at training and needed help to get off the oval?
Cheers big ears
mattdally
Has liked: 1 time

Post by mattdally »

Johnson injury looked pretty serious. Two trainers had to carry him off. No weight able to be put down. Hope for him he is ok.
choppa
Been liked: 1 time

Post by choppa »

Fly said during his presser that AJ’s foor got stomped on (also said it was a contact knock) and no concerns and it should settle down quickly. He didn’t seem really worried at all.
Piesnchess
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 72 times

Post by Piesnchess »

What'sinaname wrote:Going to be a tough trying to contain Langford, Stringer and Wright.

Stringer is way way out of form, slow overweight, even Scott conceded that , will be very likely delisted after this match, hes yesterdays news now. :P
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
What'sinaname
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by What'sinaname »

^ I wouldn't be concerned with Moore and Murph in the team but we'll be playing VFL standard tall backs
Fighting against the objectification of woman.
LaurieHolden
Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by LaurieHolden »

choppa wrote:Fly said during his presser that AJ’s foor got stomped on (also said it was a contact knock) and no concerns and it should settle down quickly. He didn’t seem really worried at all.
Soak it in the Naicos bone broth overnight, he'll be fine.
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
Gerry Cooper
Has liked: 117 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by Gerry Cooper »

BBHS wrote:Judging by Fly's presser he believes both Cox and Cameron are in our best team as a combo.
Fly is a very wise man.
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.�
David
Been liked: 35 times

Post by David »

So it sounds like we may have something close to the final changes for tomorrow night:

In: De Goey, Hill, Cox (from sub), ?
Out: McCreery, Ryan, Murphy

Something still doesn't quite add up here in terms of positions, but McRae did strongly suggest today that Howe might be heading back to defence on Friday night, so that could both cover Murphy's absence and make space for Cox/Cameron to rotate through the forward line.

That question mark is either for this week's sub, or for another player to come into the 22. I suspect Ruscoe comes straight in for Ryan and that, say, Ginnivan gets the nod as sub.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
Magpietothemax
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Magpietothemax »

^ I think we will be more aggressive, and select McInnes instead. From what Fly said in presser, i agree that he wants both Cameron and Cox in the team. If this is the case, I think McInnes would be the ideal sub, ready to go forward, or even run through the midfield for a while.
Frampton on Wright. I actually think this assignment won't be as challenging as many others that Frampton has had, because Wright is not a super agile forward, and Frampton just needs to wear him and punch the ball away. As for Langford, Maynard can take him. As for Stringer, with Howe in the forward line we don't have a direct match up defender for him. However, if Stringer did pose a threat, we could tactically sub McInnes in, and send Howe back.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by Pies2016 »

If neither McInnes or Johnson are picked, I wouldn’t rule out W H E as the third “ tall “ forward. It’s not his first rodeo in that role this season. There’s not a lot of quality in that Essendon backline and they may decide against Reef and Trey, given the likelihood of them playing the following game in the seniors, is unlikely with all the returns. Yet another interesting evening at the selection table.
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
swoop42
Been liked: 3 times

Post by swoop42 »

On the basis I hope we give Cox the opportunity to be first ruck this week I wonder if we could replicate what we did last round with the sub position only this time it's Cameron.

Failing that I hope we use whichever veteran is the most banged up as our sub this week.

Rather give Ginni another full opportunity or if someone like McInnes is named we see if he can capitalise on his goal kicking form at VFL level.

I'd rather use this final game to try and learn something whether that be the viability of using Cox as our No.1 or we see what a young player on the fringe might be able to offer come finals.

The reality is if all of Moore, Murphy, McCreery and Naicos are available for the QF the selection squeeze is well and truly on once again.

Out: Murphy (inj), McCreery (sus), Ryan (con).
In: De Goey, Hill, McInnes

Sub: Cameron/veteran

Howe moved to defence.
He's mad. He's bad. He's MaynHARD!
Pep

Post by Pep »

One thing I noticed when watching the last weeks game again. While our pressure was very good, and we had numbers around the contest, too many were waiting on the outside to receive the ball.

Lions got the ball out way too easily because of this.

We need to go back to basics I think. Be the hunter, not the hunted.

I'm sure I'm like most on here, I'm quietly confident that week 1 finals will bring out the best in us again.
warburton lad
Been liked: 46 times

Post by warburton lad »

Not available for selection this week...

Moore, Nick Daicos, Murphy.McCreery-- four automatic first 18 players.

Johnson, Kreuger, Jakob Ryan - three depth players

That leaves the likes of these to come in:

De Goey, Bobby Hill, Carmichael, Macrae, Ruscoe, Kelly, Bianco,

Outs: Jakob Ryan, Murphy, McCreery (suspended)
Ins: Ruscoe, Bobby Hill, De Goey
Firm in the belief that number 17 flag is only months away...