Pre-Prelim. Magpies v. Giants. All comments.

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

Magpietothemax
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Magpietothemax »

The Black and White Lion wrote:For me, the reference match should be the 2022 prelim against the swans. If we turn up with the same never say die attitude and fight until the last kick after the siren we should be in a good place.

I’m hoping our players keep the aggression in check and we have no reports and players in jeopardy for the GF. I’m expecting our players to get in a few scuffles with Toby Greene and we know his attitude. I don’t want to face Brisbane or Carlton with our players rubbed out.
We would want to start better than we did against the Swans last year.
Also, Bruzza had better make sure that he does not leave the ground when he smothers :cry:
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
Magpietothemax
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Magpietothemax »

warburton lad wrote:I reiterate what I posted before:

If we win, it will be the efficacy of our defence as a team- really making it hard for GWS to surge and score and punish Giants on the rebound.

McCreery will need to lock down Whitfield; Mihocek or McStay must contest ferociously with Sam Taylor; Bobby Hill must give Iden the runaround...

The brilliance of Tom Green, Coniglio and Kelly must be matched, our exceeded, by De Goey, Pendles, Mitchell, Crisp, Sidebottom and the Macedonian Marvel's boys...

I think Pendles will be set to negate either Coniglio or Kelly; they simply cannot be allowed to run amok as they did against Port Power

Naturally, it will be a tough battle- we are either Premiership quality, or we are not- this Friday will determine if we are worthy of playing off...
Agree that we will win only if our team defence is switched on. We know that our team defence is magnificent when switched on. Having Naicos back is huge as well. We can win this if we want to enough. Over to Fly and our team.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
RudeBoy
Been liked: 73 times

Post by RudeBoy »

Of course it will be a hard fought game - it's a Prelim after all. However, I am not overly impressed by the Midgets. Port were quite pitiful at times, offering no sustained pressure, yet they could still have beaten GWS, had they kicked accurately in the last quarter. Our defence and two-way running power is far superior imo and I'm expecting a 5 or 6 goal win.
Cuthbert Collingwood

Post by Cuthbert Collingwood »

We need to make sure that Ginni gets under their skin more than Greens gets under ours. That’s why Ginni must start
McRae for Governor-General!
piffdog
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 35 times

Post by piffdog »

David wrote:
piffdog wrote:Media will have you believe they’re a u stoppable force bound for a maiden flag - but I suppose that happens to the remaining teams this time of year.

Just looking back at their form over the last couple months.

Rd16 - squeezed past Melbourne in Alice Springs
Rd17 - beat the Hawks at home
Rd18 - beat the crows away
Rd19 - beat the suns at home
Rd20 - squeezed past the Dogs at Ballarat
Rd21 - lost to the Swans at home
Rd22 - belted by the power away
Rd23 - flogged the bombers
Rd24 - beat the blues at Marvel
Elimination - beat the saints away
Semi - beat the power away

There’s some reasonable wins in there, but there’s also a few gimmies. I’d argue the blues were due a loss with finals sewn up and we all know how the power have run out of steam come finals.

That said, winning form is good form and they do have some excellent individual players who are playing well. I don’t think it will be a cake walk, but they also don’t just give flags away either.
To be fair I’m not sure our recent formline looks any more impressive. Our best win in that same period was against Port; otherwise some big wins against Gold Coast, Fremantle and Essendon, narrower victories over the Bulldogs, Geelong and Melbourne, and we all know the rest about our late-season form slump.

I feel more comfortable looking at the finals in isolation. On that count, we’ve done what we needed to do so far. And I think it’s fair to say that our best is better than the Giants’ best. But I fully expect that we’ll have to fight hard to win this.
You’re quite right David - I deliberately chose not to reference our own form over the last 2 months… :lol:
It's never as good/nor bad as it seems...
Gerry Cooper
Has liked: 117 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by Gerry Cooper »

90 nice wrote:Who likes the thought of Maynard as centre.

He could play on ball and be that bull in the middle.

Kind of that bulldozer who just ploughs through the clearences.

Like him and De Goey at the center bounce.

And noble can play maynards chb role.

We need grunt.
Your going to put Noble on Toby Greene? Because that's Maynard's normal GWS match up lol
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.�
Gerry Cooper
Has liked: 117 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by Gerry Cooper »

warburton lad wrote:I reiterate what I posted before:

If we win, it will be the efficacy of our defence as a team- really making it hard for GWS to surge and score and punish Giants on the rebound.

McCreery will need to lock down Whitfield; Mihocek or McStay must contest ferociously with Sam Taylor; Bobby Hill must give Iden the runaround...

The brilliance of Tom Green, Coniglio and Kelly must be matched, our exceeded, by De Goey, Pendles, Mitchell, Crisp, Sidebottom and the Macedonian Marvel's boys...

I think Pendles will be set to negate either Coniglio or Kelly; they simply cannot be allowed to run amok as they did against Port Power

Naturally, it will be a tough battle- we are either Premiership quality, or we are not- this Friday will determine if we are worthy of playing off...
I would put Pendles on Ward, their link man out of defence.
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.�
David
Has liked: 1 time

Post by David »

Cuthbert Collingwood wrote:We need to make sure that Ginni gets under their skin more than Greens gets under ours. That’s why Ginni must start
Agreed. I don't mind him starting as sub now and then, but we really don't get the most out of him that way. I reckon he brings us a lot over four quarters, and the longer he's on for he more chance he'll kick two or three important goals, put more pressure on opponents, etc. So should be someone else's turn this time around.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
David

Post by David »

Anyone reckon it's guaranteed we go into this game with two rucks?
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
swoop42
Been liked: 3 times

Post by swoop42 »

The Giants are certainly more 2022 Collingwood than we are now and it's why they'll be a danger.

Hopefully however Collingwood 2023 is the more nuanced, improved and better model.

Friday night will give us the answer.

Game on.
He's mad. He's bad. He's MaynHARD!
lazzadesilva
Been liked: 51 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
lazzadesilva
Been liked: 51 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

Question without notice, can Mitchell play the entire game? If not, who does he interchange with now that Adams will have to be the orange boy?
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
jonmac1954
Been liked: 14 times

Post by jonmac1954 »

The key fact that pertains to our game against them is GWS performance against Port and in particular Port's phyisical and form map for the game.

Port simply let those GWS mids do as they pleased yet even in the final quarter Port could have one with anything like decent goal kicking.

Watch the last quarter replay . . GWS looked like they were running in mud.

Add that to a short break and 3 interstate travels in a row and there must be some doubts they will be able to go the distance.

Whatever the facts they are a year behind in developing this playstyle.

If we bring it they will go down.
Last edited by jonmac1954 on Mon Sep 18, 2023 3:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Take_a_Screamer
Been liked: 12 times

Post by Take_a_Screamer »

This is a paid article. I only transcribed that relevant to Collingwood….

The Age: Key match-ups of Pies v Giants and Lions v Blues
By Jon Pierik, September 18, 2023

Ahead of this week’s two preliminary finals, we analyse the key match-ups that will help decide which two teams qualify to play in the AFL grand final.

Toby Greene v Nathan Murphy/Jeremy Howe

Greene did not play in the round-nine clash between these sides, when the Magpies won by 65 points. But he had Jeremy Howe and Nathan Murphy as his opponents when the teams met in heavy rain in round 15 last year. Howe, of course, has been spending time as a forward this season. Greene, the All-Australian captain, is arguably the league’s most entertaining player, and was instrumental in the Giants’ 23-point win over the Power on Saturday night, with three goals. GWS captain Toby Greene is always difficult to stop. On Friday night Collingwood’s Nathan Murphy (right) will probably spend some time on the dangerous Greene. While he is technically a medium-sized forward, he can play as a tall because of his strong overhead marking, while his skills at ground level are second to none. The Magpies will look to push him away from the goals.

Steele Sidebottom/Josh Daicos v Josh Kelly

Sidebottom and Kelly lined up on a wing in round nine, the pair almost negating each other. Kelly had 27 disposals while Sidebottom had 25, but Kelly could also spend time on All-Australian Daicos. Gut-runners Josh Kelly (GWS) and Josh Daicos (Collingwood) could find themselves facing off against each other on a wing at the MCG in the preliminary final. The smooth-moving Kelly has had a strong finals series, while the hard-running Sidebottom, who provides help in defence, was a key figure in the Magpies’ win over Melbourne. Daicos, however, was quiet against the Demons (14 disposals), and the Giants will be keen to ensure this continues.

Jordan De Goey v Tom Green

This is a battle of the bulls. The pair lined up on each other in round nine, De Goey finishing with 31 touches, including seven clearances, and a goal, while Green had 30 and seven. The robust Green has become one of the league’s best, and most powerful, midfielders, and carries the ball forward whenever possible. He had 29 touches, including eight clearances, against the Power. De Goey is a brilliant finals performer, and should benefit from having Nick Daicos back in the fold. The advantage here may ultimately go to the man who can have the most direct impact on the scoreboard.

(login required)
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/pre ... 5e590.html
Ash Johnson...you beauty
Johnson Screamer @ https://www.afl.com.au/video/931485/joh ... -epic-mark? ❤️️
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 113 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

Pretty wild if it’s a Collingwood v Carlton GF. Especially considering the bluescum are only playing finals because Adelaide was robbed right in front of us all.