Post Match. Pies win thriller. All comments.

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

Said by Zed
Been liked: 5 times

Re: Collingwood player ratings from SEN

Post by Said by Zed »

LaurieHolden wrote:Collingwood player ratings from SEN

Patrick Lipinski: C+ - Poor first half but lifted significantly in the second half.

Jordan De Goey: A+ - What a player, best on ground by a mile.

Isaac Quaynor: A+ - How solid is this kid, week in week out.

Brayden Maynard: C+ - One of his quieter games, but he did his job as a defender.

Jamie Elliott: C+ - Wasn’t sighted apart from the third, needs to add another string to his bow.

Tom Mitchell: B - Worked his way into the game, was really composed late in the game.

Josh Daicos: C - Started the game in fine style but eased out of the contests in the middle part of the game.

Scott Pendlebury: A - Typical Pendlebury performance, bloke's a star, what do you expect.

Daniel McStay: B+ - Was Collingwood’s best forward until he was subbed out, fingers crossed he gets up for next week because he’s crucial for the Pies.

Darcy Cameron: C - Cox was definitely the better ruckman out of the two, but Cameron was still okay.

Steele Sidebottom: B - Did some silly things which we aren’t used to, but his intelligence was a clear feature of his game tonight.

Bobby Hill: C - Kicked an important goal to stop the orange tsunami in the third quarter but like Elliott, he probably needs to get into the game more.

Jack Crisp: A+ - Was the fire starter for the Pies. He constantly took the game on as he’s done all year. When they were struggling, he inspired his teammates to play like they've played all year. Star.

Nathan Murphy: C+ - Kept Jake Riccardi goalless, can’t ask for much more as a key defender.

Darcy Moore: C+ - Was solid down back, nothing to rave about.

Beau McReery: C+ - One of his quieter performances for the year, expected more from the high pressure forward in a close Preliminary Final.

Will Hoskin-Elliott: D+ - 10 disposals as a winger doesn’t really cut it, does it?

Jack Ginnivan: B+ - I thought he was monumental when subbed into this game, finished with seven touches for the quarter.

Nick Daicos: C+ - Worked into the game but wasn’t at is normal silky best.

Oleg Markov: C+ - What a moment he had in that third quarter on the members wing, he didn’t do much attacking from defence, however.

Jeremy Howe: B+ - Typical Jeremy Howe performance, 17 touches and 10 marks, he’s one of the best intercept defenders the game has ever seen.

Brody Mihocek: C - Kicked a goal and offered a contest for the whole game, they need him to kick more goals next week.

Mason Cox: B - Started the game incredibly well and kicked a crucial goal in the last quarter.

Source : Hugh Fitzpatrick https://www.sen.com.au/news/2023/09/22/ ... ary-final/
Geepers LH bit harsh on the defenders…similar to the Dees game thought they were sensational all night except for a few lapses and misunderstandings in the second that resulted in a few easy goals.
Will was far better than his 10 disposal game suggests.
Billy tried and had an almost game so fair enough but kicked one and it was his clearance in the last 20 seconds kicking it to Jaicos’s wing that iced it so….
Thought both Bobby and McCreery were solid without tearing it up each dobbing one but were generally physical all night especially Bobby…threw his weight around and bullied the much bigger blokes.
DC and Howe had their moments but thought they were well under their best. DC really needs to take some no-doze before the game and Howe just seems out of sync.
Sidey silly??? Man this guy is crazy like a fox…some of his touches were so sublime it was ridiculous….popped up all night to defuse GWS thrusts forward and tackling pressure was as good as we could expect….the ghost who walks
Correct weight re Jordy, Crispy, Pendles, and Q….A+++++ beasts
All in all however considering how well they kept their collective shit together and not panicked and went to water when the acid was applied in the 2nd quarter I’d give them all an A.
Well done lads…now lift to another gear for the GF!
Last edited by Said by Zed on Sat Sep 23, 2023 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men...
neil
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 21 times

Post by neil »

Wow
De Goey probably his best ever game
Sidey Crisp and all the others were fantastic
McStay may be out he is better than Frampton
Lipinski heard footsteps in the first half

GWS are a very good side
Carlscum 120 years being cheating scum
magpietragic

Post by magpietragic »

Greening gold wrote:Cox showed once again why he was retained and Grundy was let go.
Grundy's ruck work was to tap it at his feet and he didn't take enough marks or kick enough goals. Melbourne has now realised the same. He was OK but I think he lost it when he got the big $$ contract. Not saying it was conscious but some players just lose their hunger when they're well fed.

That last bit sounds a bit like a certain CEO that’s been in the news lately. Keep the workers hungry by pushing up unemployment numbers.

Great win Pies
What'sinaname
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by What'sinaname »

GWS were the form side of the competition. That's as tough a game as we'll get this year.
Fighting against the objectification of woman.
mgh3536

Post by mgh3536 »

the last 4 week prior to our game yesterday the in form side of the competition GWS have scored 93, 100, 105, 168

Finals footy pies!!!!!
piedys
Has liked: 281 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by piedys »

Sliding doors and all that... you wonder had Melbourne got past us in QF, how they would have fared last night against GWS?

I bet they'll be asking themselves that; amongst other things...
M I L L A N E 4 2 forever
Take_a_Screamer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 12 times

Post by Take_a_Screamer »

swoop42 wrote:Out: McStay, Lipinski
In: Ginnivan, Noble
Sub: Adams
McStay and Adams could be right to go. If not, we could see Frampton play in the backline and
Howe at full forward. I don't see Fly dropping Lipinski or WHE.
don't see Noble coming back, but...
A week is a long time and some players you don't expect do come in for the all-or-nothing GF.
Last edited by Take_a_Screamer on Sat Sep 23, 2023 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ash Johnson...you beauty
Johnson Screamer @ https://www.afl.com.au/video/931485/joh ... -epic-mark? ❤️️
piedys

Post by piedys »

What'sinaname wrote:GWS were the form side of the competition. That's as tough a game as we'll get this year.
Tell me - I watched their game last week vs Port.
I'd presumed that was their gearbox maxed out?

I'm sure they ran even harder and longer last night against us, did they not?
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by Pies2016 »

piedys wrote:Sliding doors and all that... you wonder had Melbourne got past us in QF, how they would have fared last night against GWS?

The Dees would have been comfortably beaten. Given the way they enter their forward line and given how the Giants cleared their D50. Can’t stress it enough, the Giants were VERY good last night ( also very disciplined with no 50 metre penalties ( ? ) or obvious brain fades ) but we finally won clearances, had a little luck and the rest is history. Speaking of brain fades, I wish someone had asked Kingsley why, especially after a six day break, did he only use up 59 of a possible 75 interchanges.
didick
Been liked: 1 time

Post by didick »

piedys wrote:Sliding doors and all that... you wonder had Melbourne got past us in QF, how they would have fared last night against GWS?

Suckers.
"The night is a very dark time for me" Chaz Michael Michaels
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 35 times

Re: Collingwood player ratings from SEN

Post by David »

"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
piedys

Post by piedys »

Pies2016 wrote:

The Dees would have been comfortably beaten. Given the way they enter their forward line and given how the Giants cleared their D50. Can’t stress it enough, the Giants were VERY good last night ( also very disciplined with no 50 metre penalties ( ? ) or obvious brain fades ) but we finally won clearances, had a little luck and the rest is history. Speaking of brain fades, I wish someone had asked Kingsley why, especially after a six day break, did he only use up 59 of a possible 75 interchanges.
Great reply bro; but used up 59 of a possible 75 interchanges?! Dafark?

Anyhoo, we need to know why JDG was STRANDED on the bench, like Tom Hanks on the island in Castaway, while that last stanza unfolded.
didick wrote:

Suckers.
I kinda wanna know what GoodWhinge would have said about this hypothetical loss...
The Black and White Lion
Has liked: 180 times
Been liked: 65 times

Post by The Black and White Lion »

pietillidie wrote:Incredible. Lost for words like everyone else.

Tried to over-control the game early, which was too risky an approach for my liking having not played much footy the past month, and took away our own momentum instead of theirs.

All's well that ends well, but let's not overdo the tempo thing that early in a game when we're going well, for goodness' sake.

Jordy BOG by a country mile. Magnificent game. Scotty, Steele and Jack had great games as a trio. Both rucks very good. Q another excellent game. Nicky important as well as easing back. Lippa stepped up in the second half. to make amends. Most of the team constrained by handing them the momentum in the second quarter.

It's funny reflecting, because a lot went wrong, from stifling our own instinctive footy to getting the forward structure badly wrong (having only gotten it right the game before). A good example is Bobby Hill, who looked like he might kick a bag until we slowed the game down.

Let's not over-think it next week, lads. Only go tempo when you're clearly losing the clearances and the other side has a run on, not when you're actually winning them!!

The McStay injury will have a say in things, but then again we got our forward line structure so wrong it might force us to trust our ball movement instead.

Caaaaarna' Pies!
Yes I was going nuts at the G. We played so differently. You spotted it there when we won the clearance at got the ball at half forward we slowed and stopped before kicking to a stagnant Fwd line stacked with GWS backs in the way. So many times we could have gone to a 3 on 3 with some space but we held back and waited. I still don’t understand why but Fly and the crew knows better.

Watching the first quarter again on the replay last night Luke Hodge called out a deliberate plan to make the last kick into the 50 slow to try to prevent the GWS slingshot out of the contest. I get what they were trying to do now but you’ve still got to try and win the game and that only comes from scoring and taking the lead.

Either way, they prevailed and what a win. Such a happy crowd at the G last night. Well done to the whole team players and coaches up and down. GWS were huge too. Reminiscent of us in 2007.

What a week we have ahead of us. So much wonder and trepidation and hopefully
Ed Allen kicked our last goal of the year at the 58minute mark
The Black and White Lion
Has liked: 180 times
Been liked: 65 times

Post by The Black and White Lion »

Haff wrote:
Big T wrote:
Haff wrote:Ch7 trying to get Naicos rubbed out for a dangerous tackle. Nothing in it. Bet the AFL appeal nothing to see from MC.
How was the suplex on mihocek... no free
Only thing I’ll say was that it wasn’t the normal sling action.. umpires are trained on examples. Won’t see to many overhead body slam type tackles.
Yet he landed on his head. Dangerous Tackle free kick was the right call. Then move on
Ed Allen kicked our last goal of the year at the 58minute mark
Clifton Hill-Billy
Been liked: 7 times

Post by Clifton Hill-Billy »

Just woke up and still pumped to the max, what a win. Thanks boys!
"Hey Ma get off the dang roof!"