Trade winds: Get Petracca

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

eddiesmith
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 16 times

Re: Get Petracca

Post by eddiesmith »

lazzadesilva wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2024 6:31 pm I think every single selection is a risk so I don’t see any reason not to go ahead based on that. I’m surprised that so many here are against his recruitment. Are we not daring in our efforts to get better anymore and always go with the safe options that may or may not bring success? I’m all for taking calculated risks and going with the decision wherever it takes us. At present, we need something outside the box to improve and I’m all for having a go. Exciting if it works out and so be it if it doesn't 🙄
Our last 2 flags have been won by recruiting midfielders to fill a hole in the side, our list is very much at it's peak and will need a big rebuild very shortly, so why the hell not go all out? You add in Petracca and suddenly you don't need JDG to play every game and dominate, you don't need him to play more than half a game in the midfield either. Its a win-win and if it doesn't work out, well at least we had a crack and tried to do something before falling off a cliff.

Sure, it may finish with us in the bottom 4 with Petracca as our full forward in 2029, but so what? We need to do something to snatch another flag or 2.
lazzadesilva
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 51 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

eddiesmith wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2024 7:38 pm
lazzadesilva wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2024 6:31 pm
Sure, it may finish with us in the bottom 4 with Petracca as our full forward in 2029, but so what? We need to do something to snatch another flag or 2.
Exactly. We cannot let a situation happen where Nicksters will look back on this period in a couple of years and criticise the club for not doing what we are suggesting now. We need to do what it takes to go all out for a flag next season before the inevitable retirements and the period recalibrating. So get Tracka, Membrey and Bond etc and make next season worth celebrating 🥳🎉👏
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
shawthing
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by shawthing »

He definitely wants to come to us. He grew up barracking for the Pies.
Boot
Been liked: 3 times

Post by Boot »

I think the only way Petracca gets to Collingwood is if he plays the “nuclear” card. i.e. he applies to the AFL that Melbourne breached its duty of care and threatens to go public on what he knows about the rotten club culture of turning a blind eye to rampant drug use by players and their coach. Melbourne’s hierarchy realise they can either resign in light of scandal or roll over in an AFL mediation deal that enables Petracca to transfer to the club of his choice. Given Collingwood’s lack of trade currency the deal would probably be our two first round picks for the next two years.
Collingwood Domination. Envy of the Nation!
SLORT
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 60 times

Post by SLORT »

Boot wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2024 6:47 am Given Collingwood’s lack of trade currency the deal would probably be our two first round picks for the next two years.
This can't happen as the laws don't allow for it (yet). We'd either have to give them our 2nd round pick plus our first round draft pick from next year, or we'd have to (somehow) come up with a player and next years first. The alternative is to do a trade that nets us someone else's first round pick from this draft and bundle that.
WhyPhilWhy?
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 23 times

Post by WhyPhilWhy? »

The Dee's "supporters" would never stop booing, but at least it would take some of the heat off Bruz,
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 47 times
Been liked: 112 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

One thing is certain — no one can ever call Darcy Moore soft, because that was a big hit!
Philthypie
Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Philthypie »

9 News reporting that Petracca has recomitted to the Demons.
shawthing
Been liked: 56 times

Post by shawthing »

Yes I'm afraid Petracca is off the table now. Stringer might be available from Essendon, but not sure he adds enough.

Either way we have to do something serious in the trade period since we have no draft captial.
BEAMER09
Been liked: 8 times

Post by BEAMER09 »

shawthing wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2024 6:57 pm Yes I'm afraid Petracca is off the table now. Stringer might be available from Essendon, but not sure he adds enough.

Either way we have to do something serious in the trade period since we have no draft captial.
Mentally he will be shot next year and how long it will take him to get into those marks/packs/hard ball gets etc etc remains to be seen. Not easy at the pace this game is played at and good luck to him...
COLLINGW09D
think positive
Has liked: 212 times
Been liked: 84 times

Post by think positive »

no, stringer is a horrible human, we dont need that trash
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
Jezza
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 191 times

Post by Jezza »

Wouldn't be surprised if Petracca looks to leave Melbourne in 12 months time.

The fact it took 19 days between the time the story first broke about him wanting to leave, to now recommitting for 2025 suggests this wasn't as straightforward as Melbourne will try to portray it now. Serious discussions were being had behind the scenes.

I suspect us and Carlton would be the frontrunners in any future trade, but neither of us had the draft/trade capital to make it happen this year hence the sudden turnaround in his decision to stay put for now.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
Cam
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by Cam »

He has recommitted to the Demons until the start of trade week. Then we shall see what happens, and if it does it will grab the headlines and be called a bombshell development.
Get back on top.
Jen2310
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 54 times

Post by Jen2310 »

Would have had to sell the farm anyway and its not something we had the ability to do nor worth the risk. Best he stays for another 12 months, and then see what happens this time next year.
Big T
Been liked: 57 times

Post by Big T »

What a circus. He and Melbourne deserve each other. Wouldn’t touch him with a barge pole after that debacle. He could have silenced this bs earlier, the supporters of Melbourne have been treated disgracefully.
Buon Giorno