Vale #1,#2,#3,#28 Captain Len Thompson

Player President threads here thanks.

Moderator: bbmods

virgomag

Post by virgomag »

That picture of Len in the clouds is absolutely beautiful !!!

To one of the true superstars of the mighty Collingwood football club, I bid you farewell. You may be gone but you will never be forgotten.

Heartfelt sympathy to all of Len's family, friends and the thousands of fans.
sem

Post by sem »

IF THE BIGMAN UPSTAIRS HAD NOT ASKED LEN TO WALK UP THAT STAIRCASE LASTWEEK THEN MICK COULD HAVE ASKED LEN TO GO IN THE RUCK AGAINST OTTENS AND WE WOULD HAVE THRASHED THE PUSSIECATS
THERE IS NO SHADING IT IS AS PLAIN AS BLACK AND WHITE THAT THERE IS ONLY BLACK AND WHITE
favourites 2008

Post by favourites 2008 »

Ive got a really good pic of the banner with the lights looking like they are shining down from heaven. Will put it up when i take it off my phone.
favourites 2008

Post by favourites 2008 »

ozybelle

Post by ozybelle »

Great banner

I found a pic taken on 30/9/2004 of Len and I at the Copeland Trophy night..........he was always very approachable and very tall lol

Thanks Len
RIP
ponsfordstand

Post by ponsfordstand »

What a superstar ! Geez it was never from Thommo's lack of effort that those finals in his day didnt go our way. Here's a reminder.... 1970 GF - he kicks our last goal in 3rdQ and first in 4thQ, did all he could to see if we could hang on (and he wasnt even fit). 1971 1st Semi - comes off bench at half time and he dominates, we storm over Richmond to hit the front, coming from 5 goals down, but we just couldn't sustain it. 1972 - we're buggered with injuries: no McKenna or Price (and of course no Greening), but he plays sensationally. In the First Semi we play 2 debutants we are stuffed with injuries and we almost win - Thommo is B.O.G. 1973 at the start of Prelim he switches to CHF, kicks 3 in first half, but we lose narrowly. 1974 Elim. thrashes Garry Dempsey and we win by heaps. 1977 GF the Norm Smith should be retrospectively awarded - he dominates entire game, but we draw.
What a player!!!!!
R.I.P Thommo
Since 69
skaman
Has liked: 40 times
Been liked: 13 times

Post by skaman »

Wel said Pons !
That era is forever etched into my memories. Fantastic team and players, with big Len leading by example. Pity they could never bring home the silverware. Any youngsters out there that hasnt seen the above, do yourself a favour. Yes, history only remembers the victors, but regardless these blokes and especially our 70 team were the best on the day.(pity not on THE biggest day!)
Enjoy yourself. Its later than you think!
Proud Pies

Post by Proud Pies »

Jacqui © Proud Pies 2003 and beyond
cobood

Post by cobood »

It was a beautiful service, befitting a beautiful man.....
....Collingwood Forever....
....Premiers 2010/
luvlicca

Post by luvlicca »

I just hope that at some stage during the day I get to see some form of pictures/news about it. Perth are hopeless when it comes to stuff like this!!
- Thanks for the memories Licca - I'm gonna miss you!!! - Bring on 2008 - Nick Maxwell has my vote for Captain -
John Wren

Post by John Wren »

just saw highlights of the service on sky news. certainly appeared befitting of a man of his stature.
Purveyor of sanctimonious twaddle.
skaman
Has liked: 40 times
Been liked: 13 times

Post by skaman »

I liked how Tuddy said he has 7 brothers, Len was his 8th and thats why he wore the number 8.
Enjoy yourself. Its later than you think!
Bucks5
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by Bucks5 »

Here is Eddie's tribute, moving stuff.

http://sportal.com.au/default.aspx/medi ... mpson-1003
How would Siri know when to answer "Hey Siri" unless it is listening in to everything you say?
LaurieHolden
Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 134 times

Post by LaurieHolden »

"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers