"The Circle" can VC recipient.

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

Nick - Pie Man

Post by Nick - Pie Man »

sq3

Post by sq3 »

OEP wrote:Gone from Cpl Roberts-Smith to WW2...this thread has it all.
Correct - maybe we should get back to the topic.
Coaches give you direction but skills win you matches.
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 35 times

Post by David »

Last edited by David on Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
HAL
Been liked: 3 times

Post by HAL »

Thanks for telling me your taste in men. Kids are cool.
pietillidie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by pietillidie »

I definitely see the need to show support for the military through expressions of public gratitude and respect as it's such a tough and stressful job we're asking people to do. At the same time, however, you can't support idiotic wasteful wars such as Vietnam, Iraq and Afghanistan and claim to care about military personnel.

Did companies also pull ads from hawkish television stations whose pundits sanctioned needless military death, injury and psychiatric damage in Iraq and Afghanistan? Accountability is a two-edged sword and ought to be applied fairly.
In the end the rain comes down, washes clean the streets of a blue sky town.
Help Nick's: http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/fundraising.htm
sq3

Post by sq3 »

pietillidie wrote:I definitely see the need to show support for the military through expressions of public gratitude and respect as it's such a tough and stressful job we're asking people to do. At the same time, however, you can't support idiotic wasteful wars such as Vietnam, Iraq and Afghanistan and claim to care about military personnel.

Did companies also pull ads from hawkish television stations whose pundits sanctioned needless military death, injury and psychiatric damage in Iraq and Afghanistan? Accountability is a two-edged sword and ought to be applied fairly.
Very true mate.
Coaches give you direction but skills win you matches.
The Prototype

Post by The Prototype »

Nick - Pie Man wrote:You're right, it's their choice to be gutless

Oh what I would give for a company with the balls to stand up and say '**** you all'!
It would be good, I've seen some companies that have been particularly soft in dropping programs, but I guess having balls is bad for business.

The comments weren't as bad as I've heard from others, but they probably were going to backfire one way or another. All parties apologised, the man accepted it. I think that should be the end of that.

I think the abuse thrown around on their Facebook page is unnecessary. I don't think she should lose her job for the joke as some on that page have suggested, she probably should lose it for other reasons, but not this.
Nick - Pie Man

Post by Nick - Pie Man »

I don't believe that. Having balls can only be good for business. It puts the customers in their place. Dominate or be dominated
Member 7167

Post by Member 7167 »

They are now reporting death threats agiant Yumi and now 3 sponsors have withdrawn support including Big 4 Holiday Parks.

It is certainly getting well out of control. Enough is enough.
Now Retired - Every Day Is A Saturday
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 35 times

Post by David »

The vocal minority are well and truly getting their way here, by the sounds of things. Bitch long and hard enough (on Facebook!) and the corporates will cave in eventually. Does anyone actually want The Circle pulled off air over this? What sort of precedent does that set?
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange

Post by 5150 »

David wrote:The vocal minority are well and truly getting their way here, by the sounds of things. Bitch long and hard enough (on Facebook!) and the corporates will cave in eventually. Does anyone actually want The Circle pulled off air over this? What sort of precedent does that set?
I guess the Eurythimics were ahead of their time!

You can fool with your brother...

but don't mess with a missionary man!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-Q3cp3cp88
Nick - Pie Man

Post by Nick - Pie Man »

David wrote:Does anyone actually want The Circle pulled off air over this?
Yes, but not over this

Post by 5150 »

Member 7167 wrote:They are now reporting death threats agiant Yumi and now 3 sponsors have withdrawn support including Big 4 Holiday Parks.

It is certainly getting well out of control. Enough is enough.
So what type of people are watching this show to create the sponsers to leave.

Swisse Vitamin eating, Jamaica Blue coffee drinking, Big 4 trailer trash!

I think The Circle is happy to get rid of these low class scum and get some ballsier sponsers on board like... Skoda, Kotex and Big Kev...
stui magpie
Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 74 times

Post by stui magpie »

The Prototype wrote:
Nick - Pie Man wrote:You're right, it's their choice to be gutless

Oh what I would give for a company with the balls to stand up and say '**** you all'!
It would be good, I've seen some companies that have been particularly soft in dropping programs, but I guess having balls is bad for business.

The comments weren't as bad as I've heard from others, but they probably were going to backfire one way or another. All parties apologised, the man accepted it. I think that should be the end of that.

I think the abuse thrown around on their Facebook page is unnecessary. I don't think she should lose her job for the joke as some on that page have suggested, she probably should lose it for other reasons, but not this.
For the companies it all depends on the demographic they're after.

You reckon booze or condom companies give a rats if they get complaints from Grannies? That's not their market.

If they get complaints from the consumers they want to keep about a program, they'll dump it faster than a mule in a Bali airport toilet
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
The Prototype

Post by The Prototype »

stui magpie wrote:For the companies it all depends on the demographic they're after.

You reckon booze or condom companies give a rats if they get complaints from Grannies? That's not their market.

If they get complaints from the consumers they want to keep about a program, they'll dump it faster than a mule in a Bali airport toilet
You raise a good point, I could have expanded on my point but you are right in what you are saying. I can see another reason for them to pull out, it does put their names out there more in the media, and could connect with more people as well.

There are some companies that could enjoy any press, that comes their way, I suppose it depends as you said their demographic.