Transgender politics and social issues

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

stui magpie
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by stui magpie »

^

Police should be free to beat up on Nazis on pure principle, just like they should be able to leave dingbats who glue themselves to roads to take their chances with the traffic.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

In the Age today in the briefs (letters):

“All I did was organise a rally to pick on transgender people. How was I to know that nasty people would turn up” ?

Brilliant
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

This was very good too:

“I see the deeming rate is going up - but only for the Liberals”
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
What'sinaname
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by What'sinaname »

‘Theybies’: Parents speak out about letting young children choose their own gender

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/paren ... 680cc33f96

Not sure if life is becoming a South Park episode or if the South Park writers work for news.com.au
Fighting against the objectification of woman.
roar
Been liked: 3 times

Post by roar »

Why can't Tom Boys grow up to be happy dykes like they used to?
kill for collingwood!
think positive
Has liked: 212 times
Been liked: 84 times

Post by think positive »

What'sinaname wrote:‘Theybies’: Parents speak out about letting young children choose their own gender

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/paren ... 680cc33f96

Not sure if life is becoming a South Park episode or if the South Park writers work for news.com.au
I gotta say, that's ridiculous, like kids don't have enough to learn or enough confusion to deal with. i was a tomboy but I never wanted to BE a boy.
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 35 times

Post by David »

I know someone who’s done this. I can respect the decision and understand where it’s coming from, but the problem is that there is no such thing as a neutral signifier; "they" is not the absence of gender, but signifies something else, an identity in its own right (i.e. being non-binary). So, for me, referring to your child as such is at least as much a choice being made for them as an assigned gender would be.

Far better to give your child the freedom for gender-neutral (or cross-gender) expression, try to raise them without gendered bias and let them choose their own path if they wish. I don’t know if I feel comfortable with any of this being imposed on them, though.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

For gawds sake, just let kids be kids and chose their own path as they get older and have time to learn and grow into themselves.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
think positive

Post by think positive »

stui magpie wrote:For gawds sake, just let kids be kids and chose their own path as they get older and have time to learn and grow into themselves.
yup!
think positive

Post by think positive »

Now it’s the Qld schools debating about pronouns, and teachers saying they should be mediating between parents and students, correct! Bad enough teachers have to be teachers of so much more than just education nowadays, manners, temper control,

I really don’t get this them/they, who thought that was a good idea? Yes it’s about grammar for a start. It makes more sense. Needs a better word.
David

Post by David »

Some people don’t identify with either gender, and it just so happens that "they" and its derivatives is the terminology we’ve all learned to use when we don’t know someone’s gender (complete this sentence: "someone left ____ car in my parking spot”). As far as I can tell, it’s completely grammatically sound, and I’m not sure on which grounds you could argue it isn’t.

Some non-binary people do, in fact, prefer to use a different pronoun altogether, like "xe/xir", so you can still use "is" rather than "are" in the singular. But somehow I don’t think that people who have a problem with "they" are going to be more accepting of that.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
think positive

Post by think positive »

People who talk in text language will ever understand the magical, almost musical, flow of a correctly formed sentence!
David

Post by David »

Not to mention people who post on Nick's. :lol:
What'sinaname
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by What'sinaname »

pietillidie wrote:
What'sinaname, you should be well aware of this already. The entire conservative political apparatus is powered by rage generation. For all you know, you've just taken the bait and helped Bud achieve its objectives.
If Bud's objectives were decreased sales and a stock downgrade.......then.....

GREAT SUCCESS!!!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... lands.html
Sales in the Rocky Mountains have plummeted by 29 percent
The South Atlantic, West North Central and East South Central regions all fell 25 percent
Anheuser-Busch has had its stock downgraded by HSBC which says the brewing giant is in a 'crisis'
The Marketing VP that signed off this decision has taken a leave of absence.
Fighting against the objectification of woman.
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

That's actually disturbing. I don't see a problem with a trans person flogging beer, anyone can drink beer, it's nothing like having a bloke flogging a sports bra. :?