Trade winds: Get Petracca

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

SLORT
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 60 times

Re: Get Petracca

Post by SLORT »

Big T wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2024 4:23 am What a circus. He and Melbourne deserve each other. Wouldn’t touch him with a barge pole after that debacle. He could have silenced this bs earlier, the supporters of Melbourne have been treated disgracefully.
I think that's a bit rough tbh. What should he have done now that he realizes he's on a sinking ship with delusional leadership?
If he wants Collingwood so much that he's willing to wait it out for a year in...er...let's call it the 9th circle of Hell, I say bring him in. At least we can be certain that he's cherry ripe before we take on for his four remaining years.
And if he decides that they've fixed the club and ends his career there then I say that's fine too. If I was a Demon's fan I wouldn't be unhappy. Sometimes you need brave people to say no to the party line, stand up, and point out the rot before it kills you / you're club.
warburton lad
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 46 times

Post by warburton lad »

Petracca will be in Black and White in 2026.

Lock it in.

I have no doubt that Melbourne will continue to implode in 2025 and he will rush to the exit doors.

Melbourne's hand will be significantly weaker when he is a year older - they may even pay some of his wage to garner better draft picks from the Pies- although we will have a couple of million to splash when Pendles, Sidey, Howe, Elliott, Cox and maybe Mihocek retire.

Petracca, Nick Daicos, De Goey and Stringer rotating in the centre square and forward half will be an imposing quartet to match up on!

And yep- I would love Stringer in Magpie colours- anyone who can deliver 40-50 goals a season is mint.
Firm in the belief that number 17 flag is only months away...
Take_a_Screamer
Been liked: 11 times

Post by Take_a_Screamer »

Petracca is staying with Melbourne according to this article...

...Petracca has remained silent publicly about his future until now, with the Demons star releasing a statement declaring he will remain loyal to Melbourne. 'Over the last few weeks, there's been a lot of speculation regarding my role at the Melbourne Football Club,' Petracca said in the statement.

'This has occurred as part of the end-of-year review process, in which I voiced my concerns as a leader, wanting better for our club, playing group, and fans. "During this time, I have been in open communication with the player leadership group and club leaders to ensure we can work together to improve as a club."

I make no apologies for wanting to better our club and contribute to our success both on and off the field.
'I love my footy – it remains my number one priority and always has been. As for my future at the Melbourne Football Club, I remain committed to playing for the red and the blue.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/afl/a ... enure.html
Ash Johnson...you beauty
Johnson Screamer @ https://www.afl.com.au/video/931485/joh ... -epic-mark? ❤️️
RudeBoy
Been liked: 70 times

Post by RudeBoy »

Clearly he wanted out, but was unable to get a deal done with his chosen clubs of Collingwood or Caaarlton.
Gerry Cooper
Has liked: 111 times
Been liked: 32 times

Post by Gerry Cooper »

It's better to wait until next year anyway. At the moment, there is no way to tell how good he will be when he is fit enough to take the field again. Next year, if he is available that will be quite clear one way or the other.
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.�
Presti35
Has liked: 152 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by Presti35 »

You cant help but feel that he still wants out. But also that the trade scenario was just too difficult for anyone to get done.

I honestly feel like if we really wanted him, we could easily persuade him. But none of these unrealistic trades the Dees and their fans want. All this talk about star players AND picks going to Melbourne for a 29 year old that may not reach the same level again. That was ludicrous. (Next years first pick by itself is a big enough gamble and I think enough to get it done if he was to ask for a trade).

In a way Trac is lucky he signed such a big contract when he did, because he would not receive that money and amount of years anywhere else. Its just that its the same contract that is going to keep him trapped in Demons colours. Do you think if he was a F.A. he would be staying? Absolutely not.
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
Take_a_Screamer

The comments below the video are what's interesting...

Sunday Footy Show: The 'farcical' Christian Petracca and Melbourne saga
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SlMzPyqq_M
Ash Johnson...you beauty
Piesnchess
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 72 times

Post by Piesnchess »

Clearly, hes not happy there, and wants out , but the deal could not be done, so hes ended up with bugger all, jack shit, so all that kerfuffle was for nothing.Playing for a team hes just not into now, so hard cheese, Deeees. !
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 84 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

^ 5 years to go on his present (8 year) deal, with an annual pay packet that is said to peak at $1.7 million and not be below $1.2 million in any of those years. I reckon he'll get by.
qldmagpie67
Been liked: 74 times

Post by qldmagpie67 »

It’s never over until it’s over
Right now as it stands he can’t get out no club he wants to go to can fit his salary in the cap it’s that simple
His management will still agitate behind the scenes using duty of care and poor medical advice as a tool to extract him from the club and forcing Melbourne into paying a chunk of his wage so he can get to he’s preferred club.
The threat of a lawsuit coupled with he can simply say my mental health isn’t right to play football (he still gets paid but he doesn’t play) could force Melbourne to cut its losses
I doubt they want there handling of his injury from the moment it happened right through to his leaving hospital to be played out in court or the public
8 out of 10 times when a player wants out he generally gets his way
The Black and White Lion
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 65 times

Post by The Black and White Lion »

^
The really strange thing about this saga for me is we really haven't heard from Petracca's management. We've heard a lot of rebuttals from the Dees. We've heard a lot of leaked info second hand. Did we even hear from Petracca directly? I know he did a pod cast but I didn't see that and not sure if he actually said I want to leave the Dees.

Petracca is reportedly on a big contract @ $1.7M which is just insane. If Grundy was worth McStay, Hill and Frampton OMG Petracca could be worth 3, 4 or even 5 players. That's a big percentage of your total salary cap. Even if we wait to the end of 2025 to get a deal done for Trac to join in 26 I'd want a big chunk of salary relief to get the deal done othewise it will be to the detriment of the rest of your list and your club for some time. AFL is such a 360 degree physical sport, it's not like MLB or NBA or NFL or Soccer where MVPs can earn buckets up to their last paycheck because their activities are so limited to hitting/pitching, shooting, whatever it is they do in NFL and striking. In AFL you need to be good at everything and any drop in fitness brings you back to the pack so easily.

I would love to trade for Trac but like qldmagpie67 above, I don't think this will get real until Trac's managers come out and start talking publicly
Ed Allen kicked our last goal of the year at the 58minute mark
WhyPhilWhy?
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 23 times

Post by WhyPhilWhy? »

I’m told by a reliable source that even if we could we wouldn’t because of the $1.7M salary.
skaman
Has liked: 40 times
Been liked: 13 times

Post by skaman »

I still reckon theres alot more to come.. Petracca will become a Pie!
Enjoy yourself. Its later than you think!
LaurieHolden
Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 134 times

Post by LaurieHolden »

skaman wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2024 12:39 pm I still reckon there's a lot more to come.. Petracca will become a Pie!
Pies trying to fit Petracca into our salary cap >
[media]https://youtube.com/clip/Ugkxhs9iGQU1nQ ... jyQbzBHAJk[/media]
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
Take_a_Screamer

skaman wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2024 12:39 pm I still reckon theres alot more to come.. Petracca will become a Pie!
Sure, we got a couple Rookie spots opened up
Ash Johnson...you beauty