Magpie Trivia

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

LaurieHolden
Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 134 times

Post by LaurieHolden »

stui magpie wrote:
LaurieHolden wrote:Well, that was a fluke, but I'll take it.

Okay, next question for the Carringbush trivia buffs is -

Q ~ Name our highest draft pick who never played a senior game.
Daryl Groves, pick 10 1989
Half correct ~
+ Brett 'the tease' Chalmers pick #10 in 1993.

Another elusive 6'5 94kg key forward that due to the draft tampering debacle, never fulfilled his potential. In the 'could have been anything' mould.
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
K
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 16 times

Post by K »

^ Dunno the draft stuff can be blamed...

It was just one year, 1993.
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 35 times

Post by David »

David wrote:
stui magpie wrote:^
JDG and Faz.
Nope! Neither have ever done it, in fact.
OK for posterity's sake (and before everyone loses interest, if they haven't already :lol:), last clues: one of these players was one of the unlucky veterans who retired in 2010 without getting a chance to play in a premiership, and the other is a 2023 premiership player whose membership in this club won't come as a great surprise to anyone. :)
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 84 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

Elliott, Sidebottom, Dale Thomas and O'Bree.

The inestimably great Steele Sidebottom has done it 3 times (so far).

I had been hoping it was Beams and Witts, just to give the usual ratbags a run - but, sadly, that wasn't the case.

Edit - I just saw your response to another post, in which you included:
David wrote:Sidey has also kicked our last goal of the season on four occasions, including the last two years running (2010, 2011, 2022 and 2023). Even more remarkably, three of those were in grand finals!
What a gun! The final Collingwood goal in 3 Grand Finals! Did you know that some Collingwood players taken in the same draft barely scraped together 3 gioals in 12 finals?
stui magpie
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by stui magpie »

LaurieHolden wrote:Half correct ~
+ Brett 'the tease' Chalmers pick #10 in 1993.

Another elusive 6'5 94kg key forward that due to the draft tampering debacle, never fulfilled his potential. In the 'could have been anything' mould.
Ah, but your question was "Name our highest draft pick who never played a senior game", you didn't say they had to play a senior game for us. Chalmers played for both the Crows and Port, total around 75 games, Groves never played a senior game for anyone. :wink:
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
David

Post by David »

Pies4shaw wrote:Elliott, Sidebottom, Dale Thomas and O'Bree.

The inestimably great Steele Sidebottom has done it 3 times (so far).

I had been hoping it was Beams and Witts, just to give the usual ratbags a run - but, sadly, that wasn't the case.

Edit - I just saw your response to another post, in which you included:
David wrote:Sidey has also kicked our last goal of the season on four occasions, including the last two years running (2010, 2011, 2022 and 2023). Even more remarkably, three of those were in grand finals!
What a gun! The final Collingwood goal in 3 Grand Finals! Did you know that some Collingwood players taken in the same draft barely scraped together 3 gioals in 12 finals?
Nailed it! And yeah, pretty remarkable that the same player not only holds the record for most first goals of the season and last goals of the season for us this century, but that he's not even a forward. Just seems to pop up at the right time and place!
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
David

Post by David »

LaurieHolden

Post by LaurieHolden »

^
i) I'll have a stab and say Wes Fellowes.
ii) I know Tom Wilson played his 150th last year. Or do you mean most for Collingwood?
iii) Fin Macrae
2023 AFL Premiers
David

Post by David »

i) Very close but not quite! Wes Fellowes played 119 reserves games; the record is 122. (I don't expect anyone will be able to get this, but if it helps, he was at the club from 1937 to 1950 and played 48 senior games along the way. He was also our reserves captain for three seasons.)
ii) Yep, I mean the most for Collingwood!
iii) Macrae is in second place with 38 VFL matches, by my count. This guy is currently sitting on 47.
LaurieHolden

Post by LaurieHolden »

i) the extent of my magknowledge doesn't go back that far. I'll have to cheat and look it up.
ii) Lachie Tardew must be getting up there
iii) I'll take a stab at Mason Cox
2023 AFL Premiers
David

Post by David »

LaurieHolden

Post by LaurieHolden »

2023 AFL Premiers
lazzadesilva
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 51 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
piedys
Has liked: 281 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by piedys »

David wrote:Another bunch of trivia questions (unless P4S or Stui want to take the next one!):

Which player on our current AFL list has played the most matches for our VFL team?
Has anybody answered this yet?
Without going online and consulting any stats-sites; is it Josh Daicos?
M I L L A N E 4 2 forever
David

Post by David »