What made you happy today? Part II

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

pietillidie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by pietillidie »

^Defo interested in the weather. Now you've planted that in my head I'll see what the interesting topics are these days (apart from global warming). I was always interested in the weather as a fisho.

Fish go mental when a low pressure system arrives. There's like a few-hour window that is the best fishing ever if you're ahead of a storm. It's also the most dangerous time as you're more likely to fall victim to a lightning strike and swell/waves! Once, I was fishing at Snapper Point ( https://www.google.com/maps/place/Snapp ... 06275,14z/ ) and caught a load of bream (beautiful) and Australian salmon (inedible) when a storm was approaching. That was when I worked out how much influence the weather had on fishing.
In the end the rain comes down, washes clean the streets of a blue sky town.
Help Nick's: http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/fundraising.htm
stui magpie
Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 74 times

Post by stui magpie »

All good stuff. Mine today is a bit more simple and mundane. I ws scratching around the bottom of the wardrobe yesterday morning and found an old pair of boots I hadn't seen in 10+ years. The heel had broken off one, I'd tried to get it repaired but it came off again. They were too good to throw away, so I threw them in the wardrobe and forgot about them.

So after finding them yesterday, took them to a local Cobbler. Chris the Cobbler in Macleod.

Not only was the heel missing but the soles had gone brittle and basically both boots need to be completely re-soled. Gonna cost $200 but if he does a good job it will be well worth that.

So today to kill some time before the footy starts, I pulled the other boots out. 2 pair of Cowboy boots I bought in El Paso and 3 pairs of Wild Rhino dress boots I used to wear in the office and sat down and have them all a good dose of Dubbin to protect the leather. Something satisfying about just sitting there with the brush working the dubbin into the leather.

Also found an old pair of Ugg boots that I forgot I'd owned. :D
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

Had elbow surgery on Monday (busar removal) and a likely skin cancer removal on my face (below my right eye about 1-2 inches below) done by a Plastic Surgeon. He barely charged me $400 out of pocket & $350 for the anaesthetist.

Got 4 weeks off work but not allowed to ride for a while (he doesn’t want the wound site to get sweaty yet)

All’s gone well. The patient died but the operation was a success
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

What's a Busar? :? 4 weeks off work, did they amputate your arm?
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
watt price tully

stui magpie wrote:What's a Busar? :? 4 weeks off work, did they amputate your arm?
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olecranon_bursitis

Cut away some inflammatory material in my elbow (dunno what Peta Credlin was doing there) 13 stitches. Had it for years but got worse this year.
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
think positive
Has liked: 216 times
Been liked: 85 times

Post by think positive »

Also called tennis elbow,

Get well soon
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
watt price tully

think positive wrote:Also called tennis elbow,

Get well soon
Cheers, mine’s from Rheumatoid Arthritis which is well controlled but had this lump on my elbow.
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

watt price tully wrote:
stui magpie wrote:What's a Busar? :? 4 weeks off work, did they amputate your arm?

Cut away some inflammatory material in my elbow (dunno what Peta Credlin was doing there) 13 stitches. Had it for years but got worse this year.
Ahhh, Bursa not Busar. Got it.
watt price tully

stui magpie wrote:
watt price tully wrote:

Ahhh, Bursa not Busar. Got it.
think positive
Has liked: 216 times
Been liked: 85 times

Post by think positive »

skids good news!

lets celebrate one of our own having some good fortune,
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

Had my second meeting with a financial advisor today, setting up an income stream from my super.

The product they have is called an Account Based Pension.

Until I turn 67, the money in my super doesn't count as an asset, so how this works is I move some money from super into a special investment account. That money is counted as an asset, but drawing down from it doesn't count as income. Same principle as having money in an interest bearing account is an asset but when you transfer some to your everyday account it's not income.

That all means that for the time being at least, I get to keep Centrelink which aint much but it's less of my money I have to spend and after 40 years of paying lots of tax, I have no guilt getting a bit legally back.

It's a really cool product, all sorts of different investment options, basically the same as Super but I get to use it for income.

Now I just need to figure out how to keep myself occupied during this shit weather over winter. Now threat isn't there, Drive is making a comeback and I'm getting some energy and want to be doing things.
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

Aussies win, 1 nil :D
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

Picked up the Grandson this morning, got him til Monday lunchtime or thereabouts. Love spending time with him.
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

2 things today.

1. Picked up the boots from Chris the Cobbler. FMD, what a brilliant job they did. Came up beautiful. They're a 25yr old Johhny Reb short boot in tan and the new sole and heels....brilliant. You can see where they've stitched the boot to the sole. Get another 20 years out of them.

2. They started work on my Shed in Toc today. I was up there this week hoping that they'd be starting but heard nothing. Yesterday morning, rang the mob, sorry, concreters are still out of action, looks like sometime next week. OK, Fck it, tell em to just start when they can without me, I'm heading back to Melbourne this arvo. Yesterday arvo, I'm 50km south of Nagambie when the phone rings. Shed company, the concreters are ready to start tomorrow. FMD, I'm not turning around, just go for it.

So I had 3 calls this morning from the concreter and 1 from the plumber, all shit seems under control :D
What'sinaname
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by What'sinaname »

Got Tay tickets
Fighting against the objectification of woman.