Should we eradicate cats in Australia?

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

Should cats be eradicated from Australia?

Yes
57%
No
43%

Total votes: 23

K
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 17 times

Post by K »

David wrote:...(for instance, I find dog barks grating and antagonising, whereas maybe some macho guys actually feed off those displays of aggression?)
Is there any reason to believe simply barking is a "display of aggression"? Isn't it just the equivalent of talking (possibly with a very limited vocabulary, but even that I don't know)? Some human verbal communication is aggressive, of course, but most isn't. Might it not be the same for dogs?
swoop42
Been liked: 3 times

Post by swoop42 »

The screenshot below clearly shows that I never edited my post as claimed as a record of it would appear under my signature if I had.

So Mugwump is either deliberately lying or sorely mistaken.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
He's mad. He's bad. He's MaynHARD!
Mugwump

Post by Mugwump »

Two more flags before I die!
think positive
Has liked: 212 times
Been liked: 84 times

Post by think positive »

You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
think positive
Has liked: 212 times
Been liked: 84 times

Post by think positive »

Maybe change the thread title to eradicate feral cats. Although rehome would be nicer!
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 35 times

Post by David »

"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
stui magpie
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by stui magpie »

Interesting to note that in both the facebook poll and this one, the results so far are in favour. :)
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
swoop42

Post by swoop42 »

stui magpie wrote:Interesting to note that in both the facebook poll and this one, the results so far are in favour. :)
Donald Trump is President.

Never underestimate the ability of the human race to be stupid. :P
Piethagoras' Theorem
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Piethagoras' Theorem »

I voted yes.
Not sure how this has turned into a cat vs dog argument?
I don't hate cats.. but
Cats are a menace & great threat to our native wildlife and something needs to be done.
I own a dog.
I'm not sure what I am but I imagine right wing would be one of the least accurate descriptions
Formally frankiboy and FrankieGoesToCollingwood.
swoop42

Post by swoop42 »

Crocodiles are a menace to the human species but we have protections in place for them.

Venomous snakes to.

Spiders I could live without.

Certain dog breeds with a greater propensity for aggression seem to often attract owners with the same mindset and can be a ticking time bomb.

Measures to control the feral cat population is one thing, calling on the eradication of much loved pets is another thing altogether.

Personally if I had to choose between a native bird that I couldn't even recognise, a native bird that I could recognise but will never see, a native bird that I could see but only for a fleeting second as it flies away or a native bird that will never be a domesticated animal able to provide enjoyment, love and comfort to millions of Australians then sorry I'm siding with the cat as the superior option.

Pretty sure I read that there are an estimated 11 billion birds in this country so it would only take a rather modest 5% reproduction rate per year to see overall bird numbers maintained despite the feral cat population and while I can appreciate peoples concerns about bird species that are endangered what about the huge number that aren't some of whom in large numbers can be a pest for farmers or indeed a menace to other bird species.

Then of course it's important to consider the amount of four legged animals killed each year in order to feed the dogs in this country.

Cats to of course.

So pet owners are already placing the well being of their animal over that of another animal that will be killed in order to feed it.

Not sure anyone can be taking the moral high road on this issue when that is the brutal reality and whether it be a bird in the wild or a horse at a knackery if you own a dog or a cat you have blood on your hands.
K
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 17 times

Post by K »

Piethagoras' Theorem
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Piethagoras' Theorem »

I've come across 2 pitbulls in the past year, the most docile dogs I've ever met. I don't buy the "killing is in their genes" nonsense.

Anyway, this isn't about dogs.

Swoop, surely you understand the difference between a native animal and a feral predator, introduced by man. Who said anything about killing loved pets? Control and greater restrictions, yes but the ferals have to be culled. I would say the same for dogs or any other domesticated animal.

as for the dog argument, I'll let this song settle it :wink:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQ-fvr2qLc0
Formally frankiboy and FrankieGoesToCollingwood.
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

^

Well said Frankie. If Swoop had bothered to read the OP, I said
To eradicate cats means that existing pets must be desexed, any strays caught are destroyed, breeders are closed down and stock all desexed and a bounty put on feral/stray cats.

Those people who desperately desire the company of a cat, could purchase a desexed one from over seas, but other than that, Australia would be cat free.
No one said anything about killing beloved family pets, unless they're out roaming around. Desex them and keep them inside or in a cat run, you can keep your pet.

When it dies, if you want another one, you can but a desexed one from over seas.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
swoop42

Post by swoop42 »

stui magpie wrote:^

Well said Frankie. If Swoop had bothered to read the OP, I said
To eradicate cats means that existing pets must be desexed, any strays caught are destroyed, breeders are closed down and stock all desexed and a bounty put on feral/stray cats.

Those people who desperately desire the company of a cat, could purchase a desexed one from over seas, but other than that, Australia would be cat free.
No one said anything about killing beloved family pets, unless they're out roaming around. Desex them and keep them inside or in a cat run, you can keep your pet.

When it dies, if you want another one, you can but a desexed one from over seas.
That proposition would be just plain nonsense to millions of Australians and appears to show where your truly feelings lie about cats despite your insistence to the contrary.

People who also hold the belief that just because a family pet strays into there yard makes it's fair game to be harmed are also showing their true colours and that is one of hate.

I wonder how dog owners would feel if I baited some meat because their prized pooch was disturbing my peace as I sat in my home on the other side of the fence.

There is no justification for harming an animal that is clearly someones pet unless it's in defence of a physical attack on a person or your own pet.
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

^

If you baited the meat in your yard, and my dog got in there, fair game. It shouldn't have been in your yard. Same as cats, if you're a responsible cat owner you don't let the cat roam round with potential to kill native fauna, you keep it inside. If you throw bait over my fence into my yard and kill my dog because it's barking annoys you, you will have a problem.

If you're an irresponsible pet owner and allow your pet to roam, you forfeit the right to keep it and it's destroyed. hate doesn't come into it, just pragmatism. Anyone who thinks their right to own a pet outweighs our obligation to protect the environment is just being selfish.