Post Match. Pies down to WC . All comments.

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

Dave The Man
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Dave The Man »

Magpiefan3 wrote:Disappointing result today.

I knew this was going to be a danger game.

Had a Bad Feeling nearly all weak that we would lost this Game
I am Da Man
Dave The Man
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Dave The Man »

Pep wrote:We lost because we can't kick for goal.... 10.14!!!!! compared to 14.3... says it all....

WE really need a bottom 6-4 finish.... we need high quality players in the club. We have depth, now we need quality!!
Our Depth is quite Poor Really
I am Da Man
woodys_world69
Been liked: 20 times

Post by woodys_world69 »

the "3rd Quarter push" is telegraphed in fly's game plan already so teams are just shutting down in that Quarter and watching us waste our energy, and then the kids run out of steam in the last.
Magpietothemax
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Magpietothemax »

woodys_world69 wrote:the "3rd Quarter push" is telegraphed in fly's game plan already so teams are just shutting down in that Quarter and watching us waste our energy, and then the kids run out of steam in the last.
I am not sure that it is so simple.
Surely Fly's game plan is not that facile.
We could easily have won tonight.
I don't think we lost because WC had deciphered our 3rd Quarter push game plan.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
Jezza
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 191 times

Post by Jezza »

Today was a reality check. I promised myself at the start of the season I wouldn't raise expectations but I got sucked into how well we played in the first three weeks, that I expected us to win today.

It's overstated how depleted the Eagles were. They missed some of their best mids, but we lost JDG and Adams ourselves so the advantage we had was somewhat nullified. The Eagles still had their regular key position players at both ends of the ground so they were largely intact on this front.

I sensed trouble early on when the Eagles intercept defenders, McGovern and Barass were marking everything. This issue was more amplified without a competent tall forward. It can't be said enough that we need to focus on finding a KPF in the off season. It's costing us games even when the game plan functions well.

Cameron will be dropped, especially off the back of Cox's performance in the VFL today. I hope Kreuger isn't too far away, because he was good against the Crows a few weeks back.

The Daicos boys are continuing to shine this year. One of the highlights of today.

Tough game against the Lions especially off the back of a five day turnaround. I hope we get some much needed experience back (JDG, Adams and Roughead)
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
joemamone@gmail.com

Post by joemamone@gmail.com »

Poulter was excellent today and as was cox.
Believer
orie
Been liked: 1 time

pies.v eagles

Post by orie »

Dave The Man wrote:
Magpiefan3 wrote:Disappointing result today.

I knew this was going to be a danger game.

Had a Bad Feeling nearly all weak that we would lost this Game
Exactly my feelings. My first chance to go toes the pies today and was dreading it.
Any team with Darling , Mc govern, Kennedy ,Natanui and the umpires pet Ryan, is never an easy beat. Plus we didn't have our midfielders in and Sidey always plays shit against the eagles.
My problem is they don't seem to taker their chances when they have them. i.e. sets on goal. Dreadful.
'MADE IT LEGENDARY'
orie

pies eagles

Post by orie »

SteveH67 wrote:
Ronnie McKeowns boots wrote:
SteveH67 wrote:Why are the players smiling and sharing a joke with the Weagles after the game.

Professional footballers only play for the paycheck and fame. No hurt when they lose.

Seriously play for the jumper and play for the club or piss off.
If Sidebottom was among them, he has form!
Sidey wasn't

Even Pendles was talking to Kennedy and smiling straight after the siren though

We always shook hands at the end of the game, but I never stood there and had a discussion with the opposition or shared a joke and had a laugh that's for sure.

Gosh I really really really HATE that... We weren't smiling in the stands...By the way what the F do they talk about!!!!
'MADE IT LEGENDARY'
orie

pies eagles

Post by orie »

SteveH67 wrote:
Ronnie McKeowns boots wrote:
SteveH67 wrote:Why are the players smiling and sharing a joke with the Weagles after the game.

Professional footballers only play for the paycheck and fame. No hurt when they lose.

Seriously play for the jumper and play for the club or piss off.
If Sidebottom was among them, he has form!
Sidey wasn't

Even Pendles was talking to Kennedy and smiling straight after the siren though

We always shook hands at the end of the game, but I never stood there and had a discussion with the opposition or shared a joke and had a laugh that's for sure.

Gosh I really really really HATE that... We weren't smiling in the stands...By the way what the F do they talk about!!!!
'MADE IT LEGENDARY'
Jezza
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 191 times

Post by Jezza »

Fly's post match presser:

Do you feel like that was one that got away?
"Yeah, I think we're just learning how to win. I think that's the reality of our group at the moment. We've put ourselves in positions to get the job done, but it's another week of where all the numbers look really good but we just don't get the result. Again, we sort of reflected with the whole group then about not so much about lost opportunity, but just not quite getting all the little details right to get the win".
It seemed like moments you had the ascendancy but couldn't get further in front. What frustrated you most?
"There was a little bit of lack of composure at times. They're [West Coast] a high intercept team and get a lot of numbers back. Our composure to go inside 50 was difficult. We had a lot of long shots too, and a lot of long shots become long points. We spoke about that post game as well as during the game. I suppose the thing that frustrates the most is when you dominate the territory, and then one comes out and they go down there and score and that becomes really frustrating I feel. The game itself looks like the way we want to play it, but we're just not doing it for long enough".
You mentioned about having 12 repeat inside 50s at the start of the third, and then Kennedy goes on to score on the other side. How bigger moment do you think it was in the game?
"Yeah, it feels like there were a couple of those moments. Late in the second quarter, we get a bit of momentum and then they get a goal from centre bounce. We know Naitanui is such a strength in that area. Those little moments I just feel we're not capturing right now. We're a work in progress. It's round 4, we've got a young group. We found our forward line was young and I guess an experienced backline. Parts of the game looked really good for us and then other parts we sort of battled away and finding a good system to connect and score".
Do you think mentally you get in front and things are going well, and you lose your nerve for a moment?
"Yeah, I do. Exactly that. I feel like we're getting caught up too much in the emotion of going well and the excitement of that and then 'ooh, I forgot to do my job for two minutes and at centre bounces for 30 seconds and they score'. We just have to make sure we get better in those areas".
Do you know anything about Jamie Elliott's injury?
"It's an AC injury. He's going straight to hospital to be assessed. It could be quite a serious injury. If he needs an operation, it could be 12 weeks so that's not a great result for us. He's a pivotal part of what we're doing and we care deeply for him".
Taylor Adams and Jordan De Goey being out made a big difference?
"It does. If you take two of your best players out of any team it leaves a hole. We still had enough entries to get the job done. We still had enough possessions to get the job done. We just didn't quite execute today did we".
How excited are you about Nick Daicos and the impact he's having?
"It is exciting. We're not big on stats, but it's always good to look and assess [at] what's going on, on an individual basis. To see his name up the top, and he's a 19 year old and he's dominating possessions says a lot about the way he goes about it".
You said Elliott would go in the midfield a little bit more with De Goey and Adams being out. What impact did it have on the game when he was subbed out?
"It's a difficult one. Clearly, he's one of our best players. When you take one of your best players out at any time, it's going to have some sort of ripple effect. I can't help but think in the box you just got to keep moving. I'm not too sure exactly what happened after that. I still think we had chances to win the game and moments we just didn't quite capitalise on and they did. Credit to them. Did they kick 14.3 or something, so that's a big part of the game, accuracy".
How big of a blow is it to lose Elliott for 12 weeks?
"It's massive. He's one of our forward leaders. He's an incredible pressure player. The things you don't see is the way he's leading our young players. That's a really young forward line that he's been the captain of. It does leave a hole. We just have to pick up the pieces in this game and keep moving forward".
You mentioned last week that the frenetic game style might be exhausting and you were outscored again in the last quarter. Are you prepared to push on with it or are you going to make tweaks to it to run out games better?
"We did speak about it this week. We spoke about how to get little bit of moments of energy in and ways we can do that. They're not big and grand. We want to push forward. We like the way we want to play. We think our pressure is still really high again today which you saw come through. We're living in this space where we're doing a lot right and then we've got to improve little parts of our game and like I said we're trying to learn how to win".
https://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/video/ ... 9499327001
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 113 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

think positive
Has liked: 212 times
Been liked: 84 times

Post by think positive »

/\agree about sidey

and thanks Jezza, great work!
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
qldmagpie67
Been liked: 78 times

Post by qldmagpie67 »

swoop42
Been liked: 3 times

Post by swoop42 »

With a short turnaround it's hard to imagine Kreuger will play given he hadn't returned to full contact training this week.

Probably best we play it cautious and hold him back until Anzac day. Hopefully McCreery will be right to return by then also.

Adams, de Goey, McCreery and Kreuger is a lot of physicality missing from our side.
He's mad. He's bad. He's MaynHARD!
nomadjack

Post by nomadjack »

Chaos game style we've adopted is particularly high risk against a team like the Eagles. Junk forward entries get picked off easily by intercept defenders like McGovern and Barass. Any leaking out the back gets magnified by forwards like Kennedy and Darling that make the most out of any opportunities they get. Give my left nut for a reliable forward. Hopefully Krueger fills that role.