2022 Trade Period. (COMPLETED)

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

didick
Been liked: 1 time

Post by didick »

I’ve been thinking how the clubs at the top often get players from other clubs picking them as their club of trade choice. Is getting pick 18 if you finish first the only real “equalistion” method? How many players pick north etc? There were all the players picking the Hawks during their run, the Tigers and Geelong. And these clubs find ways to accomodate. Then first round picks who land at the bottom clubs often want out as soon as possible and the bottom clubs go nowhere for a long time. Is this really equalisation? Are there other ways to make other clubs more appealing? Should their be limits on who and how the top finishing clubs can trade?
Last edited by didick on Fri Oct 07, 2022 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The night is a very dark time for me" Chaz Michael Michaels
piedys
Has liked: 351 times
Been liked: 99 times

Post by piedys »

Pete 70 wrote:Massive salary cap issues at Giants. Everyone other than Toby is on the table.
Sam Taylor thanks; keep the rest...
M I L L A N E 4 2 forever
piffdog
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by piffdog »

didick wrote:I’ve been thinking how the clubs at the top often get players from other clubs picking them as their club of trade choice. Is getting pick 18 of you finish first the only real “equalistion” method? How many players pick north etc? There was all the players picking the Hawks during their run, the Tigers and Geelong. And these clubs find ways to accomodate. Then first round picks who land at the bottom clubs often want out as soon as possible and the bottom clubs go nowhere for a long time. Is this really equalisation? Are there other ways to make other clubs more appealing? Should their be limits on who and how the top finishing clubs can trade?
I think about this a lot - the challenge is always how to ‘equalise’ without creating incentives to fail and get a hand out.

If players were all only motivated by money (perhaps like rugby league?) you could try and have sliding scale of salary cap? Hard to structure long term deals though

You could make it that the top 4 (for example) can’t trade in players but can only go to the draft. This is pretty heavy handed though. Would be pretty in popular. AFLPA would have a conniption.

Maybe you attach points to players and restrict the number of inbound points a top club can add - but then imagine the clubs rotting that by sandbagging players etc.

Fact is players are all motivated by different things (success, money, being near friends/family, midfield minutes etc). So no one solution is going to ensure good players only go to crap clubs.

I do think the comp is already *fairly* even, although we don’t have different premiers every year. I think that’s got more to do with the game itself. Because it’s so complex/random it takes more than one year for a team to get good and when they do often they stay good for a little while.

The other factor of course is management (back office). There is no helping clubs who want to make poor choices…
It's never as good/nor bad as it seems...
stui magpie
Has liked: 110 times
Been liked: 135 times

Post by stui magpie »

Yeah, good post.

For most players, like most people, once the money reaches a certain point it's about other things. Getting game time, team success, family etc.

Money is only a motivator for most when you don't have enough of it.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Presti35
Has liked: 389 times
Been liked: 178 times

Post by Presti35 »

DAY 5 IS DONE.

However, a late trade between Lions-Hawks for Gunston may still come through tonight.

Can trades be made on Saturday/Sunday?
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
Haff
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 55 times

Post by Haff »

Presti35 wrote:DAY 5 IS DONE.

However, a late trade between Lions-Hawks for Gunston may still come through tonight.

Can trades be made on Saturday/Sunday?
Not officially I don’t think? Paperwork gets lodged Monday..
The match day thread is for unfiltered BS knee jerk reactions. The time for level headed comment comes after.
think positive
Has liked: 319 times
Been liked: 99 times

Post by think positive »

stui magpie wrote:My view on Geelong is that they have a relatively simple concept executed well over an extended period.

They target locals and other country kids who they can sell a lifestyle to
They have a program that offers a greater work/life balance than several other clubs
They don't pay overs to retain players, they have a structured approach that every player is aware of, you get paid according to where you fit in the heirachy. Once they're in, they can scale that salary downward as they age.
They have the "small town" vibe that possibly only Adelaide can match but with a century of history on their side that opens doors to off the books cashies, advice and other support to players that no other club can match.
They have a culture which makes them a destination club which has been maintained for over a decade.

A club like Collingwood could theoretically offer everything they do except the regional lifestyle, we just need to get better at setting the expectations and executing on it.
Off the books, so cheating!
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
lihei
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 6 times

Post by lihei »

stui magpie wrote:They have a culture which makes them a destination club which has been maintained for over a decade.
What exactly is that culture? Everyone calls out culture, yet can't define what that actually is??
Cancel the Cancel Culture.
RudeBoy
Been liked: 131 times

Post by RudeBoy »

lihei wrote:
stui magpie wrote:They have a culture which makes them a destination club which has been maintained for over a decade.
What exactly is that culture? Everyone calls out culture, yet can't define what that actually is??
Winning.
lihei

Post by lihei »

RudeBoy wrote:
lihei wrote:
Winning.
One flag in a decade? Like the Swans Culture?
magpieazza

Post by magpieazza »

From what I have read, some collingwood supporters are a bit "meh" about possibly getting in Tom Mitchell.
Im pretty much the opposite, Im excited about having his prowess, ball extracting abilities and professionalism at our club.
He is a brownlow medalist and still has a good 3-5 years left in him.
We all know Tay has injury concerns so this makes perfect sense.

Look at the highlights his quick hands are ideal for our game style...like very ideal. Im predicting big things from him if he makes it here.
Last edited by magpieazza on Sat Oct 08, 2022 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero.
lihei

Post by lihei »

magpieazza wrote:From what I have read, some collingwood supporters are a bit "meh" about possibly getting in Tom Mitchell.
Im pretty much the opposite, Im excited about having his prowess, ball extracting abilities and professionalism at our club.
He is a brownlow medalist and still has a good 3-5 years left in him.
We all know Tay has injury concerns so this makes perfect sense.
Agree 100%
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 161 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

IMO, Mitchell is a liability. I have seen him have 50 disposal games where the opposition would have preferred he had 70 because he was so woefully ineffective. He cost the Swans the 2016 flag - although you'd never know it by looking at his stats - they make it look like he was one of the top couple of players on the ground but he failed in every crucial contest.
BazBoy
Been liked: 40 times

Post by BazBoy »

I'm not arguing--just explaining why i am right
MAY-Z

Post by MAY-Z »

Pies4shaw wrote:IMO, Mitchell is a liability. I have seen him have 50 disposal games where the opposition would have preferred he had 70 because he was so woefully ineffective. He cost the Swans the 2016 flag - although you'd never know it by looking at his stats - they make it look like he was one of the top couple of players on the ground but he failed in every crucial contest.
Complete hyperbole here, going on your theory Grundy cost us the 2018 flag by being beaten by 2 poor rucks and Grundy cost us a chance at the 2019 flag with his deplorable prelim against the giants when he had 70 odd hit outs but could direct any of them near a teammate, and was ineffective around the ground despite playing against a 300 year old ruck that was forced out of retirement