Pre-Prelim. Magpies v. Giants. All comments.

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

perthmagpie

Post by perthmagpie »

There seems to be more and more money for the Giants. Today shortened from $6.00 to $5.50 for the flag. A bit of recency bias applying here I think. If you are gambler you may want to take advantage (I don’t bet) by plonking on us. The top team does fade from the attention during a 15 day break.
Magpies love pies(Lol)
Marvelos

Post by Marvelos »

I’m at ease, every non Collingwood supporter’s are writing us off not because they think we’ll lose! But because they want us to lose, desperately, none of them will back up their predictions with cold hard cash.

I am at ease, we flexed our muscle for a qtr against the Dee’s and that was enough, as for them kicking 2.10 in the last qtr, if they’d kicked 5 straight our pressure would’ve returned, thats just how we roll.

Game will be over at 3qr time and we’ll cruise to victory with our key players resting on the bench, Pies by 5 goals

We would’ve obliterated Port last week.
Marvelos

Post by Marvelos »

Can someone tell me what this ‘Big Sound’ thing is?
pietillidie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by pietillidie »

perthmagpie wrote:There seems to be more and more money for the Giants. Today shortened from $6.00 to $5.50 for the flag. A bit of recency bias applying here I think. If you are gambler you may want to take advantage (I don’t bet) by plonking on us. The top team does fade from the attention during a 15 day break.
I wonder what our odds guru the Skidster is doing. Skids, dropping a few bob on the Pies?
In the end the rain comes down, washes clean the streets of a blue sky town.
Help Nick's: http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/fundraising.htm
Skids
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 30 times

Post by Skids »

I've been backing us throughout the year. Best odds I got were 12's, haven't backed us outright since we got in to $3.75.

Nice collect for me will be a Pies v Lions GF, I took that outcome at $5.50 a few weeks ago. Also took a little for Pies v Bloos GF @ $16.

Took some nice odds on a few Pies players for the Norm Smith as well.

I wouldn't back GWS for the flag with monopoly money.
Don't count the days, make the days count.
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 35 times

Post by David »

Magpietothemax wrote:
David wrote:
Cuthbert Collingwood wrote:We need to make sure that Ginni gets under their skin more than Greens gets under ours. That’s why Ginni must start
Agreed. I don't mind him starting as sub now and then, but we really don't get the most out of him that way. I reckon he brings us a lot over four quarters, and the longer he's on for he more chance he'll kick two or three important goals, put more pressure on opponents, etc. So should be someone else's turn this time around.
Interesting. Who would you suggest to be the sub instead?
I have thought about this question, and just don't see who it should be instead.
There are a few options I reckon. McCreery comes to mind most obviously. Someone like Hoskin-Elliott could come on and have a big impact in a tight last quarter. Markov might be another option too.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
RudeBoy
Been liked: 73 times

Post by RudeBoy »

I still expect Ginni to be the sub.
LaurieHolden
Has liked: 148 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by LaurieHolden »

Marvelos wrote:Can someone tell me what this ‘Big Sound’ thing is?
The Collllliiiiinnnnngggggwwwwwwooooooddd chant.
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
David

Post by David »

Not sure, but from what I've heard it's emanating from 'the west of the town'.

A good pair of noise-cancelling headphones should resolve that problem.
Last edited by David on Tue Sep 19, 2023 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by Pies2016 »

“ There’s a big, big sound ….. “ are the opening lyrics to the Giants theme song.
LaurieHolden
Has liked: 148 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by LaurieHolden »

I'm confident. Our raw speed, positioning and strategy in the contests is the purest essence of our brand.
But one thing is certain, we won't win a Preliminary Final if we play 1 or 2 quarters of this brand of football. Macrae's ability to have players stay in the moment will be one of the most influential factors for this match.

The impact of a 6-day break for GWS, and a 14-day break for CFC at the back end of a season will be telling. As a result, I think we'll run over the top of them in either in the 3rd or early in the final quarter.

Where might they get us? It's essential we cut-off GWS handball run and carry, that's where they hurt sides getting quick delivery into Greene, Riccardi and Hogan (2 x 195cm 100kg key position targets). If we do, Maynards ability to shut down Greene is made a whole lot easier.

When we smashed the Giants R9, the tackle differentiation was one of the most impacting factors.
Tackles bring pressure. Pressure causes turnover. This is how we start and finish the game.
Adams out hurts us in this regard. I'd be looking players like Hill, McCreery, Elliott to lift in the tackle intensity stakes across our forward line.
GWS turn the ball over when under pressure. Their recent finals opponents in St. Kilda and Port didn't put pressure on the ball carrier like we do.
And let Bobby off the leash, let him run and carry. We're a better side when we do.

Can a side match our brand when we're in our mood? I haven't seen it yet.
I look forward to that point in the match when we start to swarm and it generates the spill-over of emotions in our 24th player, our crowd.

Smash 'em lads.
Last edited by LaurieHolden on Tue Sep 19, 2023 1:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
Piesnchess
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 72 times

Post by Piesnchess »

Sour Matty Lloyd on the Kool Aid, now tipping the GWS, reckons we cant handle their centre line. ! No mention of the fact, they will have had 5 days rest, to our 15 days, and they definitely tired out in the last qtr against Port, Port missed 5 soda goals, like the Deees did. Its not 2019 now, Matty, we are a far better team now, with a much better Coach, and are primed by Fly, we have been the top side for a reason, with 85 000 fans roaring us on, I am quietly confident we can win this well.
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
David

Post by David »

Honestly, I feel much more comfortable with experts tipping against us than everybody assuming we'll win. We need to be ready for their best!
23 YIPPEE!!!

Post by 23 YIPPEE!!! »

What I noticed with GWS win over port was that they lack quality of disposal but they sure make up for it just thumping and belting the ball forward at every opportunity
They also have a nack of getting teams on the fast break and getting out the back all the time
If we can get the play more in front we will win
And holding them up make them chip it around more
We play tight we will win this
RudeBoy
Been liked: 73 times

Post by RudeBoy »

LaurieHolden wrote:I'm confident. Our raw speed, positioning and strategy in the contests is the purest essence of our brand.
But one thing is certain, we won't win a Preliminary Final if we play 1 or 2 quarters of this brand of football. Macrae's ability to have players stay in the moment will be one of the most telling factors for this match.

The impact of a 6-day break for GWS, and a 14-day break for CFC at the back end of a season will be telling. As a result, I think we'll run over the top of them in either in the 3rd or early in the final quarter.

Where might they get us? It's essential we cut-off GWS handball run and carry, that's where they hurt sides getting quick delivery into Greene, Riccardi and Hogan (2 x 195cm 100kg key position targets). If we do, Maynards ability to shut down Greene is made a whole lot easier.

When we smashed the Giants R9, the tackle differentiation was one of the most telling factors.
Tackles bring pressure. Pressure causes turnover. This is how we start and finish the game.
Adams out hurts us in this regard. I'd be looking players like Hill, McCreery, Elliott to lift in the tackle intensity stakes across our forward line.
GWS turn the ball over when under pressure. Their recent finals opponents in St. Kilda and Port didn't put pressure on the ball carrier like we do.
And let Bobby off the leash, let him run and carry. We're a better side when we do.

Can a side match our brand when we're in our mood? I haven't seen it yet.
I look forward to that point in the match when we start to swarm and it generates the spill-over of emotions in our 24th player, our crowd.

Smash 'em lads.
Great analysis Laurie. Bring it on. Smash 'em Pies!